Z-wave interface failed out of the clear blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave interface failed out of the clear blue

I happened to manually activate a sprinkler and a few minutes later, I couldn't do a darn thing. I don't think the two are related but the bottom line is my z-wave system is dead as a door nail right now.

Here's a screenshot of where I stand. I did go from .140 back to .130, to no avail. There is no node info for the z-net. The Aeotec doesn't have any nodes right now, but that was a test I was doing a few days ago.

I need help, but I'm not sure what could have possibly gone wrong to end up with a mess like this.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    I happened to manually activate a sprinkler and a few minutes later, I couldn't do a darn thing. I don't think the two are related but the bottom line is my z-wave system is dead as a door nail right now.

Here's a screenshot of where I stand. I did go from .140 back to .130, to no avail. There is no node info for the z-net. The Aeotec doesn't have any nodes right now, but that was a test I was doing a few days ago.

I need help, but I'm not sure what could have possibly gone wrong to end up with a mess like this.
    Can you browse to the web interface on your Z-Net at 192.168.1.180?. Your second interface is disabled. If you click on the it will try to enable it.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Yes, that's not a problem.

AFA the second interface, I click on the exclamation and I get a "NO" circle, back and forth but no activating.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by racerfern; August 23, 2017, 05:43 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Yes, that's not a problem.
        Click on the "Submit" button on the Z-Net and it will reboot. If you click on it should change to . If you click on it should try to reconnect. If that doesn't work I would try restarting HomeSeer and the server to see if it will reconnect - it might be a communication failure at the server.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I followed your instructions and now have this when starting HS3.

Starting up....

8/23/2017 19:41:39 ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~3187-Z-Net: Exception transmitting to IP 192.168.1.180: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.Startup Complete, 1 errors detected, check the log for more information.

Then it seems I have this over and over.

Aug-23 19:45:33 Z-Wave Aeotec: ============================================================ ==========
          Aug-23 19:45:33 Z-Wave Warning Trying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 192.168.1.180...
          Aug-23 19:45:32 Z-Wave Error 3187-Z-Net: The 3187-Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2).
          Aug-23 19:45:27 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
          Aug-23 19:45:26 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.180, connected to interface ok.
          Aug-23 19:45:26 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Aug-23 19:45:26 Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface 3187-Z-Net (HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet) at 192.168.1.180, port 2001
          Aug-23 19:45:26 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Aug-23 19:45:26 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: ============================================================ ==========
          Aug-23 19:45:26 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: Exiting Ethernet Communications Thread
          Aug-23 19:45:22 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
          Aug-23 19:45:22 Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Interface Aeotec (Node 0) on Network 00000000 FAILED initialization with the message: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface., will keep trying.
          Aug-23 19:45:22 Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Interface 3187-Z-Net (Node 0) on Network F3B630EB FAILED initialization with the message: GetControllerInfo failed, will keep trying.
          Aug-23 19:45:22 Z-Wave Error Aeotec: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
          Aug-23 19:45:22 Z-Wave Error Aeotec: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface.
          Aug-23 19:45:22 Z-Wave Error Aeotec: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
          Aug-23 19:45:22 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.180, connected to interface ok.
          Aug-23 19:45:20 Z-Wave Error 3187-Z-Net: The 3187-Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2).
          Aug-23 19:45:17 Z-Wave Warning Trying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 192.168.1.180...
          Aug-23 19:45:16 Z-Wave Error 3187-Z-Net: The 3187-Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2).
          Aug-23 19:45:10 Z-Wave 3187-Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
          Aug-23 19:45:10 Z-Wave Warning Aeotec: The serial port () was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
          Aug-23 19:45:10 Z-Wave Aeotec: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
          Aug-23 19:45:10 Z-Wave Aeotec: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Aug-23 19:45:10 Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface Aeotec (Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Stick) on
          Aug-23 19:45:10 Z-Wave Aeotec: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Aug-23 19:45:10 Z-Wave Aeotec: ============================================================ ==========

Comment

I had something similar to this quite a few months ago, also out of the clear blue. At that time I was told by @zwolfpack to execute a bunch of linux commands. Not sure what happened this time.

Comment

I had something similar to this quite a few months ago, also out of the clear blue. At that time I was told by @zwolfpack to execute a bunch of linux commands. Not sure what happened this time.
              This looks like the same symptoms as last time. You didn't by chance put the Aeotec into the znet USB port? Due to the way the 1.0.23 update is (mis)coded, booting it with a UZB or Smartstick installed will hose it royally and can only be straightened out by a bunch of Linux commands (tm).

I'll look up the previous thread...

Comment

I did put the Aeotec into the USB port, but that was a day or two ago and I don't remember re-booting since then. At least until a few hours ago when all hell broke loose.

I tried to find the old thread from you but couldn't find it. That won't happen again. Thanks for the reply, I look forward to hearing more from you and hopefully getting a fix for this from HS.

Comment

Here is your original thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=188732

Starting around post #15.

Summarized, check the file /etc/ser2net.conf. Near the end, look for a line starting with
                  2001:raw:

The 4th field needs to be /dev/ttyAMA0. I suspect in your case it has been changed to /dev/ttyACM0, as happened last time. This due to a cr@ppy script that was added in update 1.0.23 and is located at /var/www/Main/uzb.sh. If a USB zwave stick is present at bootup, the znet is configured permanently to try to use it; even if it gets removed it won't revert to the internal card.

To fix, you can edit the /etc/ser2net.conf to change the 4th field to /dev/ttyAMA0. Also recommend changing field 3 from 0 to 120. Or you can just create a brand new copy using this command:

echo "2001:raw:120:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200" | sudo tee /etc/ser2net.conf

To prevent this from happening again even if you accidentally insert the device in the znet:

sudo rm /var/www/Main/ser2net.conf

That is the file that gets copied by the uzb.sh script. If its gone, this won't happen.

Comment

@zwolfpack

First of all, I thank you very much! I had forgotten the original subject of the thread was something different so I was searching for something I would never find.

I hava also contacted HS support and pointed them to this thread. Hopefully they will issue a fix.

I assure you, I will never insert the Zstick into the z-net USB port again, either accidentally or on purpose. However I do remember that the first time this happened I didn't even own the zstick.

I've bookmarked the thread and hopefully will not have to access it again.

Since we're on such different time zones it put a smile on my face to wake up and find this post.

Comment

Eureka! Thanks again.

Now, since the first time it happened I owned an Aeotec Z-stick but hadn't inserted it into the system we know that was not the cause.

Not knowing any better, I happened to have it plugged into the z-net for a few days before this all happened. I wonder why it happened mid-afternoon yesterday for no apparent reason.

I'm sure there are others with a z-net and some other third party controller. Is it safe to plug into the PC running HS?

Any chance this will get fixed in a FW update?

Comment

Well now, this is strange. After recovering from this mess, I excluded the devices attached to the Aeotec, then removed the Aeotec itself. So now I only have one controller, a z-net.

However, I keep getting the following warning over and over:

Aug-25 14:52:53 Z-Wave Warning Aeotec: The serial port () was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                        Aug-25 14:52:29 Z-Wave Warning Aeotec: The serial port () was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                        Aug-25 14:52:01 Z-Wave Warning Aeotec: The serial port () was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                        Aug-25 14:51:37 Z-Wave Warning Aeotec: The serial port () was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                        Aug-25 14:50:47 Z-Wave Warning Aeotec: The serial port () was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                        Aug-25 14:42:28 Z-Wave Warning Aeotec: The serial port () was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...

Any suggestions as to what could still remain to cause this and how to resolve?

Comment

Stop & start the plugin?

You only have the one controller enabled on the Plugins->Z-wave->Controller Management, correct?

Comment

I just stopped and started plugin. We'll see.

Correct, only one controller (z-net). I removed the Aeotec and have it physically sitting in a box until I feel comfortable to try this again.

Comment

Working...
                            X