Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overloaded remote computer with speaker can affect main computer performance

Editted for clarity:

My HS 2.0 has been running great for the last month.

I started a remote speaker session on my main desktop computer to experiment with remote VR.

Well tonight my HS computer got real slow in voice responses. I then heard the speaker app on my desktop was even slower.

My desktop was running hard encoding a movie. I killed the speaker app on the remote desktop and tried speech my main HS computer again. It was again very quick and responsive.

CONCLUSION: Remote speaker apps running on an overloaded remote computer can affect the performance of speech on the main HS machine.

Happy New Years! Bill
    Last edited by Bill Brower; January 3, 2006, 06:40 PM.

~Bill

Huh?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Seems very odd. More clarification, Bill?

Was the remote computer doing any TTS or VR when it bogged down the HomeSeer computer?

It would be interesting to monitor the network traffic when this happens. It sounds like HomeSeer and the speaker client are constantly communicating. It also sounds like the HomeSeer speech engine waits on the client.

Comment

Remote computers can affect your HS computer via the speaker client

Hey Rocco!

My Desktop:
        ~Running Speaker Client
        ~Encoding a movie using 100% CPU
        ~Desktop Speaker Client to get slow and glitchy

HS computer:
        ~HS computer Speaker Client to get slow and glitchy

-----------------------------------------------

My Desktop:

~Running Speaker Client
        ~Running under normal/light load
        ~Desktop Client runs fine and quickly

HS computer:
        ~HS computer Speaker Client runs fine and quickly

~Bill

Comment

So Bill are you saying that you have HS send a voice command to both the HS computer and the PC running the encoding session. The PC with the encoding sesson sounds choppy which is expected but the HS PC sounds choppy as well? Is this consistant or could it have been the HS pc was processing something at the same moment it was speaking? What's the speed of the HS PC?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes, both computers were choppy with the remote computer encoding. This was consistant until I unhooked the speaker client from the encoding computer.

The reason I mention this is I am concerned some people may be having issues due to remote speaker sessions over a bad network connectin or on a slow remote PC.

~Bill

Comment

Bill, I saw this also here at work. I have my work PC running speaker app, however most of the time it is muted and I just watch the balloon for info.

My wife called one day and said Marsha sounds like she is stuttering. So I told her to smack her on the back of the head.... just kidding....

Anyway, It turns out that when I am running some heavy duty stats software with the speaker app on and Marsha speaks, then she stutters...

Interesting.

Marsha is our HS2 computer. dedicated, winxp pro, 2.6GHZ, 1GB ram....

Comment

Working...
              X