This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Insteon Hub as a network enabled PLM

There is one plm underneath that both the plugin and cloud account use, so the links have not been duplicated or a problem at all. When you add an existing device to the cloud account, the plm knows it has a link to it and moves on. Its somewhere between ingenious and butt simple.

Having said that I start with the plm and add devices to the cloud second. I have added 2 insteon devices, my garage door sensor and a test switch. My goal is to get texts or emails when the garage goes up...haven't gotten that part working yet....the hub firmware needs some work. I have been using the x10 features to send on/off messages to HS events.. making it a poor man's HS touch..heat setback, etc.

Having devices in both spots does not seem to be a problem, but not much functionality can be expected with this version of firmware. I have a laundry list of other sqwaks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Paul

Comment

Will a combination of Mark's PLM plug in and the Hub let you get around the link limitation of the PLM?

Comment

Nope

Paul

Comment

The email features work on the newest mobile app. It looks like you have to reboot your mobile device to get it working

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
            If you are using the Insteon smart phone apps with the new hub, where your hub will be exposed to the internet, its worth reassigning the default hub port to something else. If/when you do this, Mark's plugin needs to be informed of the new port number as well. Here are the steps:
            1. Pick a new port number between 0 and 65335 that you want to use. For the most part it doesn't matter, however there are some to avoid:
            • If you have or plan to have an internet TV, internet cable box or other UPNP managed LAN services, here are some to avoid
            • You only have to avoid the port assignments if you might ever use that service, reusing most listed ports for this purpose only is fine. For example port 27 is NWS..something not used for many years. If its something you don't recognize, its most likely ok
            2. Use a browser to access your hub on your local lan: http://x.x.x.x:25105/config.htm
            3. Change the port value to your selected port number under Edit Port, click save
            4. Unplug, replug the hub and validate the new port number by repeating step 2 with the new port number
            5. Use this new port number in the PLM plugin for addressing the port internally on your LAN
            • Shut down and restart HS
            • Check that the plugin comes up right, no unexpected error messages
            6. If you already have set up your hub through a cloud account, the smartphone app will be notified and and change its port number automatically.
            • If you haven't set it up yet, you may have to enter it in the smartphone app. I'm not able to tell since I went down the other path

Paul, why are you suggesting to change the port number? What is wrong with 25105?

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
              Paul, why are you suggesting to change the port number? What is wrong with 25105?
              There is absolutely no security on the hub from the outside world. The only prevention you can do, and it's minimal but every bit counts, is to change the default port which everyone knows. It won't deter the hacker pros but could discourage the overly curious.

The other thing to do is to do port mapping on your router if possible.

Comment

Insteon is slowly catching up with the hub. I got this email today. Most of my gripes have been addressed. I hope the new version is out by summer and this starts a new phase for insteon.

March 6, 2013

Dear INSTEON Hub Customer,
                We apologize for the multiple shipment delays and any Hub-related issues that you may have experienced. Your feedback and patience has been greatly appreciated while we work hard to resolve these issues.
                Here are just a few of the features we have been working on:
                Hardware revisions to the Hub:
                • Dual-band communication
                • More robust and stable connectivity
                • Security enhancements
                • Increased powerline signal strength
                • Numerous stability improvements
                • Accuracy when creating scenes has been improved
                • Ability to add devices by INSTEON ID
                • Tutorial videos can now be skipped
                • Support for I/O Linc
                • Slider control for dimmable lights
                • Device status requests are now more efficient
                • Schedule enhancements
                • Improvements to X10 device signaling
                • More coming soon
                INSTEON Leak Sensor.
                Before we begin shipping the revised Hub with updated hardware we want to do as much testing as possible. Everyone receiving this letter is eligible to participate. If you are selected to participate, you will be sent an updated Hub and will have access to the newest versions of the INSTEON for Hub app. Please know there are a limited number of units available and therefore participants will be chosen on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you would like to be a participant, Click Here. If you are not interested in being a tester, you do not need to respond to this letter or take any other action at this time.
                Thank you very much for your continued support.

Sincerely,
                The INSTEON Team
                Paul

Comment

New Insteon set up -- adding to my HS mostly all zwave... and elk... should i start with the Hub now that its refined, or use the plug in module?
                  HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

I think the hub is the way to go. Since your Insteon set up is new, you can probably weather a few warts as Smarthome works out their kinks.

I have been using mine since I put it in around Chrismtas time for managing my insteon network. It works well. While I look forward to the improvements, its doing its job.
                    Paul

Comment

that was kind of what I thought vs installing the powerlinc usb modem... unless it doesnt have the dual band... i would only operate a few things from insteon as i am in good shape with z wave and elk but i really like the kepypad linc controllers and have tried to add via x10 and its not working for me
                      HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Yeh, I think you will find the keypadlinc experience to be perfect under insteon.

The current hub does not have dual band but the new one they are releasing will. If you order right now, you might still get a single band hub.., which they will replace later with a dual band when that version is released.
                        Paul

Comment

Hi Mark,

Just wondering if this is the same device that you are talking about in terms of the network PLM. I am interested in changing my X10 network over eventually to a more reliable technology (improved speed etc) and this seems to be the way to go, however in Australia our options are quite limited to X10, Z-Wave or just recently Insteon.

The device our suppliers are selling is:

http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/...pro.php?ID=703

Would this be compatible with your plugin?

Regards,

Travis Hale.
                          HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by travisdh View Post
                            Hi Mark,

Just wondering if this is the same device that you are talking about in terms of the network PLM. I am interested in changing my X10 network over eventually to a more reliable technology (improved speed etc) and this seems to be the way to go, however in Australia our options are quite limited to X10, Z-Wave or just recently Insteon.

The device our suppliers are selling is:

http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/...pro.php?ID=703

Would this be compatible with your plugin?

Regards,

Travis Hale.
                            Yes, this is the same insteon hub that i currently support.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Travis,

I received and installed a Hub that I ordered from Envious Tech about 4 weeks ago.
                              I am controling it with this plug in and it appears to be working well with HS2.

I also ordered & just installed one of the Switchlinc 2478D wall switches - which is rated for 240v 60hz. It works fine via powerline signals but not via RF as it is set to use the USA freq rather than AUS.

Comment

Advice Please.

I have a number of Insteon, and still have some X10 devices.. My Thermostat is X10. Most of the Insteon devices are the first iteration and I am now looking to replace 5 of them as they have failed in some way.

So far I have been controlling everything with X10 with some success as some of the devices don't respond anymore to HomeSeer. Currently I am using a x10 Powerlinc to interface with.

In addition to replacing the switches I have decided to upgrade the HomeSeer interface to Insteon with hopes that HomeSeer will now see all the devices and be able to control them.

After reading most of the posts in this thread and some comments on the SmartHome reviews is the Insteon Hub the way to go? Or should I just purchase one of the other supported interfaces?

Comment

Working...
                                X