Raspberry Pi 3 Z-NET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi 3 Z-NET

Does anyone know if there are plans to or when a Raspberry Pi 3 Z-NET will be released? or if it's possible to swap the Raspberry Pi board in the current Z-NET with a Raspberry Pi 3 board?

I'm assuming HomeSeer is waiting to deplete the current stock of Z-NET's based on the Raspberry Pi 2 before they release a Raspberry Pi 3 version.

Mainly interested in using the Raspberry Pi 3 built-in WiFi more than anything, not sure if the increased processor speed will do anything for the Z-Wave traffic.

Looked at building my own Z-Wave interface using a Pi 3 and a RaZberry to interface to HomeSeer, but by the time you buy the Pi components $50-$60 and the RaZberry $60-$70, and deal with how to make it work with HomeSeer I may as well just buy a Z-NET and be done.

What are others thoughts on building a separate Z-Wave interface to HomeSeer using a Pi 3 and RaZberry or some other Z-Wave device vs just using a Z-NET?

My Z-NET is based on a RaspberryPI B+. It's not even an RaspberryPi2... It has been both fast and flawless for about 18 months.

I added a TP-LINK WN823 USB adapter to it and have it comfortably sitting inside a closet in the middle of the house, about 30-35 feet away from the PC running HS3 Std. The PC running HS3 sits in my Office at the front corner of the house. No problem whatsoever with this setup.

About the RaZberry daughter card:
    I have purchased one from z-wave.us over the weekend. It should be on the mail as we speak. I purchased it so I could try a different HA system that runs natively from a Mac, without the need to disrupt HS3 setup.

Having compared it to the Z-NET, I suppose they are very much the same in terms of hardware/software. Both seem to use network sockets to communicate. Z-NET uses port 2001, while RaZberry seem to run off port 3333. Both appear to use ser2net to bridge serial and network. Once it arrives, I figure it will be as easy as downloading the RaspberryPi image from z-wave.me, baking it to an microSD card, booting it up, then connecting to it by using find.z-wave.me to configure. From there, it should not differ from a Z-NET in anyway. Will post back once it arrives.

Comment

According to the Z-Net page, as of 07/18/16 the Z-Net has "onboard" WiFi. One would have to guess that it would be a Pi 3.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...ace-P1902.aspx
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        According to the Z-Net page, as of 07/18/16 the Z-Net has "onboard" WiFi. One would have to guess that it would be a Pi 3.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...ace-P1902.aspx
        Nice!

Comment

Looked at building my own Z-Wave interface using a Pi 3 and a RaZberry to interface to HomeSeer, but by the time you buy the Pi components

It'll be better to purchase the Z-Net as it works with Linux and Windows HS3 motherships.

The DIY for Z-Wave using GPIO card on the RPi-==>3 is different in that it only works Linux to Linux. Basically here enabling remote Z-Wave plugin via an SSH/script connection from the mothership to the RPi with GPIO card. I do this on autostart. If I disconnect the interface it will not connect until I run the script or use the console on the RPi.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

What are the hardware differences between the Z-NET v1 & v2 anyway?

The v1 uses this daughtercard
            http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1244

Which doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Comment

Here did a custom RPi2 with GPIO card and RTC shim under the GPIO card. Today it is just running the Z-Wave plugin and remote connecting the Linux Zee-2 HS3 lite running on an Xi3/Xi5a or Pine64 (both now at Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit). I have a HS Z-Wave stick that I used to use as a secondary - primary is doing well in the attic (POE connected).
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                What are the hardware differences between the Z-NET v1 & v2 anyway?

The v1 uses this daughtercard
                http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1244

Which doesn't seem to be available anymore.
                I guess the answer is - it depends.

The first v2 I received on July 18 has a Pi 2 B board and the same GPIO card as your link except it is Rev E.

The v2 I just received has a Pi 3 B with the same Rev E GPIO card. This would make sense as HS stated that WiFi would be onboard after July 18.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I guess the answer is - it depends.

The first v2 I received on July 18 has a Pi 2 B board and the same GPIO card as your link except it is Rev E.

The v2 I just received has a Pi 3 B with the same Rev E GPIO card. This would make sense as HS stated that WiFi would be onboard after July 18.
                  Interesting, thanks. Not much info out there on that card. Its a pretty simple interface hardware wise. Wonder what changed such that the v1 & v2 images aren't compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                    Wonder what changed such that the v1 & v2 images aren't compatible.
                    Apparently I was mistaken ... znetv2 image works just fine on v1 hardware

Comment

Image availability

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- is the znet (v1 or v2) image available for download directly, or did you just pull them off of the shipped devices?

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by hjk View Post
                        Sorry if this is a dumb question -- is the znet (v1 or v2) image available for download directly, or did you just pull them off of the shipped devices?

Just curious.
                        I have pulled an image off of each Z-Net I received. I contacted HST technical support and was able to get an image last year when one of mine died. You could probably talk to them and get an image if you need one.

Comment

Working...
                        X