www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Irrigation Plug-ins > Irrigation Discussion

Irrigation Discussion Discussion of irrigation integration with HomeSeer systems.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 13th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Seer

Sprinkler controller opinions; total newb to irrigation

So after this drought here in NE I decided to spruce up my front lawn by de-thatching, pouring on 5 yards of topsoil, seeding, and trenching two parallel zones/6 head irrigation of a 30x50ft lawn. 45degree at the corners and 180 degree in the middle. I think I've settled on Hunter I-20s to reach the 25 feet between heads, fueled by 3/4" poly lines.

So now i'm looking at controller options. I am requesting opinions on the two hardware offerings (or others) I have seen mentioned on HS forum; OpenSprinkler and EtherRain. I am an open source supporter by default, but will not hesitate to throw money at a good company - bought HS3 pro kit and kaboodle, love it and hope they don't sell-out to google or Microshaft

I understand mcssprinkler can interface both, that's great, and i think I will have a metric tonne of fun playing around with the plugin.

Now, I would like to get some input from ya'll regarding pros and cons of each hw controller. My needs are somewhat limited as this is two zone, which will expand to 4 for shrubs, but would like to have as much versatility as possible. Software or hardware wise.

I'll need to connect it via wifi as I can't easily run ethernet down to the basement main, if that's of any consideration. I'm really uncertain of what questions to ask in my case, as I have no experience with irrigation, and newly minted w HS3. But I get the technology bit, HS3 will be an esxi win7 guest on server grade hw. ECC, ZFS and all