Lost Computer Control of Z-wave devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Computer Control of Z-wave devices

I turned the main breaker off on 3/27 to try to install TED (couldn't). When I turned the breaker back on I had a power strip die. Today 3/28 I learned that the Z-wave devices are not being controlled by the computer.

I have Z-troller, Z-seer, HS2, HSTouch, and a mix of Z-wave switches, dimmers, lamp, and appliance modules. The only things that changed from the working day to the non-working day are:
    1. Power turned off and on
    2. Power strip stopped working
    3. Unplugged one z-wave lamp module
    I tried:
    1. unplugging and plugging back in the Z-troller from computer and power, but did not remove batteries.
    2. restarting the Z-troller
    3. using Z-seer to optimize and test nodes
    4. restarting computer
    5. turning computer off and back on
    6. using the various tools to manage Z-troller
    I have had a problem with the Master Bath Switch (not dimmer) locking up and I have to unscrew the 9 CFLs to unfreeze it. Please don't tell me that I'm going to have to do this with each and every fixture in the house.

I have attached the log from today showing all of the warnings etc.

BTW Z-seer has moved the Kitchen Light's status from yellow to red. It has never been green and has been a problem child from day one; it insists on being node 51 when I think the next highest node number is in the high 20's or low 30's.

Any suggestions? <!-- attachments -->
    Attached Files

Originally posted by vegascat View Post
    3. Unplugged one z-wave lamp module
    This is one thing that caught my eye... have you since reconnected that lamp module or did you leave it unplugged? If you left it unplugged, have you deleted it from your Z-Wave network? If that module was close to the Z-Troller it's possible that the Z-Troller was trying to route everything through that module and now that it's gone you're having problems. If you have a number of devices (and it sounds like you do) this shouldn't really be a problem, but even so, you should delete it from the network if you're not planning to reinstall it.

1. unplugging and plugging back in the Z-troller from computer and power, but did not remove batteries.
    Definitely try to pull the batteries for 30 seconds or a minute. It won't hurt anything and I have seen cases where pulling the batteries fixed weird issues like this.

HTH,
    Brett

Comment

Originally posted by vegascat View Post
      BTW Z-seer has moved the Kitchen Light's status from yellow to red. It has never been green and has been a problem child from day one; it insists on being node 51 when I think the next highest node number is in the high 20's or low 30's.
      The Z-Troller won't re-use device ID's untill it runs out of them and is forced to. So if you have a device 11, then delete it, the next device you add will be device 12... even if you re-add the same device that was 11. I'm guessing that you added and deleted a number of devices between the low 30's and 51.

Comment

Z-Troller Works after major network surgery

Anyhow, I got the computer control back after all of this and Z-seer shows much better interconnectivity than before, except for Area 51 that has a switch directly next to it; 51 connects to just two other nodes, but at least it works again; along with everything else.<O</O

Comment

I wonder if you have a node that was never truly uninstalled.
          It is always best to uninstall a device instead of deleting one.

If so I hear the only way to delete it may be to delete every single device and reset the Ztroller.
          I always try to uninstall a device prior to install because I have had new devices that were installed and not reset.

I have seen that you cannot delete a dead node if it still has power and can communicate.

Comment

Working...
          X