No announcement yet.

New - RainMachine Plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by kevins669 View Post
      Success! It created the Zones and Programs!

The Status refresh is a little wonky, as when I click Stop, it does not seem to refresh the status. It does stop in the Android app I was monitoring.
      Since it looks like the call is getting an error, that probably explains why you're not getting the status refreshed.

Also, the RM doesn't send status and has to be queried to get the current status, so it should update at the next query interval. I think I had the default query interval at 10 seconds as a compromise between getting updates quickly but not overloading the RM.

But hey, this is a great start. I can provide feedback on UI and other operations, whenever/if ever you want to. Not sure how in depth you want to get with this. What else can I try? Just let me know.

Thanks so much, Bob.
      Whatever ideas you have send them. I pretty much just let my RM run on it's own and don't really need it under the automation system's control. I wrote this mostly to see if I could create a plug-in for it. Thus, I'm open to any and all ideas.
      --
      Bob Paauwe
      ISYInsteon Plug-in
      http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

I just picked up My RainMachine will be installing it Sunday. Im Looking forward to this plugin. If I can Help I will Send info as well

Comment

Just installed it - appears to create all the correct zones and programs for my gen 2 - I can't test anything until I use sprinklers (live in Michigan, few months) - but, is there a way to get "Paused" status as a device too? I put my machine into Paused mode for the 5 months as we don't water in the winter...

Can't wait to try this out in a few months!

Comment

Originally posted by rileydogmi View Post
            Just installed it - appears to create all the correct zones and programs for my gen 2 - I can't test anything until I use sprinklers (live in Michigan, few months) - but, is there a way to get "Paused" status as a device too? I put my machine into Paused mode for the 5 months as we don't water in the winter...

Can't wait to try this out in a few months!
            I'm not sure what "paused mode" means. I see a "snooze for xx days" on my dashboard. Is that what you're setting? Or do you have other options in addition to setting the days?

The API shows the following restrictions:

Code:
              "hotDaysExtraWatering": true,
              "freezeProtectEnabled": true,
              "freezeProtectTemp": 2,
              "noWaterInWeekDays": "1001011",
              "noWaterInMonths": "000000000000",
              "rainDelayStartTime": 1479210751,
              "rainDelayDuration": 0
            But doesn't explain how to interpret the results. I'm guessing yours may have the "noWaterInMonths" may have a value. Ah, those may be bit fields so the noWaterInWeekDays may mean no watering on sun, wed, fri, sat.

So are you looking for a HS device that just shows the overall status of the RainMachine? I.E. status = active vs. status = paused(inactive)?

I can understand not doing much watering in the winter in Kalamazoo, unless maybe you wanted to make some snow I grew up not too far from there ... the Pontiac/Flint area and my grandparents had a cottage just south of Kalamazoo new Three Rivers.
            --
            Bob Paauwe
            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Actually, yes - it would be nice to have a status for that program (active, etc.) - on my iPhone, there is a red banner that says watering is paused but digging deeper I am using month restrictions to not water during the winter months. I also turn off the program when the water lines get flushed out in the fall.

Don't think I will be doing much watering - we are having severe flooding here - worst since 1947 I am told - all the snow melted this week and several inches of rain to boot! Thankfully I am in a good place and not in the water but a good part of downtown Kalamazoo is not reachable by car!

Thanks for your help,

Comment

I just installed this plugin for a RainMachine (firmware:4.0.925) and it seems to be working. Nice plugin!! I did notice the following items.

- The on/off icon doesn't change when the sprinklers are turned on
                - The RainMachine rows aren't grouped together on the "Home" page

Comment

Is the Rain Machine plug-in a fully functional, supported plug-in? I am considering upgrading my sprinkler controller, and am looking at Rain Machine and Rachio. Both got good reviews on wirecutter.com, and HS integration would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                    Is the Rain Machine plug-in a fully functional, supported plug-in? I am considering upgrading my sprinkler controller, and am looking at Rain Machine and Rachio. Both got good reviews on wirecutter.com, and HS integration would be nice.
                    I don't know about fully function yet, but I am supporting it.

The main problem I have right now is that I have one of the original Rain Machines and there are some significant differences in the API between it and the new models making it difficult to add and test features that only the new models have.

I am curious to know what you'd want out of the integration with HS. Right now the plug-in will monitor the RM's state and does allow zones to be controlled (and programs to be started/stopped). It's always interesting to hear how others want to integrate things like this.
                    --
                    Bob Paauwe
                    ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
                      I don't know about fully function yet, but I am supporting it.

The main problem I have right now is that I have one of the original Rain Machines and there are some significant differences in the API between it and the new models making it difficult to add and test features that only the new models have.

I am curious to know what you'd want out of the integration with HS. Right now the plug-in will monitor the RM's state and does allow zones to be controlled (and programs to be started/stopped). It's always interesting to hear how others want to integrate things like this.

Most of the integration I can think of (and I haven't actually integrated a sprinkler controller yet) would be simple monitoring and on/off control. Other things might be turning on the lawn sprinklers when motion is detected in the middle of the night, or turning off the sprinklers when the weather forecast calls for wind. Maybe turning off the sprinklers when a car is pulling up the driveway.

Comment

Most of the integration I can think of (and I haven't actually integrated a sprinkler controller yet) would be simple monitoring and on/off control. Other things might be turning on the lawn sprinklers when motion is detected in the middle of the night, or turning off the sprinklers when the weather forecast calls for wind. Maybe turning off the sprinklers when a car is pulling up the driveway.
                        Cool. That type of control/monitoring should be possible with the current plug-in.

The one issue with the RM is that you have to poll it for status which isn't ideal for monitoring. I'm currently polling it every 10 seconds to check on the zone/program status. My 1st gen hardware doesn't seem terribly powerful and I was concerned about placing too much load on it if I polled more frequently.

This could impact something like the motion detected case if the sprinklers just turned off and within the 10 second window, motion was detected then HS wouldn't realize it should turn them back on again. This might not be a bad thing since you probably don't want them turning off/on rapidly anyway.
                        --
                        Bob Paauwe
                        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Cool. That type of control/monitoring should be possible with the current plug-in.

The one issue with the RM is that you have to poll it for status which isn't ideal for monitoring. I'm currently polling it every 10 seconds to check on the zone/program status. My 1st gen hardware doesn't seem terribly powerful and I was concerned about placing too much load on it if I polled more frequently.

This could impact something like the motion detected case if the sprinklers just turned off and within the 10 second window, motion was detected then HS wouldn't realize it should turn them back on again. This might not be a bad thing since you probably don't want them turning off/on rapidly anyway.

Do you have other ideas for integration scenarios? What was your motivation in developing the plug-in?

Comment

Do you have other ideas for integration scenarios? What was your motivation in developing the plug-in?
                            I'm mainly interested in monitoring the system. I've pretty much just left the RM to do its thing and I've been pretty happy with it.

My main motivation is that I enjoy writing and working on the plug-ins. Since there wasn't an existing plug-in for the RM, I figured I could write one.
                            --
                            Bob Paauwe
                            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I'm mainly interested in monitoring the system. I've pretty much just left the RM to do its thing and I've been pretty happy with it.

My main motivation is that I enjoy writing and working on the plug-ins. Since there wasn't an existing plug-in for the RM, I figured I could write one.

That's great. Could you work on one for the NuHeat floor heating thermostat?

Comment

That's great. Could you work on one for the NuHeat floor heating thermostat?
                                Do you want to send me one?

That's actually something I've been interested in but haven't been willing to purchase a new thermostat. Our heated floors were installed before these wi-fi controllable thermostats were available.

Looks like the NuHeat Signature thermostat can be accessed via a cloud service but they don't publish the API. There are a couple of people that seem to have reverse engineered it. So I'll actually think about it, but it's tough to test without having the hardware.
                                --
                                Bob Paauwe
                                ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
                                X