"I'm not paying to cool the outdoors!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I'm not paying to cool the outdoors!"

I can't tell you how many times I've said that. So ... help me with this solution:

The backdoor is opened and stays open for ~10 minutes (this is common as we like to leave the door open in the summer) ... then the A/C turns off.

I'm thinking of using a TriggerLinc to detect and poll the door state. If it remains open, shut down cooling.

Thoughts? Any implementation pointers?

I have ZTroller and ZWSTAT thermostat.

I do something similar with a DS10A on a window, and my thermostat for heating. My AC is actually 3 units. 2 "portable" floor standing and 1 large window unit.

If the window is open too long, it turns off the heater if it is on. Same with the AC, if the module exists the system will shut down the AC units (it assumes we want the window open).

Reminds me, I need to

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

SkizzlePig,

I do almost exactly that. However I have two events, the first one speaks “Hey Deb, The patio door is open” at the 20 minute mark if the system is cooling and it is hot out. A second one at 25 minutes does not turn off the A/C but raises the cooling set point. I don’t want to turn the other parts of the house into an oven. I also then create an action that when the patio door closes it resets the cooling back.

I leverage my Vista-20 alarm and a Trane Z-wave thermostat.

Here is the first event.

Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

I also have HS speak a warning that the door is open, and if it continues to stay open, then I shut off the heat or AC unit. I then continue to run the warning for another few minutes.

Comment

Thanks guys.

.. and thanks Chris for demonstrating how you did it. I'm sure I'll be chatting with you more soon.

Comment

I have the same intent as you are doing. I've got the hardware just need to create the logical events.

If you have your ceiling fans controlled by HS, then you can also turn them on when the HVAC status is on to move around the air in the rooms. When no motion is dected then you can not run the ceiling fans.

With your orginal idea a combo between an alarm system that has zones for every window, door, and motion sensor will allow you to do the conditional logic to control fans, HVAC zones, and such.

Hope this helps as it looks as if you have you head around this.

Charlie
            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Working...
            X