Can't get Skill or API working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 288 Not working

Hi, I too am having a problem with Alexa finding my z-wave switches and I am on V 288. I have tried the procedure in http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180033 post several times but still no discovery. Any idea what the problem is?

Comment

I am using the api only I think, and it has discovered a lot of my zwave devices which I can control by just saying alexa turn on... for running events i have to say alexa, tell homeseer to run event ... which is rather long winded so not practical. It has not discovered my LightwaveRF lights which I control via RFXcom. Can I control them without going via virtual switches ? Also I have some multi state virtual switches, it did not discover those, so I guess Alexa can only control on/off virtual switches ?
      I will try to enable Homeseer skill too, but whats the difference ?
      Lots of questions, only got my Echo yesterday and started playing with it today

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
        I am using the api only I think, and it has discovered a lot of my zwave devices which I can control by just saying alexa turn on... for running events i have to say alexa, tell homeseer to run event ... which is rather long winded so not practical. It has not discovered my LightwaveRF lights which I control via RFXcom. Can I control them without going via virtual switches ? Also I have some multi state virtual switches, it did not discover those, so I guess Alexa can only control on/off virtual switches ?
        I will try to enable Homeseer skill too, but whats the difference ?
        Lots of questions, only got my Echo yesterday and started playing with it today
        You must have both the API and the skill enabled. The skill is what supports "alexa, tell homeseer to..." while the API does not need "tell homeseer to" for any simple on/off devices discovered.

I read many posts trying to understand the technical difference beyond that behavior regarding processing flow because I was worried my Zee S2 would be doing VR and not have enough power for it. I think there have been some misconceptions floating around regarding processing flow. Wade weathered several of my questions to put a fine point on what is happening. Turns out they are both really similar in that the "alexa" command is pretty much the only VR the echo itself does, then what you speak afterwards gets streamed to amazon and VR processing done there for both the API and skill, then amazon sends text words through your MyHomseer connection to your HS3 machine, and your HS3 machine parses the text to figure out what action to take.

Other please chime in if I got something wrong.

John

Comment

Ok thanks very much for that explanation, I am slowly understanding the skills and api bit I think. I must have both then, as I can say alexa turn on the ... as well as Alexa tell HS...
          Any idea of how I could control my RFXcom devices (without using virtual switches) ?

Comment

Working...
          X