1wire thermometers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1wire thermometers?

I'm a new homeseer user (switched from Promixis) and am looking to wireup my home with temp sensors using 1-wire communications as they seem to be the best/cheapest option ($3-5 per sensor). Is there any plugin or anything I can use to monitor these sensors in homeseer.

My main plan is to wireup each room and be able to create a screen on HStouch to view all the temps on a page. I also want to be able to control Insteon devices (fans, etc) at specific temps.

Originally posted by justinm001 View Post
    I'm a new homeseer user (switched from Promixis) and am looking to wireup my home with temp sensors using 1-wire communications as they seem to be the best/cheapest option ($3-5 per sensor). Is there any plugin or anything I can use to monitor these sensors in homeseer.

My main plan is to wireup each room and be able to create a screen on HStouch to view all the temps on a page. I also want to be able to control Insteon devices (fans, etc) at specific temps.
    If you want quick and easy and need no more then four sensors then there is a DS1820 kit http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k145.pdf and can bring the temps into HS with a script (for you then to do what you want with). My old temp system died so i'm just about to build that kit and go for the DS1820 sensors.

If you want to eventually talk with other 1-wire devices then I think there are quite a few methods/plugins/interfaces available, an expert will probably be along shortly...

Comment

Sure, there's the temp05/temp06 scripts as well as the a couple of plugins for the temp05/06 units. There an UltraOnewire2 plugin, BL1Wire, etc. There are dozens of plugins/scripts to read these sensors depending on the interface you use to connect them to your HomeSeer server. Try doing a search on this board for temp05 and you will get a ton of hits.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If you want just the basic set of weather-related sensors then there are lots of options as Rupp indicated. UltraJones has a plugin that will do the basics with a few of the available interfaces. mcsTemperature also has Temp05/08 and DSxxxx interfaces. The cheapest approach is with DS9097U or DS9490U serial/usb adapter. This also gives you the maximum number of device types that you will be able to interface (e.g. LCD, Digital Potentiometer, Moisture, hub etc.). xapmcs1Wire provides the interface from 1-wire to xAP (LAN protocol) and mcsXap is the Homeseer plugin that recognizes the xAP protocol. If you are planning a lot of wire runs to get to various locations then I strongly suggest using a 1-wire hub for reliabilty and fault isolation. xAPmcs1Wire supports this hub.

Comment

I used an HA7E.
          http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibu...uct.cfm?ID=666

You send ascii commands to it from a com port and it sends back the info from the ibuttons. You can put up to about 100 devices on it. I used it to read temperature ibuttons and ID ibuttons. The only thing is, you have to poll it. It would be better to use a device that sends an interupt when the data changes or something like that. But this interface is only around 39$ and you control it with scripts you write. I liked that idea.
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

I'm planning something like the DS9097U with a few temp sensors, then adding more when I have more time to program and setup settings. How reliable are 1wire devices? I want to rely on these to cool expensive devices.

Comment

How reliable are 1wire devices?
              As reliable as the quality of your physical architecture and connections. If you do a good job there then the weakest link is the PC environment. Something like the TINY server (linux) where you control logic can be embedded would provide a better second level reliability.

Comment

How reliable are 1wire devices?
                I've got a few of the 1820b sensors that I think I put in place over 5 years ago, but I don't actually remember exactly when it was. Two of them are mounted outside, and temps here in Denver have gone over 100F and down to below -20F. Although they are mostly reliable (reporting temps every 10 minutes to my Homeseer box for over five years), they do seem to lose their accuracy at extreme temps. At the very low temps, they report it a bit warmer than it really is, and at the extreme high temps they report a little lower.

I have to admit that they do temporarily go brain dead when the temps are a -20F for several hours. The readings went bonkers for a while, but came back when it warmed up.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X