Automated Z-wave Network Backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated Z-wave Network Backup?

Is there as way to automate (as in an event) the backup of the Z-wave Network?

I looked at the Z-wave event actions and don't see it there. The only way I know to do it is go to the Z-wave Controller Management page and manually select the "Backup this interface" action.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
    Vector

Somebody can let me know if I'm wrong, but I use Blade's BLBackup free plugin.
    I backup my entire HS3 Directory into a zip.

If you ever have a catastrophic disaster, you just unzip it over the 'old' files, and restart Homeseer.

It has saved my butt many times...

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
      Is there as way to automate (as in an event) the backup of the Z-wave Network?

I looked at the Z-wave event actions and don't see it there. The only way I know to do it is go to the Z-wave Controller Management page and manually select the "Backup this interface" action.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
      Vector

There is no way to do it from an event. But really, are you adding Z-Wave devices so often that you would need this?
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I use Acronis to do complete backups. But I am not sure how that gets me to a restore network xyz to my znet. Am I missing something?

S-F, no I don't add that frequently, but honestly my experience with Z-net devices and/or the plugin (not sure which causes the problems) is not great. I am growing weary with the finicky random problems that cause me to have to contact homeseer for troubleshooting because the strange stuff happens and there is no real comprehensive troubleshooting guide. Right now I am dealing with 2 z-nets (each with their own separately named network somehow thinking that they are on the same IP address even though find.homesser.com clearly shows them correctly. This causes the second network to go down.

Don't get me wrong. I love what I have done with the system and continue to think of more, and appreciate the Homeseer folks and the great community here. I am just frustrated by the never ending tweakiness required for the z-wave stuff. End of rant!

Regards,
        Vector

Comment

You could always just restore the HS3 portion of your Acronis backup.
          ALL data for HS3 is in the HS3 directory and sub-directories. Your Z-Wave info will be restored to whatever it's status was from the date of your backup.

Does this make sense to you?

Comment

The OP brings up a valid point.

The problem is that the Z-Wave network is stored in the controller. Backups of the system are great, but they do not store the "node map" of the network. If you remember to back up your controller each time you add or delete a Z-Wave network you're golden. Most of us don't change our networks often, once they are built.

Unfortunately there is no event action to back up the controller. I would like to have Z-Wave actions available in events to restart and to backup the controller. As it is right now the only thing I have been able to do is to send myself a reminder email once a week to create a fresh backup, in the off chance that I forget to create one after a change in the network.

Even an old backup is useful, but if you have added any new devices since the backup, they will need to be excluded/included again if your controller fails. Any events created for the new devices will have to be fixed.

The good news is it seems like the Z-Wave controllers are very reliable, but if yours fails, you could save a lot of grief if your backup is current. It is no treat to completely optimize a large network, but losing your node/Reference ID relationship would be a disaster.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Anything come of this? I'm also interested in backing up the controller via an event.

Comment

I'd also like this (at least to snapshot weekly).

Comment

The new Z-wave plugin versions take automatic backups of the network after each include or exclude. BLbackup handles the rest.
                  HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                  Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                  on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                  WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Working...
                  X