Random WD100+/WS100+ thoughts and observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random WD100+/WS100+ thoughts and observations

After having installed another three of these yesterday, putting my total up to nine, with a few more to go . . . .

(1) These are easily the best Z-Wave switches you can get IMHO, surpassing my previous favorite, the GE/Jasco switches.

(2) Triple and double tap functionality -- I didn't think I would use this. I use it like crazy. For dimmers, I set double-tap up to go to maximum brightness, and double-tap down to go to a preferred low (mood lighting) value.

(3) Triple and double tap works even with the accessory switch! That is, triple and double tapping on the accessory switch is no different than triple and double tapping on the primary switch to which it's connected.

(4) For some strange reason, I had issues add/including the three I installed yesterday, although there was no change in my system since the time I installed the prior ones if memory serves (version .93 of the Z-Wave plug-in, .280 of the main system). It kept failing to retrieve the ZWPlus info from the switches.

I upgraded the Z-Wave plug-in to the latest version (.95) and the main system to the latest version (.293 I think) and that did the trick. Although it then did something weird where I couldn't go into the Z-Wave tab of *any* device (got some sort of Z-Wave long name error). I reinstalled the plug-in, and then everything worked again.

(5) Feature request 1: would be nice to control the brightness of the LED and for dimmers, have the LEDs are go dim or have just the highest LED lit after a brief time-out.

(6) Feature request 2: would love to have a version of the dimmer that is "made" for LED lights. I notice when buying LED light bulbs and fixtures they tend now to give an approved list of dimmers (Leviton of some sort).

Thanks for the post, I was just about to ask for opinions on the HS, vs Leviton vs Cooper Z-Wave dimmers.

The HS are new to the market and don't come in any colors other than white.

Can you better describe (or post a few photos) around #5 below. I'd like to know more about how the LED indicators work/look like.

And for #6, are you saying they don't dim LED bulbs well?

Comment

We're away for the holidays -- I'll take a picture when we're back home. But basically for #5, the number of LEDs lit corresponds to the brightness level of the light. So, when you have your light fully on, all of the LEDs are lit. And the LEDs are fairly bright (white LEDs). I'd prefer that this be configurable -- say just the "top most" LED be lit, or that the LEDs fade to a lower intensity level after a few seconds.

For #6, the ability to dim LED light bulbs is the same as any other dimmer that is not specifically made to control LED loads. It's not any better or worse in this regards. So if you have a "regular" dimmer that controls your LED light bulbs just fine, then the HomeSeer dimmer will work the same.

I've found that there are quite a bunch of good quality "regular"-type LED light bulbs (Edison base, A19 shape) that respond well to dimmers. The problems that I've seen are more with track lighting bulbs (get a buzzing, regardless of brand), and LED light fixtures that require a special dimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
        But basically for #5, the number of LEDs lit corresponds to the brightness level of the light. So, when you have your light fully on, all of the LEDs are lit. And the LEDs are fairly bright (white LEDs). I'd prefer that this be configurable -- say just the "top most" LED be lit, or that the LEDs fade to a lower intensity level after a few seconds.

OK, I follow you now. I have a HS dimmer still in the box I was going to play with this weekend but I totally understand what you are saying from the post. Fully brightness then all LED indicators on and this may be a little obnoxious.

I currently have a house full of Leviton X10 dimmers and while they have 7 LEDs, only one is on at the time so I can easily see what my levels are and it's not too busy looking.

Have you checked to see if there is a setting in the software of the dimmer? Surely if it's not there now I would think a firmware update could add this capability. (Homeseer, if you're reading this I'm about to replace 25 Leviton X10 dimmers with something. If you add this feature, HS will be my choice)

Comment

No setting. I know it's been requested before, but the latest firmware update did not include it.

Comment

Just an FYI in case you missed it but HS has already indicated that some FW changes are coming that will affect the LEDs.

Rich from HS confirmed it about a week ago in another thread. Here is his response to a post asking for changes to LED behavior:
            We are looking at some changes to better control the LEDS, which will do what you want. Will post more when we finalize.

Here is the entire thread so you can read it in context - Firmware Feature requests for HS Switches/Dimmers
            Last edited by wsume99; December 22, 2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I can see why some people may see a problem with LED brightness but I would guess that is only a problem if the switch is not in the same room as the light. Or maybe they use a dimmer switch to control one small table lamp or accessory lamp in the room.

In most cases if you have the room light on full bright and all the LEDS are on on the switch it shouldn't seem bright or over powering in the room since the room lights are all on bright also. And when you dim the room lights the leds start shutting off (which makes the switch not so bright) so it shouldn't be over powering either. And when the lights are off and the room is dark so are the LEDs on the switch so that also shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Comment

Working...
              X