Simplifying speech commands with multiple Google Homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplifying speech commands with multiple Google Homes

Problem I want to solve: Simplify the speech to turn on the light in 2 separate rooms, each with it's own Google Home unit in the room (living room and bedroom).

At the moment, if I want to turn on the living room light only, I have to say to Google Home, "Turn on the living room light". And to turn on the bedroom light, I say to Google Home, "Turn on the bedroom light". Wife is not happy with this and she thinks it is illogical!!

To make the wifey happy, what I want is to just walk into the bedroom and say, "Turn on the light", and only the bedroom light will turn on. Similarly, I would like to walk into the living room and say, "Turn on the light", and only the living room light will turn on.

At the moment, if I say "Turn on the light" in either room, Google Home will turn both lights on, and report that it has turned on 2 lights. That gets the wife shouting at me

The above result is with and without assigning the lights to rooms, and with and without the use of nicknames in the Google Home app. I've tried all the combinations.

Is it possible to achieve this level of speech simplification?

To the wifey, it seems inconsistent with the way the music service works. For example, I have Spotify linked. If I walk into the bedroom and say "Play some music", music will play just on the bedroom GH speaker, and not the GH in the living room.
    Last edited by ; October 1, 2017, 12:26 AM.

I have anticipated this WAF and avoided getting a 2nd echo or home until one of these platforms supports default location. Waiting patiently....

Comment

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post
      Problem I want to solve: Simplify the speech to turn on the light in 2 separate rooms, each with it's own Google Home unit in the room (living room and bedroom).

At the moment, if I want to turn on the living room light only, I have to say to Google Home, "Turn on the living room light". And to turn on the bedroom light, I say to Google Home, "Turn on the bedroom light". Wife is not happy with this and she thinks it is illogical!!

To make the wifey happy, what I want is to just walk into the bedroom and say, "Turn on the light", and only the bedroom light will turn on. Similarly, I would like to walk into the living room and say, "Turn on the light", and only the living room light will turn on.

At the moment, if I say "Turn on the light" in either room, Google Home will turn both lights on, and report that it has turned on 2 lights. That gets the wife shouting at me

The above result is with and without assigning the lights to rooms, and with and without the use of nicknames in the Google Home app. I've tried all the combinations.

Is it possible to achieve this level of speech simplification?

To the wifey, it seems inconsistent with the way the music service works. For example, I have Spotify linked. If I walk into the bedroom and say "Play some music", music will play just on the bedroom GH speaker, and not the GH in the living room.
      Google Home is all new to me, but can you actually do these commands without triggering Google with "Hey Google" "Ok Google"?

Comment

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post
        ... At the moment, if I want to turn on the living room light only, I have to say to Google Home, "Turn on the living room light". And to turn on the bedroom light, I say to Google Home, "Turn on the bedroom light". Wife is not happy with this and she thinks it is illogical!! ...
        Careful what you wish You may want to turn On the light in another room from your bedroom, so specifying which light makes sense. A compromise might be that simply saying "Turn on the light" with no qualifier would indicate to GH to only turn the light in the room where it is.

That being said, I get the feeling that determination is done on the GH side, given HS uses the Smart Home API.

Comment

I am suggesting that each GH/echo device maintain its own default location or "Group/alias".

Comment

Working...
          X