X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keypad and Fanlinc turning off fan

Hello,

In a previous post you provided me a beta release (3.0.6.31), which made the Keypad and Fanlinc work in perfect harmony - thanks. However I found one small detail with Alexa voice control that is not ideal.

Setup (See screenshot below):
    The Keypad buttons are linked to Fanlinc high, medium, low, and off. The keypad "Sync linked responder devices" box is checked so the keypad leds and fanlinc are all working together. If I say things like "Master fan medium" everything works perfectly.

Problem:
    The only small problem remaining is that if I say "Master fan off" the fan turns off but the keypad leds do not change. If I say "Mater fan on" the fan turns off and the off led does work. This behavior makes perfect sense with this setup, but I obvious would like to use the "off" keyword. So I need the Keypad off led to activate when it is turned off (Not on). Perhaps this is the button mode "non-toggle off" from the tooltip, but is not actually available in the combobox. Could you help with this issue?

The best approach is to create an event to update the Off btn as necessary. There is nothing simple i can do in the plugin.

the non-toggle On isn't necessary. i'm surprised its not interfering with the radio group setup.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

No solution to turn off fan by voice

Thank you for the reply, but it appears saying "turn game room fan off" may be impossible. Below are a few failed attempts including your event recommendation. Again I have a keypad with radio buttons (A=Fan high, B=Fan medium, C=Fan low, D=Fan), and I am just missing Alexa command "turn game room fan off. The fan does go off, but the keypad radio button D does not illuminate.

Events (Insteon special triggers):
      These events do not fire when insteon is activate with Alexa commands.

Events (A Phrase was recognized):
      These events only work with the Alexa phrase "Alexa ask Homeseer ..." (Prefer to avoid saying Homseer). Jon00 scripts might help avoid using Homeseer. However it requires a special browser installation and complex setup, which then probes Alexa history.

Homeseer virtual device:
      Tried creating a virtual device and linking it to the Fan off button (Keypad Button D). This really changed nothing as I still have to say "Alexa turn virtual device on" to get the fan off button to illuminate.

As a side note I choose the "non-toggle on" button mode because if I repeatedly press Keypad fan medium the button will stay lite. This is a very minor convenience so I will switch to "toggle on" if I encounter any problems.

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368
      Insteon plugin v3.0.6.0.32

Thanks,
      aidesigner
      Last edited by aidesigner; March 31, 2018, 07:18 PM. Reason: Added additional clarification.

Comment

your event should trigger on game room fan changes to off, then the action should control a device and turn btn D on.

insteon special triggers only fire on incoming insteon msgs.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working with one last issue

It worked and thanks for your patience. Since I have gone this far could I have all the keypad lights go off with the "fan off" button. This is how the keypad6 Load off button (bottom row) works (i.e. Never lite). This is nice at night because the entire keypad is dark. Actually for the Load off button having the led always off has a hardware procedure for my exact reason (www.youtube.com / watch?v=p7pqHb3g_Dk).

I figured all I had to do is add keypad D off action to the end of the event you suggested (See Image). However I encountered the 2 problems below and would enjoy your insight. One solution is to take a hammer to the button D led

-The 4-buttons are set to toggle/"radio group 1", and the previous lite button eventually pops back on. The radio button mode of the keypad really wants to keep 1 led active. However I can manually press the lite button and get all leds off.

-Alexa seems to timeout "Sorry .. not responding" when I have more than 1 insteon action. The sequence is Ask Alexa fan off -> Keypad D off -> Fanlinc fan off -> Event fan off -> action (Keypad D on) -> action 2 (Keypad D off) [Why does take 10seconds?]. Everything still happens, but the Alexa feedback is annoying. This seems like it might get in the way in the future as well. It is almost like Homeseer needs to acknowledge Alexa before trying to execute a set of actions.

As an alternative maybe I will just dim the keypad leds (Near bed). I do not see any software support, but here is the insteon hardware procedure.

Thanks again
          Last edited by aidesigner; April 1, 2018, 07:31 AM. Reason: Add details

Comment

maybe you don't need button D in the radio group since you want them all 'off' when the fan goes off. Btn D would be taken completely out of the equation.

when you use the "game room fan off" cmd you could set all three btns (a,b,c) off

there are insteon actions for setting the led brightness and turning back-lighting off
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
            X