This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost all Insteon devices

Hi all. Long time user here and I've managed to ignore my HS setup for quite some time as it's been running just fine. Unfortunately, after a recent restart of HS, I noticed that all my plugins got disabled. After re-enabling, I see that all my Insteon devices are gone in HS. When I go to Manage Devices, it says "No Insteon devices have been configured. Please use the manual or tap-add buttons to add a device." Kind of freaking out because I don't want to have to re-add everything and recreate all events.

I followed the recommendations in this post - http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180162 - but unfortunately my options to restore old configurations are limited. My current Insteon.ini file has no devices in it. The only other copy, Insteon.ini.bak, is also empty except for the basic default configuration. I don't have any Insteon Error Report.Log files.

Looking at my HomeSeerData.hsd and backups, it see that most of them have recent dates, which don't have these Insteon devices either. There are a couple older HSD files and when I try opening one of them, I do see my Insteon devices in HS, but cannot control them. If I restart HS with one of those old HSD files selected, a new HSD is created and the Insteon devices disappear after the restart.

Any other suggestions to try? Is there a way to check that these devices are still in the interface and read them into HS from there? I'm using the PLM (2413S).

Painful

I can truly understand your pain. I have gone thru this three times ....it reminded me of the importance of regular backups.....you get lulled into it's working I've made no changes in weeks and all of a sudden ....your system is toast.....and you last backup was 3 months ago..

No one can seem to answer the why or what bug is doing this..... I just went thru this myself this weekend. Fortunately I had a recent backup and only lost 2 weeks of work.......

Now I have daily backups using Bladebackup and I have 2 Qnap Nas system backing up on separate devices......while this didn't answer any of your questions...... Many of have felt this pain and frustration....

Devoir

Comment

you can get the insteon ids by running the "display interface links" plugin function (from the config page) and then register the devices which will bring back all the links.

please update to the latest release 3.0.6.0. I revised the backup routine for the insteon.ini to keep several copies.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks Mark. Yes, I saw that plugin function. So, that will show me my device IDs but it doesn't give any "friendly" names so I'll still have to figure that out. When you say "register the devices", do you mean add them as new in HS? That will assign new HS IDs so I'll have to redo my events with the new devices right? Or am I misunderstanding? Is there a way to assign the Insteon IDs to the same HS devices?

Comment

yah, no friendly names. these aren't save on the network.

you could do tap-adds so you know what devices are you are adding.

the hs ids are lost. as you register devices via the plugin, they will get new hs IDs.

do you have any tools for looking for a deleted insteon.ini file on your drive? maybe you can restore a copy that way.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I can look for some undelete tools. Got any recommendations? Does the Insteon.ini get deleted as part of HS operation? I did see that the plugin now has backsups, but unfortunately I'm on the older version. The irony is that one of the reasons I was restarting HS was due to updating some plugins. So, unless I can restore an old Insteon.ini, I will have to recreate the devices in the plugin and that will force new HS IDs, right?

Comment

no suggestions on undelete tools.

I had a thought on rebuilding the file...
              if you know the insteon ids of the devices in the homeseer database, I wonder if you can build an insteon.ini manually.

if you disable the plugin, and start hs, your insteon devices won't be deleted. so you can see the basic devices. Then build an insteon file in the following format:

I don't think the order matters. You could try this for a few devices and see if it works and see if the events and triggers remain intact.

[device 1]
              DeviceID=aa.bb.cc

[device 2]
              DeviceID=xx.yy.zz
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

That's the kind of solution I'm willing to try. Thanks! I'll work on it tonight when I get home. So, I only need the two lines per device? No other details?

Comment

Originally posted by independentpete View Post
                  That's the kind of solution I'm willing to try. Thanks! I'll work on it tonight when I get home. So, I only need the two lines per device? No other details?
                  I guess I would add the following line to each section as well

Protocol=2

the following is probably important but I don't know how you will determine DeviceType=xxxx
                  leave it out for now
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

OK, so I got all my device IDs written down. Then I disabled the Insteon plugin, edited the Insteon.ini file to add the info for one device, restarted HS, and enabled the plugin. The Insteon.ini still has the device info in it, but I cannot see the Insteon device in HS.

Did I do this right?

Might you be able to post an example of an entire "[Device]" section from your Insteon.ini file?

Comment

do you have a homeseer database that includes the insteon devices? you may need to restore one
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Yes. Well, I think so... You mean the HSD file, right? When I look at the various copies of the HomeSeerData.hsd file, I have a couple that go back to dates when I had the Insteon devices in HS. So, when I go to Tools > Setup and select one of those older files in the drop-down in Configuration File, the Insteon devices reappear. However, when I try to control one of those devices that I've manually re-added to Insteon.ini, it doesn't respond. If I restart HS, all the Insteon devices are gone again.

I had the plugin generate an error log and I see something of interest in there. For each device, it has a line that says...

Code:
                        11/30/2016 8:07:32 PM - Deleted nn.nn.nn:n because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.

Comment

do the devices that you manually added to the insteon.ini appear in the plugin? if so, try the 'program device for homeseer' and then read the links and settings
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

In the plugin, when I go to Manage Devices, it says "No Insteon devices have been configured. Please use the manual or tap-add buttons to add a device." Yet, I still see the device in HS.

Where is this "program device for homeseer" option you mention?

Comment

ok, there are some additional things to add to the insteon.ini
                              ;replace x with the last device number below

add the following to the top

[config]
                              NumDevices=x

for each [device x] section add the following:
                              DeviceName=Lights
                              DeviceLocation=Office
                              DeviceType=xxxx

the xxxx is very important but may be difficult to determine
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X