Turning a Pi2 into a Zee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning a Pi2 into a Zee

Today I run Homeseer on an enterprise type server. Unfortunately something has come up at work and I need to repurpose the server. The main plug-ins I use are zwave and Insteon by msandler. I use a ZNET and a USB PLM.
    where would I start getting my Pi2 turned into zee?

how would I get my config over to the zee?

If it's the Standard or Pro version of HS3 on your enterprise server, just install HS3 on a Raspberry Pi3. You will likely need to rebuild your events since going from Windows to Linux might not work due to mono constraints.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by jogentry View Post
      Today I run Homeseer on an enterprise type server. Unfortunately something has come up at work and I need to repurpose the server. The main plug-ins I use are zwave and Insteon by msandler. I use a ZNET and a USB PLM.
      where would I start getting my Pi2 turned into zee?

how would I get my config over to the zee?
      Also unless you install the full Linux install you will need an additional Pi license. The full HS3 license only works on a Non-HS3Pi install ie full Linx installation.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Also unless you install the full Linux install you will need an additional Pi license. The full HS3 license only works on a Non-HS3Pi install ie full Linx installation.
        Can you elaborate on the full Linux install?

Comment

A full Linux install on the RPi2 would be Wheezy or Jessie Lite.

Don't forget to change the default passwords.

I like to create a homeseer and nickname user plus I like to set up a root password.

Creating a new user is easy.

1 - sudo adduser newuser * answer all of the questions
          2 - add user to sudo ==> sudo usermod -aG sudo newuser

changing root password is easy

1 - sudo passwd root

Adding access for root ssh is easy

1 - sudo nano /etc/ssh_config
          2 - change PermitRootLogin without-password to PermitRootLogin yes
          3 - make sure line reads as so: PasswordAuthentication yes
          4 - save the file
          5 - sudo service ssh reload
          6 - test it by sshing to your new box ==> ssh root@ipofhomeseerbox

Baby steps and take your time. You cannot break anything. Make sure you keep a copy of the current HomeSeer directory in Windows.

The Pine64 2Gb machine will run Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit server and Homeseer faster than the RPi2 or RPi3.

An add for Linux Homeseer running would be Mono. Default new Mono is 4.XX (Mono 3.XX or Mono 4.XX) IE:

1 - sudo apt-get update
          2 - sudo apt-get install mono-complete
          3 - sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc
          4 - sudo apt-get install libmono-system-web4.0.cil
          5 - sudo apt-get install libmono-system-design4.0.cil
          6 - sudo apt-get install libmono-system-web-extensions4.0-cil
          7 - sudo apt-get install libmono-system-runtime-caching4.0-cil

After install make sure you update the builds; do it a couple of times.

IE:

1 - sudo apt-get update
          2 - sudo apt-get upgrade

To run Homeseer 3 you will need a Homeseer Zee, Homeseer Standard or Homeseer Pro license.

Homeseer 3 in Linux is just a directory that typically sits in the /usr/share/HomeSeer directory.

Download Homeseer 3 for Linux here:

1 - wget hxxp://homeseer.com/updates3/hs3_linux_3_0_0_297.tar.gz
          2 - tar xavf hslinux_zees2_3_0_0_297.gz

I personally put my Homeseer Zee directory in the root /HomeSeer
          Other users sometimes use /opt/HomeSeer

Whatever directory you choose just check out the scripts to make sure the HomeSeer directory references are correct.

Read on in the forum to autostart HomeSeer.

Personally here manually start it to check it out then later on auto start it.

1 - manual start up is via /HomeSeer/go (leave the terminal window open)
          2 - manual start up via a cron job in the boot process running /HomeSeer/go
          3 - automatic start up with an upstart script (or sytemd).

I like to run Webmin to manage the hardware (whatever it is in Linux) and updates.

Webmin is installed by:

1 - wget hxxp://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.831_all.deb **
          2 - sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
          3 - dpkg --install webmin_1.831_all.deb

** xx equals tt

Many folks like to utilize Windows WinSCP. You can install WinSCP from here ==> WinSCP

In summary you have three tools to choose from for Linux Homeseer stuff:

1 - ssh to your Homeseer box
          2 - WinSCP to your Homeseer box
          3 - WebMin management

I have copied over the above to the How-To section over here ==>

Turning a Pi2 into a Zee
          Last edited by Pete; February 21, 2017, 02:16 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jogentry View Post
            Can you elaborate on the full Linux install?

Your existing homeseer standard or pro license should work for a homeseer standard or pro for Linux. A license for homeseer for RPI would need to be purchased separately.

Here I run homeseer 3 for Linux standard (3.0.0.258) on a raspberry Pi 3, running Raspbian Jessie lite (which is a Linux Debian distribution). Pete's directions look very similar to my notes when I built mine. My build runs great 242 devices 122 events 6 plugins running using less than 2/3 available memory, and less than 30% of any of the cores.

Do note, I ran into a little trouble with Mono because HS3 for Linux required some mono 3.x components.

Also, some plugins do not run on the Linux HS3 version.

Anyway, take your time, get your system up and running, don't go cheap on the flash media. Focus on processes that allow you to interface with the system.
            1. get HS3 auto starting.
            2. Get backups of HS3 setup and work out a transfer system to get them off the flash card.
            3. Folder access to your system is often helpful
            4. Enable ssh connectivity to the server

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@Joshua

Please let me know if I have written something that you do not understand and I will update verbiage in the Homeseer Help section where I have replicated the above. I understand that you have to have some Linux knowledge base for running in Linux. Most if not all of the Homeseer configuration is done via the web gui; similiar to Homeseer running in Windows these days. The Linux desktop gui creates a windows like environment but doesn't really do much for configuration of the OS / Hardware and basically just is a resource hog.

@Kerat

Please make suggestions relating to my verbiage above and I will update what I posted in the help section.

Relating to Mono I think it old Wheezy / Ubuntu 14.04 did not include it by default and new Jessie / Ubuntu 16.04 and above does include Mono 4.XX by default. I am not sure these days though.

Where I see issues in Mono are relating to use of Homeseer in Linux and Mono 3.XX and upgrading that Mono to V4.XX. I personally upgraded to newest Mono because I could and that did cause me issues.

Personally here migrated from Windows Homeseer 3 to Linux Homeseer 3 when Homeseer 3 for Linux was introduced. I was only running a couple of plugins and it was a non issue to replicate my configuration in Linux Homeseer 3.

Recently have seen a few folks just copy their Wintel Homeseer 3 directory to Linux Homeseer 3 making only a few changes to get it to run. This would be the fastest way to migrate. Some plugins will not work as they are written to work only in Windows and there you might have an issue.
              Last edited by Pete; February 22, 2017, 07:58 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X