Echo Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echo Show

Who is going to be first and what can we do with it?
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

I was waiting for someone to bring this up! If we can install apps I'll probably pick one up for the kitchen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Also Alexa messages. They enabled today.
      DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
      BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

There are a couple of threads on how to easily side load the Google Store on a Fire tablet. I tried this and it works great. Assuming the same OS on the Show, this would give you functionality to apps like Imperihome.

I like the look... but can get a tablet for less than $100, and an echo Dot for $45... so not sure about price tag :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
          There are a couple of threads on how to easily side load the Google Store on a Fire tablet. I tried this and it works great. Assuming the same OS on the Show, this would give you functionality to apps like Imperihome.

I like the look... but can get a tablet for less than $100, and an echo Dot for $45... so not sure about price tag :-)
          I believe Alexa comes with the Fire Tablets - is that correct?
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            I believe Alexa comes with the Fire Tablets - is that correct?
            yes, but i think you have to push a button... and no far-field mic technology.

Comment

Originally posted by DSteiNeuro View Post
              Also Alexa messages. They enabled today.

I have not yet tried calling or messaging but it looks quite interesting. Does anyone know if it will be possible for HS3 to send a message to Alexa? This would be really great. Things like "someone rang the doorbell", "Mary is home", etc.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I ordered 2 with the hope that some of these questions will be answered by the delivery date next month. Anything to further simplify the interaction between automation systems and tech resistant oldsters is welcome in my house and I have high hopes for what I will be able to do with these.

Comment

If HSTouch worked on it, I'd buy 6

Comment

I like the idea, but I'm still scared by the fact that they don't have a way to know which one you're talking to. Especially with one with a screen you can have these in places that sound will overlap.

I may get one or two to play with, but I'm not sure yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried messaging last night and it worked really well.

what i'm not so sure of is how it found any contacts of mine that had also set it up... but it found about 10. An old friend an I messaged back and forth about 5x (didn't try calling).

What I don't think you can do is intercom within your house, as I think each device has to be set to an individual user for this to work.

Comment

What I don't think you can do is intercom within your house, as I think each device has to be set to an individual user for this to work.
                        Which is a huge fail. Amazon is missing out on the full potential of the Echo devices and having multiple in a house. I would have multiple echos or google home's if they were to talk to each other and be able to know which one i was talking to (by proximity). I heard Google home can do that last part, but I only have 1, so I can't test this out.

Comment

what i'm not so sure of is how it found any contacts of mine that had also set it up... but it found about 10.
                          This is the area I feel like it is a let down. The Alexa app does not have it's own contact list, rather, it scans the contacts from your phone. When doing so, it figures out which users are registered Echo users that also have calling/messaging turned on (using either the contact's email or phone number, not sure). The only way to remove/add specific people is by doing so in your phone's contact list.

A couple problems with this:

1) About 80% of the contacts in my phone are people I would generally not call/message (like co-workers from previous jobs). I wouldn't really want them polluting my Alexa contacts list. I'd prefer to add just specific friends/family. That isn't possible.

2) You can't modify any of those contacts for Alexa usage. For example, giving them friendly names. My parents are in my phone's contact list under their full names, but when using Alexa, I'd prefer to say "Call Mom". But in order to do that, you'd have to change the names in your phone's contact list and re-import.

3) Another issue that I'm not sure about.... All the echo's in my parents house are registered to my step-dad. So, if I wanted to be able to use "Call Mom", I'm assuming I'd have to create an entry in my phone's contact list named "Mom" but having my step dad's phone/email or something. That's just contact list pollution.

So there appears to be very little flexibility with this. Hopefully this is just an initial release that will continue to get better.

Comment

Been testing this today and so far I am really happy with the way it works. Called my niece in Texas from the Echo in the kitchen and the call was crystal clear. She was thrilled to get a call using the new Alexa service and I can see us using this a lot for family communication.

I also like the way the Intercom works. A family member can just say "Alexa Call Mike" from any Echo in the house and all of the other Echos plus my cell phone start ringing. Whichever place I answer from it immediately turns into a hands free point-to-point call. I like how it is hands free both to initiate and pick up the call (unless I pick it up on the cell) and folks use the same method to reach me regardless if I am in the house or off somewhere.

A cool new feature for my existing Echos and will be even better when my Echo Shows arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                              Been testing this today and so far I am really happy with the way it works. Called my niece in Texas from the Echo in the kitchen and the call was crystal clear. She was thrilled to get a call using the new Alexa service and I can see us using this a lot for family communication.

I also like the way the Intercom works. A family member can just say "Alexa Call Mike" from any Echo in the house and all of the other Echos plus my cell phone start ringing.
                              Can you call/intercom other family members?

Michael
                              Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X