Century Link <> ZeeS2 issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Century Link <> ZeeS2 issues?

Still issues with my install in my cabin. I have a ZeeS2 and I have Centurylink DSL that only manages 10Mb down, 1 Mb up on a good day.

The issue is this... for awhile after a power cycle, the system works fine. Then a few days in, it either hangs up (I can't access through the web interface) or starts to serve info across the web very slowly and then hangs up.

Here's the confusing part...i have a blink internet camera that is attached to this exact same centurylink router / modem and it work fine. All the time fine.

I thought it was my ZeeS2, so I bought a replacement unit. Still had the problem.

I thought it was poor power in the cabin, so I now have the ZeeS2 on a small UPS. Still have the problem.

Am I missing a requirement that the ZeeS2 has with IP addressing? Something else? I am considering trying to find an entirely different DSL modem / router.

Man... this thing has put me through the wringer. Sadly, i am ignorant to most things networking. Use small words in any responses :-)

Thanks.

Have you ever run the ZeeS2 at your regular house for a while? I doubt that there is a incompatibility per se, but this is definitely irritating as I myself have run into weird things like this with my lake home (40' boat).

So my thoughts are:

1.) Have you bench tested the ZeeS2 in your regular home to ensure that it works over several days, weeks, etc?

2.) DSL is (in my opinion) not the most reliable internet service. Since the Blink seems to work fine, well, the 1 mb uplink is not ideal. But I understand that you more than likely can not do anything about that.

3.) I would create an event in the Zee to have it send you an email every hour or so. This would suffice as a sort of health check for HS. Keeping in mind that just because it executes events, does not necessarily mean that it can serve up web pages. But just another way of seeing what the scoop is.

What happens when you get to the remote house? Are you then able to connect to the HS web server from there? My point being, what happens in this state when you access HS from the local network? Does it work, or not?
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Thinking too it is related to your dependency on only using myhomeseer mobile connection to your Zee-2 versus a direct connection to your Zee2.

A simple ssh port 22 connection (called cheapo VPN) would allow web gui access and access to the OS so that you can have a look see what is killing your Zee-2.

SSH is encrypted and you can do a loopback for web access using the same tunnel.

It could be an issue related to a script or plugin.

You can run htop in Linux and see Homeseer and all of the plugins running and memory utilization.

You can also look at the Homeseer browser interface this way.

Remote here to a second home was only to check to make sure everything was running. Used texting for status and over the years turned it down a bit.

That said used VPN and the automation ran so well I never looked at it and only updated the set up. (ISP was using FIOS).
      Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2017, 12:18 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I gave it 24 hours, and system is back up and running for a short while.... things were great.

For 20 minutes. Then I received "cannot connect to system, might be offline" while I was setting up an hourly email test suggested by Krumpy.

Blink Camera works just fine.

It seemed to disconnect me, took me to the login page. I logged in, it took a very long time to respond, and served up a page of what appeared to be unformatted HS info.

I just hit the refresh button on my browser, and the main page for my system served up just fine. Attempting to access events, and it seems to have locked up again.

I'm nervous that this crashed in the middle of setting up a new event. Hopefully a crash while building an event didn't cause more issues.

I have the first ZeeS2, the one I pulled out thinking it was a bad unit. I could try and set that one up at home, although I'm not sure how I set up a second unit. Do I need to use a different login account for it?

At this point, I don't think this is a problem with an individual ZeeS2 unit. I think this is an issue with RPI ethernet interface to my century link modem.

It simply is not playing well together. I have to visit the cabin this weekend, and am considering disconnecting the Blink camera, just to remove a variable. I might ask Centurylink for a new modem, or perhaps see about buying a different modem which is compatible with Centurylink DSL just to try anything different.

The system does seem to run events just fine when the connectivity is broken.

If the connectivity is broken, I have to do a power cycle to bring it back if I want it back quickly. sometimes this does not work, and I simply have to wait and it will come back up in 24 hours or so. Sometimes it just locks up and is non-respondent for days until it gets a power cycle.

I have never tried to access the HS OS from a local network. Not sure even how to approach that... I only access it via the web, no matter my location.

Pete... sorry. You are over my head. Let me google SSH port 22 and do some research. I'm a bit confused as to how using VPN might help, but I'm open to trying anything at this point.

As a little bit of info, this is a vrbo cabin that I have. I usually turn off down the heat in between tenants, make sure the front door is locked when they leave. I also set up individual access codes for door lock too. So I frequently need to access the system and make modifications.

A really tough part on this is that I can't get up there during the week due to work schedule, so this is a weekend thing for me, and of course HS tech support is not open then.

Comment

Port 22 would provide direct access to your RPi2 / Zee2 giving you some diagnostics relating to the OS and the disconnecting issues.

Basically right now your connection to your Zee2 is indirect via the myHomeseer account.

I do not think this is an issue related to the ISP, router or ethernet port on the RPI. I have multiple RPis here and never have seen one have a hardware failure. As mentioned earlier I have had SD card failures.

I do see slow downs occasionally here at home with a regular sized internet pipe. It does make it appear that Homeseer isn't running sometimes as there is really no throttling of the different functions that occur with the RPi2-3 (Zee2). It would probably be more pronounced with a smaller internet pipe.

I have never tried to access the HS OS from a local network. Not sure even how to approach that... I only access it via the web, no matter my location.

Locally on the same LAN you would just type the IP and port (change it from the default of 80) to see the GUI. Remotely from the WAN you would configure a port on your firewall to access your Zee2. IE: if you utilize 8080 for your local access port you would configure the firewall for port 8080. Note that this is only for the web gui.

I mention port 22 because it would be using an encrypted tunnel and it would connect directly to the Zee2 OS and you could utilize the same tunnel to go directly to the Homeseer 3 GUI.

The simple functions of your remote control should not affect the up and down of the Zee2. Your camera works fine so that means that your ISP connection is good.

There is also a program / software called Webmin you can run on your RPi concurrent with Homeseer. Webmin would give you an eyes in to your RPi2 mostly relating to the base RPi operating system rather than just Homeseer. Here utilize it on all of my headless RPi's.

PM and I can help you configure up the means of doing diagnostics. I will look from here in the Midwest.

It is understood about your having to make adjustments between rental tenants.
          Last edited by Pete; December 9, 2017, 12:32 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I agree with Pete. It would be ideal to eliminate the myHS technology as it could be timing out and not necessarily reconnecting. I personally have never got it working reliably either.

It would be ideal to establish some sort of VPN or SSH tunnel. Or do you have a spare PC that you could install TeamViewer on and leave it there for remote diagnostic?

I am going to send you private message with my contact info and we can discuss.
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
            X