Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I already have a few scripts that run every 30 seconds, so what's a few more. Except for feeding data into a few other plug-ins via devices, most everything else can use the APIs to populate custom web pages, and even mainlobby for that matter. Actually, I THINK MainLobby has buillt in functionality for thermostats. If not, you should be able to call the APIs within Mainlobby, granted I haven't tried it as of yet. Yes, it is extra work, and yes, the devices will only be as accurate as often as the scripts are executed. Granted, I don't believe the thermostat information in HS is exactly real time either for obvious reasons and will only be as accurate as to whatever your polling is set to, I think... Hmm, maybe that is a question for RJ, when you call the APIs, are the results of the APIs read directly from the thermostat, or are the results from the API read from HS, which is only updated every 60 seconds or whatever your polling is set to?

Originally posted by cadillackid View Post
    I too need individual devices, this is going to cuase me to have to rebuild ALL my mainlobby scenes, rewrite a BUNCH of scripts and my companion HVAC controller program that used hs.devicevalue instead of "rcs.gettemp" to read temperatures, setpoints etc... I just dont see what the problem is in creating separate devices for each zone.

sounds Like I need to ressurect the old plugin project from the grave and rewrite the comms routine to be more reliable then we can have our separate devices...

seems quite a few of us want that functionality so why not add it in. I think most people create their own status pages anyway or are using ML , touchpad, or ultraview so it doesnt seem like "cluttering" the page is an issue here.

events are great but when populating custom status screens or wanting other plugins or such to use data from the RCS.. now we will have to have a script to go in and do all these read commands and manually populate devices which seems totally unneccesary and redundant!
    -Christopher
    HS: 2.5.0.60
    Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
    Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
    Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
    Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
    UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
    Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Please give me a list of what individual devices you need. None of our thermostat plugins have more then one device per stat, and this is the first time someone has asked for this. I am guessing the old RCS thermostat plugin had more devices. What was in each device? If you are using a script command to get info from the device, what difference does it make if the info is held in a device string or an API call? I'm just trying to understand what you are doing with these devices.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The only devices I'm needed to create are a device for each thermostat that holds the temperature value so another plug in can pick it up. I've already remedied this by running a script every 30 seconds to update my own temperature devices. Anything else that I'm doing needs to be a script anyway as I track HVAC usage, that state of each zone, etc and this is a script that triggers every 30 seconds as well (if we get the damper status thing going). Having individual devices and being able to put them in the appropriate location was nice, but not a show stopper. Obviously no one else has issues with this :-)

Comment

One thing that would help is if it would be possible to have an event that was based off if the temperature simply changed. Right now, the only options triggered of a temperature change are if the temp increases, decreases, less then, greater then or changed to. I'm not seeing an obvious way to trigger an event based off of a change only, regardless as to the direction of the change. It doesn't appear that you can set up a conditional event either. If I could trigger an event off of a temperature change alone, I could probably eliminate my every 30 second events in favor of this one. Now, if I'm just not seeing how to set this up, please let me know :-)

Comment

I hate to beat a dead horse, but we would have that if we had individual devices. That's my point. Why have generic triggers and conditions with all that flexibility if every single plug-in has to duplicate the built-in behavior? More code to do the same thing means more bugs, more confusion, more....

</end dead horse mode\>

Jon

Originally posted by jstaab View Post
            One thing that would help is if it would be possible to have an event that was based off if the temperature simply changed. Right now, the only options triggered of a temperature change are if the temp increases, decreases, less then, greater then or changed to. I'm not seeing an obvious way to trigger an event based off of a change only, regardless as to the direction of the change. It doesn't appear that you can set up a conditional event either. If I could trigger an event off of a temperature change alone, I could probably eliminate my every 30 second events in favor of this one. Now, if I'm just not seeing how to set this up, please let me know :-)
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Hi Guys-

My appologies on the last two posts, this should have been in the plugin.

A small oversight on my part that will be included in the next build.

Please, rather than debating, if there is something that can be added as is that is missing, just let me know and I will do my best to add it.
              -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

It's an old argument... UI vs. flexibility and easy integration. If you wanted to serve both sides I believe that you can. Here is what I'm thinking....

Have an option in the plug-in to enable individual device support. If the option is OFF then just do what you are doing now.

If the option is ON, here is what the plug-in should do:

Instead of a composite device with a big text description (Temp 40 Outside 20 HeatSet 65...) each statistic and control should be a separate device.

(I don't know how well this will format)

Status Location Name
                69 F Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Current Temp
                20 F Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Outside Temp
                65 F Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Heat Set Point
                80 F Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Cool Set Point
                65 F Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Heat Set Point
                Auto Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 HVAC Mode
                Auto Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Fan Mode
                Run Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Hold/Run State
                Heating Main Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Current Request

69 F Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Current Temp
                20 F Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Outside Temp
                65 F Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Heat Set Point
                80 F Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Cool Set Point
                65 F Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Heat Set Point
                Auto Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 HVAC Mode
                Auto Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Fan Mode
                Run Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Hold/Run State
                Heating Upper Floor RCS Thermostat Zone 1 Current Request

Heating 1 HVAC Controller RCS Zone Controller System State

The thermostat setpoint devices would be value based. The mode devices would be status/value pair.

This is just a different (and larger version of) the current thermostat displays but it allows for simple and logical control of the devices. Devices can be hidden if the data (like mode) isn't usually important, but it can be quickly viewed by showing all.

The system states can be toggled from the main HS status page rather than going to a thermostats page. The state of an entire room can be viewed instead of a piece at a time.

Right now I'm doing this by running a script that calls a dozen functions on the plug-in just to populate the devices... so many people are doing this that it seems to make sense to have the plug-in do it itself.

That's my 2c

Jon

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                Hi Guys-

My appologies on the last two posts, this should have been in the plugin.

A small oversight on my part that will be included in the next build.

Please, rather than debating, if there is something that can be added as is that is missing, just let me know and I will do my best to add it.
                Jon Ort
                JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Oman has it right as far as the devices... to answer a question as to what I use them for, I display the setpoints and temperatures in mainlobby and trigger homeseer events based on the device values of the temperatures and setpoints... 1 question i have is how often does the plugin go out to the actual thermostat for data? with my old plugin I went out to the stat once every 4 seconds or so.. or is this plugin taking advantage of the capability to have the AUTOSEND active on the stat and will make changed to the devices based on this?

this is important for my variable speed blower control, I have to know right away when a zone is done calling so I can lower the speed before its damper is closed...

Im still using the old plugin till I know this new one is ready... I rewrote part of the comm routine in the old plugin and it works much better but id rather let go of that and use the true supported Plugin.

-Christopher
                  PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

There is a parameter to set the polling rate which I believe is used to go retrieve all the information which updates HS.

Oman has it right as far as the devices... to answer a question as to what I use them for, I display the setpoints and temperatures in mainlobby and trigger homeseer events based on the device values of the temperatures and setpoints... 1 question i have is how often does the plugin go out to the actual thermostat for data? with my old plugin I went out to the stat once every 4 seconds or so.. or is this plugin taking advantage of the capability to have the AUTOSEND active on the stat and will make changed to the devices based on this?

this is important for my variable speed blower control, I have to know right away when a zone is done calling so I can lower the speed before its damper is closed...

Im still using the old plugin till I know this new one is ready... I rewrote part of the comm routine in the old plugin and it works much better but id rather let go of that and use the true supported Plugin.

-Christopher

Comment

Oh, in addition, you still have all the usual triggers for events, such as temperatures and set point changes. Plus, you should be able to use the thermostat API in MainLobby to retrieve the data.

-Christopher

Comment

Hey Gang-

I am posting a new build now. There are not multiple devices, but the request for the "changed to any" trigger has been implemented. The help file has been cleaned up quite a bit, with some screenshots added to help with configuration.

We are just about ready to declare this plugin "done," so if there are still features or bugs please let me know.
                        -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

The dampers were the big issue, and the stat state vs. the system state - are they working now?

Jon

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                          Hey Gang-

I am posting a new build now. There are not multiple devices, but the request for the "changed to any" trigger has been implemented. The help file has been cleaned up quite a bit, with some screenshots added to help with configuration.

We are just about ready to declare this plugin "done," so if there are still features or bugs please let me know.
                          Jon Ort
                          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Thanks for the 'changed to any' as that will be a huge help. One other quick question, did the damper status API make it in? Or if not, does the event trigger by the Damper Relay change work? Sorry, I haven't had a change to try the event yet? I did notice the one time that I went to create an event, triggered by the Damper Relay, the next paramter (after selecting the trigger option of damper relay) was labeled Fan(Operating) and the options were on and off. Maybe it was just mislabeled? I'll try to test this and the new version tonight.

Comment

Assuming everything we need is in there, maybe we should get together and post a script that enumerates the devices out for those who want them to be separated. That way there is some community support around it.

Jon

Originally posted by jstaab View Post
                              Thanks for the 'changed to any' as that will be a huge help. One other quick question, did the damper status API make it in? Or if not, does the event trigger by the Damper Relay change work? Sorry, I haven't had a change to try the event yet? I did notice the one time that I went to create an event, triggered by the Damper Relay, the next paramter (after selecting the trigger option of damper relay) was labeled Fan(Operating) and the options were on and off. Maybe it was just mislabeled? I'll try to test this and the new version tonight.
                              Jon Ort
                              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I agree. I'll do some testing this weekend and see how the events work out and we might be able to write one script that could be called by any thermostat triggered event that would go out and set all the devices a user might need. If some event doesn't work, such as the damper change events, then we might have to resort to triggering a script every 30 seconds or so, and that will only work if RJ included the damper status API.

Originally posted by Oman View Post
                                Assuming everything we need is in there, maybe we should get together and post a script that enumerates the devices out for those who want them to be separated. That way there is some community support around it.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X