HS3 Redundancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Redundancy

I've approached this subject before, but have now hit it head on.

HS3 needs to have redundancy features. It should be possible to run HS3 from two different machines, one as primary, one as secondary, and have the secondary go down when the primary stops communicating with it.

I ran into this situation recently. I was running HS3 from an ASUS tablet, and it had a fan go out. While I was trying to decide what to do with the tablet, I moved HS3 to my main PC. A few weeks later, that PC went down with a UEFI issue. That left me without any home automation. I've since installed a new fan on the ASUS and it is back up and running, and the PC is recovered - the secondary disk had to be recovered, though, and this process took a week or so.

So, that got me thinking about what to do in the future. The "best" solution is a dual mode for HS3. Other things I've thought about:

-- Install HS3 to an external drive that could be swapped to a different computer if needed.
    -- Set up a VM on an external drive and run HS3 from that.

I can say that running HS3 from two different places works, though I didn't stay in that state long enough to see what would happen if an event was generated, etc. I know that devices can only be connected to one Z-Wave hub (may not be using the correct term), but I don't think that there is a technical restriction on how many controllers (HS3) can connect to that hub.

Any thoughts???

David

I find the content of the thread misdirected at Homeseer rather than address your deployment that was hardware related and lack of back up strategies in place to deal with disaster recovery management.

In saying that, I would not expect Homeseer to introduce any method to managing multiple deployments and failover to a secondary system. It is probably for a lot of people cost restrictive and covering the 0.001% scenario.

A simple an effective process is to do periodically back ups of Homeseer to a secondary location. Then if the system goes down, restore and you can be back online very quickly.

Comment

All understood....but fine until there are hardware issues. Backups don't help much in that case.

Yes, I'd like Homeseer to possibly address some of the issue, but I'm more interested in how anyone else has possibly addressed this issue.

David

Comment

Comment

The "good" part in all this is I have been able to copy the HS3 data back and forth, and it's just worked. I didn't have to rebuild anything.

Another part of this use case - this happened both times when I was away. An automatic switch over would have prevented a few issues that ensued.

I should also add to my use case...HS3 isn't the only piece of critical software I'm running. I'm also running BlueIris for my cameras. I use AlwaysUp to make sure the software is running and restarts on a reboot. This combination of things is what I'd run in a VM or from an external drive.

David

Comment

Comment

I had thought about that option. I need to do some more research on it. I've only used VMs to partition my home/work environments, or to run another OS. In the back of my mind, I thought VMs might lead to the solution. VMs are very easy to keep backed up, also.

David

Comment

Working...
              X