Modem to Modem communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem to Modem communication

Hi: Apparently some high speed providers now force you to manually re-log-in every so many hours. Not so good if you have a remote machine and want it to be on all of the time. Maybe we don't need high speed, maybe we can use a plain old telephone line on both ends.

Has anybody ever developed a system where one phone modem can call another (answering after a pre determined number of rings) and then allow the caller to access something like Home Seer on the remote machine? I just read the description of HS Phone, and I don't believe that it is intended for such use. Seems to me that I remember using something almost like this in the pre-Internet days. Any thoughts?

Thanks, John

'Dial-up networking server' is what it was called in Win95. 'Remote Access Server' (RAS) is what it was called in WinNT. I don't know what it's called now, but it's included with windows. It's a matter of figuring out how to install it.

I use to use it a lot. It was real easy. I could dial in to work, login, and my machine becomes a member of the network. I had the option of having the server hangup and call me back, either at a predefined number or a number specified at login. It was more secure than PPTP.

Comment

What "High Speed Provider" requires a login. My cable modem service doesn't require any type od login?

-Rupp
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Mine doesn't either. I saw the login comment in a document for a DSL modem.

Comment

I believe the login is stored in the cbos nvram to establish the connection initially and if you ever reboot the dsl modem. How does a cable modem do this?

On how to set up a modem to modem connection, You could set up a freesco router as a dial-in router and obtain access to your network that way..........JG
          3.0.0.548: HS3PRO - 3.0.5.10: AIAlert - 2.1.1.0: APIWeather - 2.0.64.0: BLBackup - 2.0.45.0: BLLAN - 2.0.37.0: BLRoombaWifi - 1.0.0.3: DevLog - 1.2.5.15: KeyPad - 3.0.2.25: NetCAM - 0.0.0.52: Pushover 3P - 3.0.0.5: SendVFD - 1.0.0.3: Tiles - 3.0.11.0: Z-Wave

Comment

The below document tells how to set up netmeeting for a modem to modem connection. This type setup also works for other tcp/ip applications such as web servers. The dialin server on win95/98 will only answer on the first ring, which may present a problem of it grabbing the line before people can answer if desired. The way to get a round this is to get a distinctive ring number from the phone co (~$3/mo) and have the modem answer the distinctive ring for the dialin server. One possible way to check on things at a remote location.

http://www.noeld.com/dlpapers.htm
            Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Working...
            X