Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon vs Z-Wave?

Hello everyone,

I have a small sized home automation network going, which I am continuing to build upon. I am looking to add a bunch of outlets, lights, lightswitches etc. I currently have 4-6 Insteon devices, which connect via a hub, then an insteon usb modem to my PC where I have my HS3 server software. I do notice a little lag with Insteon. Usually with the app trying to get status from devices when the app is launched. Or when I go to my lights page on HS3 app I designed

I have been considering adding a z-wave USB stick and some z-wave devices. But part of my hesitation is that I already have Insteon running and wasn't sure if it would be worth it to have both technologies in my system.

So my questions are:

1. Is one technology better than another?
    2. Is one technology faster in communicating back to HS3 server?

I am sure part of this is personal preference, so if you have experience with both technologies and can provide some first hand pros and cons of both technologies, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I have both in the same location. It is mostly Insteon that I started with 10 years ago. Usually, when I needed to add a new switch or dimmer, I went with Insteon. I find it to be really fast and reliable.

But recently I wanted to add a thermostat and a siren. When I started doing my research, I found lots more options with z-wave. I added an Aeotec z-stick gen 5 and have been pleased with how it is performing so far. I wouldn't say z-wave is any faster but you have such a broader selection of devices. In some cases, z-wave is also less expensive. Going forward, I'll always look 1st for z-wave plus devices.

Comment

I moved from X-10 to Insteon but have now started moving to z-wave. The lack of Insteon products for the UK market made my last decision.

Comment

Thank you.

I have noticed that z-wave seems to have more options as well. I may start adding z-wave devices and keep the Insteon products I have. As long as they play nicely together I have no reason to use one technology exclusively.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Another Option

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
          I have both in the same location. It is mostly Insteon that I started with 10 years ago. Usually, when I needed to add a new switch or dimmer, I went with Insteon. I find it to be really fast and reliable.

But recently I wanted to add a thermostat and a siren. When I started doing my research, I found lots more options with z-wave. I added an Aeotec z-stick gen 5 and have been pleased with how it is performing so far. I wouldn't say z-wave is any faster but you have such a broader selection of devices. In some cases, z-wave is also less expensive. Going forward, I'll always look 1st for z-wave plus devices.
          I was in a similar situation. I had an X-10 install that worked well, minus a little delay, and wanted to add a thermostat. I ended up installing a Honeywell Lyric T5. A beta plugin for homeseer was recently released and seems to work well. The advantage that I see is that the thermostat does not rely on another piece of equipment/controller. Homeseer handles go between device control very well. (if room temp reaches X, turn on fan). The other advantage is that you will have smartphone control independent of Homeseer. This is good in the event your Homeseer system goes down. Also, the thermostat has geo-fence built in. This feature alone has more than paid for the thermostat. My kids were forever setting the old thermostat to cool or heat and then would leave the house for the day. I have the geo-fence set so when they leave the thermostat sets back and when they get within one mile of home, it adjusts to the desired temp. Now add in Homeseer integration and you have an unbeatable system.

Comment

Working...
          X