www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > General Home Automation > Off Topic

Off Topic Post your jokes, funny stories, current events and antecdotes here.

Old February 9th, 2018, 05:16 PM
OverSeer

SpaceX Falcon Heavy Launch

Did anyone see this!? I just watched it earlier today. It's absolutely incredible. The way the boosters land simultaneously is mind boggling. The age of reusable space craft is here. Some times, people are awesome.

Old February 9th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Did anyone see this!? I just watched it earlier today. It's absolutely incredible. The way the boosters land simultaneously is mind boggling. The age of reusable space craft is here. Some times, people are awesome.

Yes it was truly amazing to watch - especially the synchro landings. I was just thinking this morning that the boosters must be fully aware of each other after they’ve detached and for the duration of the return flight/landing.

A colleague of mine’s husband was poached from GM in Oakville Ontario to work at SpaceX a few years ago. He’s now the chief test engineer for the high pressure nozzles on all the rockets. He was a pretty happy guy when I checked in with her on Tuesday afternoon.

So cool
Old February 9th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Seer Master

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the 2 outer boosters land like that. Amazing.
Old February 9th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Seer Deluxe

They test the engines about 15 miles from my house. And they plan to do "pogo" flights there later this year.
Should be pretty cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
Yes it was truly amazing to watch - especially the synchro landings. I was just thinking this morning that the boosters must be fully aware of each other after they’ve detached and for the duration of the return flight/landing.

A colleague of mine’s husband was poached from GM in Oakville Ontario to work at SpaceX a few years ago. He’s now the chief test engineer for the high pressure nozzles on all the rockets. He was a pretty happy guy when I checked in with her on Tuesday afternoon.

So cool
Old February 9th, 2018, 08:26 PM
OverSeer

I remember following the Apollo missions, then the Space Shuttle missions thereafter, never thought I'd see this. Way to go SpaceX!

An amazing feet in engineering!!!

Robert
HS3PRO 3.0.0.318 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dot, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.
Old February 10th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Seer Master

My favorite part was the Don't Panic! on the Tesla monitor. A truly geeky Douglas Adams reference.
Old February 10th, 2018, 01:26 PM
OverSeer

I was at Kistler Aerospace during development of their K-1 reusable launch vehicle back in the 1990’s. There were going after the market to launch LEO satellites for the global communications networks of Teledesic and Irridum. The communication industry took the path of cell towers branching from populated areas rather than global coverage. This dried up investment money so it never became viable, but the technology and concepts have many overlaps with SpaceX vehicle. The K-1 was two stage with three engines in the first and one second. Both stages returned to the launch site rather than in SpaceX concept where transportation is needed to get the stages back for the next launch. After Kistler folded I was approached by Bezos startup to join their team at the ground floor, but I declined. With the deep pockets Blue Origins looks to become a commercial reality.

P.s. I doubt if the two side boosters had any coordination. This introduces complexity with more things that could go wrong. The name of the game is to make it as simple as possible.
Old February 10th, 2018, 01:28 PM
OverSeer

Elon Musk said that they were timed to land just out of sync, which they did. He said it was so that there wouldn't be radar confusion. So they didn't have any knowledge of eachother.
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:32 PM
OverSeer

Amazing stuff!!!!

Automator

Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.398 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

HS3 Plugins - a bunch
Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee
Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo
Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2
Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick
Firewall - PFSense
CCTV - Zoneminder

Audio - Russound - AB8SS

Old February 13th, 2018, 10:46 PM
OverSeer

I watched the press conference with Elon Musk from right after the launch. He said that he was so excited about it that he was "tripping" and then he amended his tripping statement by saying that he was "tripping balls".
Old February 13th, 2018, 11:43 PM
OverSeer

So cool!