www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old February 25th, 2010, 03:02 AM
alevey

Confirmed problem(s) with 1.3

I was using 1.3 since the day you released it and having all sorts of issues.

I'd notice that sometime after starting HS 'looked' like everything was working (logged all incoming and outgoing) but the lights never responded. I suspect that the plugin was not sending the signal to the devices.

Then I tried tap-add my ApplianceLinc. It would see the address but could never program it... no matter where in the home I put it.

Then I noticed that HS hung on shutdown, at the Insteon line in the log, every time. I had to kill the process. I verified this 5 times.

Tonight I went back to 1.2.3.4 and all is well again, no problems - it programmed my ApplianceLinc and all is well.

There is definitely an issue or 2 with 1.3
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by alevey View Post
I was using 1.3 since the day you released it and having all sorts of issues.

I'd notice that sometime after starting HS 'looked' like everything was working (logged all incoming and outgoing) but the lights never responded. I suspect that the plugin was not sending the signal to the devices.

Then I tried tap-add my ApplianceLinc. It would see the address but could never program it... no matter where in the home I put it.

Then I noticed that HS hung on shutdown, at the Insteon line in the log, every time. I had to kill the process. I verified this 5 times.

Tonight I went back to 1.2.3.4 and all is well again, no problems - it programmed my ApplianceLinc and all is well.

There is definitely an issue or 2 with 1.3
Aaron,
I need a little more info. I'll check on the shutdown issue.

did you every try manually adding the applinc? please post the ini section for the appl linc.

which interface are using plc or plm?

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM
alevey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
did you every try manually adding the applinc? please post the ini section for the appl linc.

which interface are using plc or plm?
Yes. It makes no difference... adding was fine, event tap-add worked. BUT reading the link and programming for homeseer never worked, It never connects to the device, only keeps making attempts.

PLM

- once I moved back to 1.2.3.4, not a single issue.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Yes. It makes no difference... adding was fine, event tap-add worked. BUT reading the link and programming for homeseer never worked, It never connects to the device, only keeps making attempts.

PLM

- once I moved back to 1.2.3.4, not a single issue.
could you post the ini section for the device in question and

do you have any debug logs of the link reading session you could post?

i have the following appliancelinc and everything seems to work. is yours different?

DeviceType=0209
FirmwareVer=32
Protocol=2
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
alevey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
could you post the ini section for the device in question and

do you have any debug logs of the link reading session you could post?

i have the following appliancelinc and everything seems to work. is yours different?

DeviceType=0209
FirmwareVer=32
Protocol=2
no log but here's the config...

GroupLinkAddress 1=8
GroupLinkAddress 2=9
GroupLinkAddress 3=10
GroupLinkAddress 4=11
GroupLinkAddress 5=12
GroupLinkAddress 6=13
ChannelName6=
NoChannelSync=0
DeviceID=01.03.CC
DeviceName=Espresso Machine
DeviceLocation=Kitchen
PollingInterval=10
DeviceType=0209
FirmwareVer=23
DatabaseDelta=3
LinksDownloaded=1
Protocol=1
EEValues=
LastContact=2/26/2010 8:13:36 PM
TotalInteractions=128
FailedInteractions=0
NumLinks=3
Link 1=A2 FE 0C A7 33 FF 1F 01 1
Link 2=A2 03 09 9B 07 FF 1F 01 2
Link 3=A2 01 0C A7 33 FE 1F 00 3
RecentDatabaseDelta=3
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM
alevey

Mike,
Were you able to find the issue I was having?
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Were you able to find the issue I was having?
Aaron,
I wasn't but if you post your email addr and which build you use (plm or plc) to my visitor page, i can email you the latest ver. I'll send instructions with my email

Mark
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Seer Deluxe

Insteon MS not updating instantly

Hello there MnSandler !

We have 10 insteon motion sensor linked to devices and they work perfectly but our client would like to have conditionnal events such as time of day for dim levels for the motion triggers so we decided to update plugin to V 1.4.0.2 after reading they are now fully compatible with HS.

We seem to be able to communicate with the devices when we put them into linking mode but that's all we can do, they dont report any occupancy or other activity to HS on an instant basis. Is there anything we have to do after adding the device to homeseer ?

Note that we have added devices manually but HS does read device links succesfully, its just a matter of reporting it's live status.

Any idea ?
We are going back to the site tomorrow morning ( saturday ) so let me know if you think of anything !

Thank you for the neat improvments on the Insteon plugin !

http://domobec.com
http://boutique.domobec.com
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by loowee View Post
Hello there MnSandler !

We have 10 insteon motion sensor linked to devices and they work perfectly but our client would like to have conditionnal events such as time of day for dim levels for the motion triggers so we decided to update plugin to V 1.4.0.2 after reading they are now fully compatible with HS.

We seem to be able to communicate with the devices when we put them into linking mode but that's all we can do, they dont report any occupancy or other activity to HS on an instant basis. Is there anything we have to do after adding the device to homeseer ?

Note that we have added devices manually but HS does read device links succesfully, its just a matter of reporting it's live status.

Any idea ?
We are going back to the site tomorrow morning ( saturday ) so let me know if you think of anything !

Thank you for the neat improvments on the Insteon plugin !
so you used the plugin "Add New Insteon Device" function? this should have created three links like the following that will report status for each function to HS.

Link #2 Dusk/Dawn Sensor has local control reporting to HomeSeer
Link #3 Low Battery Warning has local control reporting to HomeSeer
Link #1 Occupancy Sensor has local control reporting to HomeSeer

if you don't see these links, then delete a motion sensor and readd it while its in linking mode

also, make sure you don't have Night Mode on; there is a jumper for this. check the manual on the smarthome site.

btw. i also dim lights with motion based on the time of the day. works great but there is about a 1 sec delay between motion and the light adjusting. I use doomotion to do this via script but i would expect the same delay with a hs event.

Thanks for the support
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
... but HS does read device links successfully ...
As for Mark's comment, I also see a delay 2420M reporting to HS, but note that I have only linked the 2420M to HS, and not to a specific device; I use HS events to actually affect devices.

Mark has commented on "Night Mode on"; I have found that if you drive everything from HS, all you need to do close jumper 5, on a Rev 2.0 device. I acknowledge that Mark is questionning whether I have a version 2 2420M. But basic testing will determine whether you have Version 1 (aka Rev 1.0 or 1.1) or Version 2 (aka Rev 2.0). I suggest you read the post http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=142642.

Last edited by claude; July 4th, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Seer Deluxe

Insteon motion

Hi guys,

Thx for the replies. Dtill could nto get it to work so I flushed the dimmer level idea and linked the switches directly to the Insteon Sensors...

For some reason, even after deleting them, I got the message that the device was added but that the link tables could not be read and that instant notifications will not be possible when I tried to re-add all of them.

This has also happened on a 2476D switch and a keypadlinc, any idea why this is happening ? We have plenty of access points installed so I doubt signal is the problem.

Regarding the delay, we are expecting a delay just like there is on any device that have to report to homeseer which triggers an action but that is not a big problem to tweak and go by.

I love the improvment on the Insteon plugin, it was time someone took the lead because whatever people say, Zwave is not 10% of the efficiency, cleanlyness or flexibility of Insteon's devices. It is very strange that the best automation software out there ( homeseer ) sticks with it, I guess it's all about the neutral wire not being there for 80% of the old houses. We see this changing here in Canada tough, it's about time electricity becomes regulated !

Thx again guys...
Old July 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thx for the replies. Dtill could nto get it to work so I flushed the dimmer level idea and linked the switches directly to the Insteon Sensors...

For some reason, even after deleting them, I got the message that the device was added but that the link tables could not be read and that instant notifications will not be possible when I tried to re-add all of them.

This has also happened on a 2476D switch and a keypadlinc, any idea why this is happening ? We have plenty of access points installed so I doubt signal is the problem.

Regarding the delay, we are expecting a delay just like there is on any device that have to report to homeseer which triggers an action but that is not a big problem to tweak and go by.

I love the improvment on the Insteon plugin, it was time someone took the lead because whatever people say, Zwave is not 10% of the efficiency, cleanlyness or flexibility of Insteon's devices. It is very strange that the best automation software out there ( homeseer ) sticks with it, I guess it's all about the neutral wire not being there for 80% of the old houses. We see this changing here in Canada tough, it's about time electricity becomes regulated !

Thx again guys...
Did you do all of this while the 2420M was still in linking mode?
Old July 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Seer Deluxe

Insteon motion

Of course, otherwise the MS would not even have responded.
As I mentionned, device is found but table link cannot be retreived as well as instant notification.

Thx...
Old July 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Seer Master

When all else fails...

HW reset of the 2420M? Given the price of this device and the relative complexity of its functionality, I suspect its internal logic not to account for all situations
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

insteon errors

Hi again guys !

Any idea why I get "device added but link table could not be downloaded" with multiple 2476D and keypadlincs ?

I tried deleting them and they do respond to commands sent manually but I would like to program these via HS since some of them are behind appliances and other hard to move furnitures.

Thank you !
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Hi again guys !

Any idea why I get "device added but link table could not be downloaded" with multiple 2476D and keypadlincs ?

I tried deleting them and they do respond to commands sent manually but I would like to program these via HS since some of them are behind appliances and other hard to move furnitures.

Thank you !
please post a detailed log snippet of the programming session
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Seer Deluxe

insteon errors

here you go, I deleted the device and re-added it...

7/26/2010 7:15:24 PM Insteon Invalid Insteon ID passed to GetLinkTableForDevice of '13.3A.F6'
7/26/2010 7:15:24 PM Insteon Exit CreateDevices
7/26/2010 7:15:24 PM Insteon ** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
7/26/2010 7:15:24 PM Insteon ** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
7/26/2010 7:15:24 PM Insteon [HCM] Registered house code '`' as a new code for device class 'DeviceBaseCode' because an existing HomeSeer device was found using it.
7/26/2010 7:15:21 PM Insteon [HCM] Registered house code '_' as a new code for device class 'DeviceBaseCode' because an existing HomeSeer device was found using it.
7/26/2010 7:15:13 PM Insteon [HCM] Registered house code '^' as a new code for device class 'DeviceBaseCode' because an existing HomeSeer device was found using it.
7/26/2010 7:15:13 PM Insteon [HCM] Registered house code '$' as a new code for device class 'DeviceBaseCode' because an existing HomeSeer device was found using it.
7/26/2010 7:14:59 PM Insteon [HCM] There are existing 'DeviceBaseCode' class HomeSeer devices currently using the previously allocated base house code of: '\'.
7/26/2010 7:14:59 PM Insteon Warning: An unknown Insteon device of type was added to the system.
7/26/2010 7:14:59 PM Insteon Warning: An unknown Insteon device of type was added to the system.

I also included the insteon log file in attachment... Trimmed it so it would fit in the forum's size range ... The device is 13.

UPDATE : Tried with the 1.4.2.13_PLM.zip version, no improvement but it seems to search for the links longer when adding device.

Also, firmware is 38 on this particular 2476d, I have other 2476D's firmware 22 doing the same thing...

Thx Mn !

Thx !
Attached Files
File Type: txt insteon.txt (140.9 KB, 7 views)
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Insteon Overlord

I think you need to delete and reset these problem devices and the devices that have warning in the attached insteon.txt file.

Then restart hs and make sure you don't get any errors during normal operations

Then readd the devices one by one and watch the log for errors

the reason i suggestion this approach is because there is clearly something wrong with your insteon.ini. You have a devicetype 0307 (IRLinc Transmitter) which the plugin doesn't support directly and another one without a devicetype.

are you using an external script to support the IRLinc Transmitter
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Seer Deluxe

insteon errors

Sadly, this is not an option ...
I am @ 800kms from the server and devices ...

Any manual way trough PC ?

Otherwise, Im only going back in 2 weeks and I would really like to get this done B4 then...

Thx !
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Sadly, this is not an option ...
I am @ 800kms from the server and devices ...

Any manual way trough PC ?

Otherwise, Im only going back in 2 weeks and I would really like to get this done B4 then...

Thx !
you could try deleting the existing links and then reprogram. either way you need to correct the warnings ini the log