New Sonos Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sonos Beta

Sonos has released (finally) the new app (beta) that integrates Sonos speakers with Alexa. It can be a real pain to setup due to linking your Sonos Account to your Amazon Account but once they are linked and you run a device discovery in the Alexa app to discover your speakers, it does work. See link below for help.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazo...set-up-6791327

Bob

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
    Sonos has released (finally) the new app (beta) that integrates Sonos speakers with Alexa. It can be a real pain to setup due to linking your Sonos Account to your Amazon Account but once they are linked and you run a device discovery in the Alexa app to discover your speakers, it does work. See link below for help.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazo...set-up-6791327

Bob
    Do you use Dirk's Sonos plug-in? If so does it still work with the beta controller software?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Do you use Dirk's Sonos plug-in? If so does it still work with the beta controller software?
      I do use the PI and I have not noticed any problems thus far. I will say that the Beta is limited as it will not allow you to playlist or a line-in.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
        I do use the PI and I have not noticed any problems thus far. I will say that the Beta is limited as it will not allow you to playlist or a line-in.

Bob
        Well, when i opened Sonos I was prompted to update. The plug-in does work well with V8.0. I have line-in as a choice under "Browse", which is where all of my music services went. The one and only Sonos playlist I have is under "My Sonos".

Comment

I have just been playing with this also. I really can't imagine too many people going through that number of steps to link things together. Much more tortuous for me than any other skill I have linked. Still playing with it, but the lack of normalisation for commands across music services doesn't make for easy operation. I am sure it will become easier as I persevere but I was hoping for something simpler. We'll see.
          cheeryfool

Comment

It's not complicated at all. I've been in the Sonos private beta for a while now.
            You just enable the skill and have Alexa re-discover devices.

Now I can say "Alexa, play the Weepies, on Spotify, in the Kitchen"; it just works.

I LOVE it!

Comment

Comment

I got stuck in that same loop between the iOS app update, the player update, app store and linking both ways. I then had to add the music services to Alexa for the compatible ones that I already had on Sonos. There was one extra step for me, where my wife had apparently created a Sonos account and I had one too. The players were attached to her account and she was unreachable, so I had to force discover the players again with my account before I could do any of the above. I found a list of commands and saw that they are somewhat different between music services which seemed odd. I'll take another look at that later
                cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                X