Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use HV to open and shut my garage door?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use HV to open and shut my garage door?

I currently have a magnetic switch running to the HV as a digital input. This tells me whether my garage door is open or shut. I'd like to also use HV to be able to open or shut the garage door. From what I can tell in the HV documentation this would be Port A. Assuming this is correct, and assuming I can use the HV to open/shut the garage door, where do I set this up in HS devices?

Hi, Mark.

Take a look at the HS device group called "HomeVision Relays". You should be able to control the HV relays using these items as standard on/off devices. I've not connected my garage doors directly to the HV, though I want to control them, as you do. I had read that the current that runs through the garage door switches can, over a period of time, fuse the delicate realys in the HV. It was recommended that you have the HV relay control a secondary relay that will actually be connected to the garage door opener. I haven't gotten around to implementing this yet. I'd love to hear what you decide to do. I want to get our doors to automatically close at 10PM, if we've forgotten to do it.

--David

Comment

A Universal Module can do this with an HS event.
      Attached Files
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by dkindred
        Hi, Mark.

Take a look at the HS device group called "HomeVision Relays". You should be able to control the HV relays using these items as standard on/off devices. I've not connected my garage doors directly to the HV, though I want to control them, as you do. I had read that the current that runs through the garage door switches can, over a period of time, fuse the delicate realys in the HV. It was recommended that you have the HV relay control a secondary relay that will actually be connected to the garage door opener. I haven't gotten around to implementing this yet. I'd love to hear what you decide to do. I want to get our doors to automatically close at 10PM, if we've forgotten to do it.

--David
        Hmm... I do not have a relays group. I have three groups that were created by the plugin when I fist installed: Digital inputs, Variables and Flags. I tried running the HV software to look at the configuration and port A is confirgured as an output so I know that is correct. I'll post a question in the HV group to see about experiecne with a door opener. Any idea why I would not have a relay group?

Comment

Rupp- I thought about using a Powerflash but get a little worried about that stray x-10 signal opening the door when I don't want it open. But if I can't get HV to do the trick I may give it a shot anyway.

Comment

Mark,

If you decide to go the Powerflash route, the use of two Powerflash modules in series, both with different house and unit codes, will greatly reduce the likelihood of stray X-10 signals opening the door. I have used this configuration for over a year and have yet to get a false opening.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite
              Mark,

If you decide to go the Powerflash route, the use of two Powerflash modules in series, both with different house and unit codes, will greatly reduce the likelihood of stray X-10 signals opening the door. I have used this configuration for over a year and have yet to get a false opening.
              Are both PowerFlashes set for momentary closure?

Comment

I heard from somebody in the HomeVision group (here) and he states he is doing garage doors, electric locks, sprinklers and other things via his HV. So I guess the question is "How do I get HS to see/use Port A?"

Comment

Mark,

There shouldn't be anything special in getting the relays to show up. The group should have been created at the time the plug-in was installed. It's been a while since I've been to the configuration screen, but you should be able to recreate all of the devices. I'd recommend trying this on a *copy* of your configuration, first.

--David

Comment

David- OK, I will give that a shot when I get home (out of town right now). But if memory serves me right, that will not work. Way back when I first went from ECS to HS I installed the HV plugin and deleted all the devices I was not going to use. Later, when I needed another device the only way I could find to get the device was to uninstall and reinstall the plugin. This time, rather than delete the unused devices I "hid" them from my view. So since I don't see a relay group I don't think it was created.

That said, I have something like 16 devices in the Digital Inputs group, even though the HV doesn't have that many inputs. Do I maybe need to use one of these?

Comment

Mark,

This is really straining my memory, since I wrote this plug-in so many years ago. As I recall there were Ports A, B and C. I think one of the ports was contact closure input, and second port could be configured for either digital input or output, but defaulted to input, so those two groups were combined together as the 16 digital inputs.

I'm wondering if you manually created the relay input devices if it would be recognized. I'll have to tell you when I get home what addresses are assigned to them, as it's not viewable from the web interface.

Interesting to learn about there being no problems running the garage door openers through the relays. I should give it a shot. I might actualyl get a positive (instead of neutral) WAF score for that one!

--David

Comment

I went into config for the plugin tonight (got tied up yesterday) and clicked in the button to create devices. I was met with a dialog saying that it appears I have already created the devices and to (if I wish) delete my devices and then I can recreate them. I opted not to do this (but can if you think it is helpful) as I am 99.99% sure that last time I installed the plugin I kept everything so that I would not run into this again.

Comment

Hey, Mark. About the deletion, that's why I was suggesting making a copy of your config before trying it.

I looked at my machine last night. It appears that my relays are on ]1 - ]8 and my digital inputs are from ]9 - ]24. Your house code could be different than "]", of course. If you're feeling techie, you could create a COPY of your config, recreate all the HV devices, and then cut and paste the XML defining the relays into another COPY of your working config to try to get them recognized. Note I keep saying COPY, because if anything doesn't work, I don't want you to be any worse off.

--David

Comment

OK, I'll probably wait until Firday afternoon unless I feel adventuresome tonight. In my digitla input device group my devices are _9 through _22 and _9 works with terminal 1 on port B. So at a minimum it looks like I have fewere devices than you.

Comment

Well I snuck outof work a little early and tried deleting and recreating devices. Darned if I don't have a relay group now! However my 14 year has alread dampened my enthusiasm. I just installed the iAutomate RFID stuff and I was explaing how we could have the garage door open automatically. He said "What happens is Mom is going to the grocery store but first she goes down the street to see Mrs. Barrett and then drives past the house on her way to the store? Wouldn't the garage door open whenit detected the van?"

I can just see the WAF now........after you leave the house you cannot come within 200 feet until you are ready to come home..........

BTW, started an interesting little thread on garage door opening with the HV in the Yahoo group.
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homevi...s/message/8492

Comment

Working...
                              X