Event help - Garage Door Left Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event help - Garage Door Left Open

I'm looking for a little help on accomplishing the following. Anybody with an idea?

My idea is to -
    1) Start when the jvCaddx plug-in indicates that the garage door "faults"
    2) Wait to see if it's left open for longer than "x" minutes
    3) Do some action, such as send an email

I have tried the conventional event route, but the "delay before" sending the email is not an option.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Larry

Why is "the "delay before" sending the email is not an option."?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

delay before

Rupp,

Won't that still send the message if the door closes prior to the delay "timeout" period?

What are the steps that you are suggesting?....I will try it out.

Thanks!

Comment

How about inserting the delay, then checking if the garage door is open then the email.
        I would never close a garage door without visual reference. The safeguards are OK but don't rely on them.
        Bill

Comment

agreed

Originally posted by Vantage2 View Post
          How about inserting the delay, then checking if the garage door is open then the email.
          I would never close a garage door without visual reference. The safeguards are OK but don't rely on them.
          Bill
          Right, I'm only talking about sending an email....

Comment

Not trying to script

Originally posted by Vantage2 View Post
            I would never close a garage door without visual reference.
            Bill

I'm looking to see if this can be done without scripting...does your recommendation pertain to that situation?

Thanks

Comment

I've created an event that you can see below in the image. The trick is to create a conditional event and it should work. Looking at it, it could probably be done just with the one "at least" condition but since I've already cut an pasted the picture I left it as is.

Also, the at least has the chance that the e-mail will continue to be sent until the garage door is closed so you should put a "don't re-trigger for so many seconds" option or change the condition to "exactly".

Having said all of that, I did get at least one bug report that this conditional triggers are sometimes not working as designed so please do test it before you rely on it.
              Attached Files
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

On last point...

When creating you "conditional event" you need to select "Device" instead of "jvCaddx Zone" in the drop down for conditions.
                James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

ok, now I see..

Great, I'll give that a try.

The "don't re-trigger for xx" will be nice, because I can keep getting the message, let's say every 5 minutes, until it is closed.

Thanks for a great plug-in, very nice work!!

Larry

Comment

I have a similar event setup with some differences that might interest you.

My event runs every 30 minutes after sunset and nags us to close the garage because it is dark out.

I know you didn't want to use scripting but I run a script that checks the house occupancy. If the house is occupied, the announcement is enough. However, if the house isn't occupied, it also sends an email to my cell phone. I think you should be able to setup the same kind of thing without scripting by using multiple events with different conditional inputs.

It just occured to me that a lucky burglar could sneak into the house within 30 minutes which would make it look occupied therefore delaying my email. I'll have to think about that one.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                    X