Alarm System Recommendations with HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarm System Recommendations with HomeSeer

The home I am in now that I purchased was a foreclosure. It's a great house and great shape, but it doesn't come with instructions... as in like how to reset the alarm, etc...

I want to buy a new alarm system for my home as this one does not have the ability to wire into my homeseer (at least I don't think).

The system now has a keypad and control box in the garage and some wireless sensors already as part of the system...

What would everyone recommend to work with the HomeSeer HS2 solution? I already have a kwikset door lock, motion sensors and lights... what would work with all this?

Thanks!
    Steve

What make/model is the existing alarm? You might be able to replace the panel and keypads and keep the wireless sensors.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

The DSC system is one of the best most affordable systems available and it has 2 plugins to interface the system to HomeSeer.
      http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-C235.aspx

You may also want to post a picture of your key pad and control box in case one of the users has it and may be able to tell you if it may be able to be interfaced to HomeSeer.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That was some fast response!

It looks like one of those freebie alarm systems that people get when they purchase a service contract...

Here are pix of the keypad and the control board.

I hope this helps.
        Thanks!

Comment

Not sure by looking what panel that is. The Protection One label though gives a clue. Did a quick Google search and came up with a link that talks about various panels used by that company.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...larm-code.html

It's likely that it's an Ademco Vista panel. I don't personally have experience with these, but there is an Ademco adapter in the HomeSeer store. Perhaps others might have more insight.
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I like the elk ez8. You can get an rs232 interface and write your own subroutines for it. But it has a big Learning curve.
            A computer's attention span is as long
            as it's powercord.

Comment

DSC is your best bet, works flawless with HS and BLDSC plugin!!!
              Hector
              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

+1 for DSC
                Nicolai L

Comment

Love the ELK, although it is a little more expensive than others mentioned here. Great integration with HomeSeer using an available plugin.
                  tenholde
                  tenholde

Comment

If you could take some close up pics of your control panel board that would help figure out what kind of system you have. Most common in homes at DSC and Ademco. Private companies and resellers relabel these panels and sell them as their own.
                    Not sure but by the pic you've shown it might be a Ademco panel.
                    DSC and Ademco panels are great. Great integration into hs without too much cost. DSC plugin in included in HSPRO, Ademco plugin will cost you about $30 ( I think).
                    Expansion of Ademco panels are not difficult. If yours is Ademco panel you may be able easily wire in a wireless expansion( gives you up to more zones to monitor wireless) for about $30-40. Again if that is if you need to expand your system. Lots of material out there plus parts and sensors are 1/3 of the cost on ebay. Its a rock solid panel. If you dont need to expand, and just want to stick to your current setup all you need is the Ademco plugin and AD2USB( adapter). The AD2USB adapter has a virtual keypad the developer made. So you can use the virtual keypad on any touch screen interface in any room. You can find the mnsandler plugin(about $30) and AD2USB($88) on the hs website. So if its a Ademco panel you can have full integration of your existing panel with HS for under $120
                    I read on here are some expansion issues with DSC not sure( just search). I was in the same spot as you trying to figure out which direction to go. A year later after a lot of research here and diyalarm forums, I decided on Ademco Vista 20p. Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by TomTom; July 8, 2012, 08:35 AM.
                    Tom
                    baby steps...starting again with HS3
                    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

FYI: just did a google search of "protection one alarm panel" and several listing with manuals, prog codes, etc came up with Ademco panel.
                      Tom

Comment

I was able to find the system number buried on the schematic on the door. It's a 320 P1 (From my searching, Ademco)

Now, I guess the fun begins here...

Comment

Originally posted by xtremesteve View Post
                          I was able to find the system number buried on the schematic on the door. It's a 320 P1 (From my searching, Ademco)

If it is an ademco panel, the ad2usb or ad2serial device sold by nutech works very well in plugging into the system and then you can use the Vista plugin with homeseer. I am novice with all this stuff and didn't know anything about alarm systems except that I knew I had one. I was able to install the ad2serial device in 15 minutes and am very impressed with Sandler's plugin. I can use all my wireless sensors in events so it just expanded my network greatly. Of course, you will likely need your installer code on your alarm panel. Google the default installer code for you panel and it may work.

Comment

Originally posted by xtremesteve View Post

xtremesteve the 320 P1 is a customized Vista 20p. Google "Ademco Vista 20p" + "manual" or "users guide" and you'll find all the info you need. Its a great panel with a lot of expansion possibility. There are several more documents for Vista 20p you can find doing the same.
                            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                              xtremesteve the 320 P1 is a customized Vista 20p. Google "Ademco Vista 20p" + "manual" or "users guide" and you'll find all the info you need. Its a great panel with a lot of expansion possibility. There are several more documents for Vista 20p you can find doing the same.
                              Off subject a little but how do you know what sensors I can buy off of ebay that are compatible with my system (I have an ademco 20p also)?

Comment

Working...
                              X