Sonos TTS on RPi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos TTS on RPi

I am having trouble getting TTS over Sonos to work on my HS3 Linux running on RPi. First question is this: does it work on a linux system or only windows?

Yes, it works on both.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by brientim; April 13, 2016, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the screen shots. I am still not able to get it to work. When I execute the event below, the music on the speaker assigned stops but then nothing else is heard. After a couple of minutes the music starts again. There are no errors in the log. If I look at the Sonos app on my phone, the track info for a TTS event is displayed.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by skate15e View Post
        Thanks for the screen shots. I am still not able to get it to work. When I execute the event below, the music on the speaker assigned stops but then nothing else is heard. After a couple of minutes the music starts again. There are no errors in the log. If I look at the Sonos app on my phone, the track info for a TTS event is displayed.
        The linkgroup name is case sensitive so either fix your event or your linkgroup name to make them 100% identical.

If that still doesn't work, remove the voice tags and see if that works.

If it still doesn't work, just try TTS without Sonos, does that work?

Dirk

Comment

I matched the Linkgroup name with no luck. I also just put a simple string in to be read with no luck. When I take the Speaker Client out, the TTS works from the RPi connected speakers. I am at a loss...

Comment

I matched the Linkgroup name with no luck. I also just put a simple string in to be read with no luck. When I take the Speaker Client out, the TTS works from the RPi connected speakers. I am at a loss...
            Could you put screen shots of:
            - all of the config page
            - Event

Make trace with debug on (only debug) and capture from start to announcement to say 20 seconds into it.

In the mean time, check whether a file was made in the <hs root>\html\Sonos\Announcements directory. If so, play the file, does it have your text or is it empty? If it has your text the problem is either with the linkgroup, antivirus (Sonos cannot access this file via HTML), the webserver built into HS3. If the file is empty, the problem is somewhere with the speaker client being used. Using tags, I've seen it silently not do anything what so ever (no errors but no .wav or .mp3 content).

Also very closely monitor the Sonos APP itself, is it flashing an error that it cannot access the file?

Dirk

Comment

Here is all the info. I checked, no file is created in the Announcements folder. I don't have antivirus installed on the RPi.

Attached Files

Comment

Here is all the info. I checked, no file is created in the Announcements folder. I don't have antivirus installed on the RPi.

if there is no .wav file to be found in the announcement directory than something goes wrong with the speak to file. Do some searching on this forum for Linux + speak to file

This showed up:
                http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...le#post1238976

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...le#post1207399

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...le#post1216880

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176058

Comment

That was it, thanks for the help! I was using pico2wave in the speech_to_file.sh. Once I switched it back to flite, everything worked. Now to get a better sounding voice for flite...

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the TTS works on the Zee S2? I've tried to follow all the threads related to this topic but still am unable to get TTS to properly work on the Zee S2 so am wondering if its not possible. I've read hundreds of threads on this topic and tried the various instructions to no avail.

I've been able to get TTS functioning when I use a speaker client running on a networked PC. However I want to speak announcements to my Sonos speakers spread throughout my home and its my understanding that this requires a local speaker client. I was able to get the Sonos plug-in properly working when I set it up temporarily on a laptop running the HS3 windows version so I am assuming I had all the configurations correct. When I try the announcements on the Zee S2 the Sonos speakers mute the music playing and then are quiet for 30 seconds (what I have configured in the plugin as the maximum announcement time) and then restart the music. So based on this behavior it seems HS3 is trying to play the announcement but since there is no speaker client it doesn't say anything.

I've installed flite on the Zee S2 and can get it to speak text from the command line coming out the hdmi port but not to the Sonos speakers. I've done a RMA to return the Zee S2 as I'm still within the 30 day return window but if I can get the TTS working locally (so I can send announcements to my sonos speakers) then I'd prefer to keep. The Zee S2 is amazing what it can do in such a small package and using so little power. Otherwise I may be stuck going with HS3 on a laptop running windows.

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by wdeertz View Post
                      Can anyone confirm if the TTS works on the Zee S2? I've tried to follow all the threads related to this topic but still am unable to get TTS to properly work on the Zee S2 so am wondering if its not possible. I've read hundreds of threads on this topic and tried the various instructions to no avail.

I've been able to get TTS functioning when I use a speaker client running on a networked PC. However I want to speak announcements to my Sonos speakers spread throughout my home and its my understanding that this requires a local speaker client. I was able to get the Sonos plug-in properly working when I set it up temporarily on a laptop running the HS3 windows version so I am assuming I had all the configurations correct. When I try the announcements on the Zee S2 the Sonos speakers mute the music playing and then are quiet for 30 seconds (what I have configured in the plugin as the maximum announcement time) and then restart the music. So based on this behavior it seems HS3 is trying to play the announcement but since there is no speaker client it doesn't say anything.

I've installed flite on the Zee S2 and can get it to speak text from the command line coming out the hdmi port but not to the Sonos speakers. I've done a RMA to return the Zee S2 as I'm still within the 30 day return window but if I can get the TTS working locally (so I can send announcements to my sonos speakers) then I'd prefer to keep. The Zee S2 is amazing what it can do in such a small package and using so little power. Otherwise I may be stuck going with HS3 on a laptop running windows.

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.
                      Could you post a screenshot of your player table, linkgroup table, config settings. Turn PI's debug flag on, do the announcement, capture log and post it.

Dirk

Comment

Dirk, attached are the screenshots and log. I tried to attach a video showing the TTS working from the command line but the file was too large to attach.

I take from your reply that TTS is possible on the Zee S2 so will hold off on my RMA. Thanks for your help.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wdeertz View Post
                          Dirk, attached are the screenshots and log. I tried to attach a video showing the TTS working from the command line but the file was too large to attach.

I take from your reply that TTS is possible on the Zee S2 so will hold off on my RMA. Thanks for your help.
                          Here's your problem

Dec-14 07:51:53 Sonos Error Error in DoCheckAnnouncementQueue called SpeakToFile unsuccessfully with Text Good Evening Master, it's Happy Hour time. Would you prefer your martini shaken or stirred? and File /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/Sonos/Announcements/Ann_TTSALL_0.wav and error ApplicationName='./speak_to_file.sh', CommandLine=''/usr/local/HomeSeer/html/Sonos/Announcements/Ann_TTSALL_0.wav' 'Good Evening Master, it's Happy Hour time. Would you prefer your martini shaken or stirred?'', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Success Service Version: NO_VERSION

I guess there is something wrong with the speak_to_file.sh file or how flite is called or installed. Maybe some permission rights issue?

Dirk

Comment

Dirk, I think you may be right. I installed flite using the user homeseer but it seems every time I reboot the Zee S2 it hasn't saved the changes that I previously made. I'm trying to login under the root userid but can't seem to find the default password.

Once I figure out how to login using the root userid I'll retry all the flite installation and see if that solves my problem.

Comment

Dirk, I think I figured it out. The plug-in is choking if it includes a "?" or '. See the screenshots of the text I had in my speaking events. Once I removed the ? and ' the announcement is being passed to the Sonos speakers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X