will not communicate with plugin only with demo software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will not communicate with plugin only with demo software

Ijust installed plugin for my Rain8pro, I added a address to it and it created device as expected. But if I try to activate a zone thru the plugin screen a getting this error:

5/12/2013 10:37:04 PM - RainRelay8 - Warning, timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a controller at address 13?
    5/12/2013 10:37:09 PM - RainRelay8 - Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 13

if I use the Rain8 demo software it works fine.... what am I doing wrong?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

I deleted the controller with devices to then re add them to see if it did any diference, but now when I re enter the device, it will not create the devices??
    Hector
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Bump.
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Hector,

I am not sure how different the Rain8netPro is versus what I have which is the Rain8nets.

I have two of Rain8nets with an interconnecting cable and one serial cable out to software.

Each one has a unique address and both utilize the same serial port.

Personally (and that is my setup) I disconnect the two from each other. I use the demo program to program the first address on the first Rain8net (#1). I disconnect this one and connect the second rain8net and program it with a unique address (#2).

I then connect the two together with the one serial port going to the Homeseer box. I then test the on and off of each valve and look at the serial comm with the software as it talkes to the 8+8 (16) valves. The software configure includes the two addresses (#1 & #2) and the serial comm port number to talk to the devices. If either the address is wrong or comm port is wrong then it will not talk to the Rain8nets.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Is there any baud rate setting I need to configure?
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I did not. I think the default is 4800 for the Rain8nets.

The only configuration in the software that I use is the serial port number and the id numbers of the Rain8net. I've not seen a serial port speed set up page.

Here is my Rain8net turning on then turning off a valve.

Rain8 Net(0) opened on 0

05/13/2013 16:24:28 | 39381741 | NET(0) OUT | 40, 02, 31
            05/13/2013 16:24:29 | 39382990 | NET IN | 40, 02, 31 Valve Command Acknowledge
            05/13/2013 16:24:31 | 39385502 | NET(0) OUT | 40, 02, F0
            05/13/2013 16:24:31 | 39385728 | NET IN | 40, 02, 01 Status Response
            05/13/2013 16:24:47 | 39401579 | NET(0) OUT | 40, 02, 41
            05/13/2013 16:24:47 | 39401730 | NET IN | 40, 02, 41 Valve Command Acknowledge
            Configure it and set up debug. Post your logs.

What com port are you using? 13?

What device number are you using?

If you utilize the same settings from the WGL demo it should be working.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              I did not. I think the default is 4800 for the Rain8nets.

The only configuration in the software that I use is the serial port number and the id numbers of the Rain8net. I've not seen a serial port speed set up page.

Here is my Rain8net turning on then turning off a valve.

Rain8 Net(0) opened on 0

Configure it and set up debug. Post your logs.

What com port are you using? 13?

What device number are you using?

If you utilize the same settings from the WGL demo it should be working.
              I removed the unit from the garage and placed it near HS with factory cable that came with it. I went in Rain8 config. program and set adress to 1 and com. port 10, when I hit apply I get "Com.Port 10 is already open" and if I go to the demo software I get the same.... wonder what that means????? Baud rate on com 10 is 9600, do you know of a reset for the rain8?
              Hector
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

The best way to intially check the com is using the cable that came with it and setting it next to your server to test. For my 75-100 foot serial run to the Rain8nets I only utilize three wires. It goes from the garage into the basement then across to the other side of the basement. It is cat5e cable. It goes to a Digi Edgeport 8. Never configured any setting on the serial port; just documented what port on the Edgeport was what comm port. After you test with the demo program you should then plug it into the garage wire and use the test demo program again. If it doesn't work then your cable is messed up. You can really break anything so just use a multimeter and validate the three wires; IE: ground send and receive.

Comm port open means just that.

Sometimes it doesn't close.

If HS is running it might have a lock on it. Restart your PC without HS and try again. The demo program does kind of reset everything once you talk to it. There is no reset button though. The baud rate is automatically set when you run the demo program.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  The best way to intially check the com is using the cable that came with it and setting it next to your server to test. For my 75-100 foot serial run to the Rain8nets I only utilize three wires. It goes from the garage into the basement then across to the other side of the basement. It is cat5e cable. It goes to a Digi Edgeport 8. Never configured any setting on the serial port; just documented what port on the Edgeport was what comm port. After you test with the demo program you should then plug it into the garage wire and use the test demo program again. If it doesn't work then your cable is messed up. You can really break anything so just use a multimeter and validate the three wires; IE: ground send and receive.

Comm port open means just that.

Sometimes it doesn't close.

If HS is running it might have a lock on it. Restart your PC without HS and try again. The demo program does kind of reset everything once you talk to it. There is no reset button though. The baud rate is automatically set when you run the demo program.
                  I did what you said, I used the cable that came with it and brought it next to server, it try to connect, but some times it says "maker sure it's connected and has power to it" and another time it said "connected to rainnet but address is diferent" retry the config. Program and again it's. Says "maker sure it's connected and has power to it". I hope it not broken.... I never got to use it just once manually. All manual buttons work but the problem is communication.
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

My Rain8net's will talk to the computer without a the transformer plugged in. Not sure that your Rain8netPro does the same; info should be in the manual. That said I would test it with the power supply connected.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Same problem for over a year

I just got the energy to search this problem again. I installed a RainRelay8 pro 2 on my Hometroller S3 running Homeseer Pro 2.5.0.79 last year. I use the HSPI RainRelay8 interface v 1.0.0.11. It would run for a few days and then suddenly stop. The log always reported the same message: "Warning, timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a controller at address 1?".

I tried everything including: 1. disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting (got the open port message...), 2. replacing all the connections, 3. replacing the RainRelay, even 4. replacing the Hometroller. The result was always the same.

I finally found that the manufacturer of RainRelay is right here in my hometown (!). I contacted him and he tested my RainRelay and all the connections. He explains that he has very little experience directly testing with Homeseer. At any rate, he said everything was ok and suggested I plug it straight into the server with his connections and test again. I did so and got the same result. He suggested that I not run the Rain8 thru Homeseer (very disappointing for ease of mobile home control efficiency). Over the past year, I have occasionally seen the similar rantings of some frustrated user with the same problem who sometimes ends up going with a different irrigation controller.

I have wondered if there is some inherent problem between my Homeseer and Rain8, or perhaps my Hometroller S3 or the HSPI RainRelay8 interface v 1.0.0.11. Meanwhile, my Rain8 sits unused until someone comes up with a solution.
                      Last edited by Sheriff; June 9, 2013, 04:13 PM.
                      HS4Pro on Windows 10
                      One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
                      2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
                      300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
                      6 CT-100 tstats
                      Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
                      18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
                        I just got the energy to search this problem again. I installed a RainRelay8 pro 2 on my Hometroller S3 running Homeseer Pro 2.5.0.79 last year. I use the HSPI RainRelay8 interface v 1.0.0.11. It would run for a few days and then suddenly stop. The log always reported the same message: "Warning, timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a controller at address 1?".

I tried everything including: 1. disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting (got the open port message...), 2. replacing all the connections, 3. replacing the RainRelay, even 4. replacing the Hometroller. The result was always the same.

I finally found that the manufacturer of RainRelay is right here in my hometown (!). I contacted him and he tested my RainRelay and all the connections. He explains that he has very little experience directly testing with Homeseer. At any rate, he said everything was ok and suggested I plug it straight into the server with his connections and test again. I did so and got the same result. He suggested that I not run the Rain8 thru Homeseer (very disappointing for ease of mobile home control efficiency). Over the past year, I have occasionally seen the similar rantings of some frustrated user with the same problem who sometimes ends up going with a different irrigation controller.

I have wondered if there is some inherent problem between my Homeseer and Rain8, or perhaps my Hometroller S3 or the HSPI RainRelay8 interface v 1.0.0.11. Meanwhile, my Rain8 sits unused until someone comes up with a solution.
                        Hi sheriff, I had this problem not so long ago. I thought it was the unit, so I spoke with The people in Texas , I explained the problem and they told me to send the unit to him for inspection. Came out to be the interface (which converts rj11 to serial) was bad.I purchased the interface from them and a RJ11 cable for means of testing the unit next to HS. One thing you should know, you should not test the unit with the rain8 config While HS is running, they don't get along very well.

I would shut down HS, run Rain8net.config and enter com Port and address, then run Rain8net.demo, and make sure it works properly. Try taking the unit next to HS with a know good cable. Next, when you got it working with The Demo program, shut down shut rain8 program and start HS and try it. Need to program HS plug with address and com. Let me know what happen
                        Hector
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

thanks

Thanks, but I've already replaced all those components as well.
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
                          2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
                          300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
                          6 CT-100 tstats
                          Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
                          18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

Working...
                          X