This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little more understanding

Trying to help some friends set up simple home automation and more complex whole-house audio. I think the Soundbridge along with HS and your plug-in may work. I still am confused, after looking at both the Soundbridge and the plug-in documentation.

1. What is the musics server of choice when using HS?

2. With the current version, can I accomplish with the plug-in all the functions as though I were in front of the Soundbridge, remote in hand?

3. Is the building of playlist, adding music (i.e. library management) accomplished through the Soundbridge and/or the Web interface?

The house is very large, with two separate home theater setups and speakers in other areas (at least 4 other "zones") home-run to a utility closet. One goal is to have the same music playing throughout the house (party mode).

4. It appears that your plug-in allows either a single Soundbridge to be address or all units to recieve the same command - correct?

A long term goal is for my friends to say "Play some jazz on the patio" and have it happen. I also want to add IR control through HS and start with some simple lighting control. All good reasons to incorporate HS.

5. Could you talk about - or perhaps others will - how they are using the Soundbridge in a whole-house audio setup?

Thanks,
    Barry

Hi Barry,

I'll try to answer your questions:

1. What is the musics server of choice when using HS?

You can use any of the music server supported by the SoundBridge. The plug-in doesn't care which you use. See the SoundBridge website for details of which servers are supported - iTunes, Windows Media Player 11, SlimServer, etc, etc. I use Windows Media Player 11 as my server and that works fine.

2. With the current version, can I accomplish with the plug-in all the functions as though I were in front of the Soundbridge, remote in hand?

Almost. I still need to do more on this such as adding commands for selecting a media server, playing a genre by name, etc. At the moment you can play any preset (internet radio station or pre-configured playlist), play a song by name (with parital matching), and play, pause, stop, etc. playback once it is started, etc. See the user guide for full details of what is possible now and what will be availabe in the future releases.

3. Is the building of playlist, adding music (i.e. library management) accomplished through the Soundbridge and/or the Web interface?

This is all done on the SoundBridge and on the music server.

4. The house is very large, with two separate home theater setups and speakers in other areas (at least 4 other "zones") home-run to a utility closet. One goal is to have the same music playing throughout the house (party mode).

This would be possible as the plug-in can send a command to all SoundBridges. However it would be difficult to ensure they were all playing exactly in sync since they might have slightly different network connection times, etc. I have not tried this to see if it would be workable. Maybe someone else uses their SoudnBridges in this way. It may be worth asking on the Roku Labs forum.

5. It appears that your plug-in allows either a single Soundbridge to be address or all units to recieve the same command - correct?

That's correct.

6. A long term goal is for my friends to say "Play some jazz on the patio" and have it happen. I also want to add IR control through HS and start with some simple lighting control. All good reasons to incorporate HS.

This should be possible I think. I haven't tried the speech recognition features of HS much myself.

7. Could you talk about - or perhaps others will - how they are using the Soundbridge in a whole-house audio setup?

I have my music on a server in the living room and use the SoundBridge to listen to this music in the bedroom. The RokuSeer plug-in allows me to control lights, etc. from the bedroom using the SoundBridge and to see caller ID information for incoming calls. It also allows me to have messages popup on the SoundBridge when certain HS events are triggered.

I hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more or requests for additional fetaures, etc.

Regards,
    George

Comment

Working...
    X