Two Questions - Alarm Status and Type 23 Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Questions - Alarm Status and Type 23 Devices

I've been experimenting with the Ademco Vista plugin and have been quite happy with it (I'm still in the trial period, but I expect to purchase it shortly). I do have a couple of questions about using it. I'm using HS3 on Windows 10.

1. I would like to have an event that gets triggered when someone sets the alarm and leaves the house. I have a motion detector in my garage so I was thinking that I would look for a motion event while the alarm panel was arming. However, there isn't a state for that. I though maybe I could use the 'last panel message' set to the value 'ARMED ***STAY** You may exit now', but the editor wants me to enter numeric values. Is there a way for a HS3 event to configure an event to know that the alarm panel is in the process of arming?

2. Our house has a motion sensor that we never use because we're afraid of cats setting off the alarm. As a result, we always arm the house 'STAY' to deactivate the motion sensors. I was reading that you can configure an alarm sensor to be a type 23 sensor, which doesn't send an alarm when triggered. However, when I tried configuring the sensor to type 23, there didn't seem to be any recognition of any motion activity, even though I was clearly activating the sensor.

I only know enough about my alarm system (Ademco Vista 50P) to be dangerous so I may be misunderstanding how type 23 devices are supposed to work, but is there a way for the plugin to see events from a type 23 zone device? I'd like to be able to get events from this motion sensor whether the alarm is activated or not. Right now I only get events when the alarm is disarmed.

Thanks!

Jim

I just discovered the answer to my first question by digging a little deeper in the documentation. I hadn't seen the 'triggers' information before. I see that I can use an alarm 'trigger' instead of looking at a device state and one of the triggers is the last message. I was able to paste in my desired message and get the event to function. However, it seems that I can only use triggers as the primary condition of an event and not a secondary condition. For example, I want my primary condition to be motion in the garage, and then I want to look to see if my alarm panel is in the state of being armed. It doesn't look like I can do this. Why aren't the alarm panel triggers available in the *AND* clause of an HS3 event?

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

Jim,
      Welcome to the forum.

1. try the vista alarm message trigger instead of the standard hs trigger, to trigger against the panel message you want.

2. Its been my experience with the vista 10 and vista 20p, that the panel will not report RF motion sensor status while the panel is armed. However the ad2usb has a feature that will capture the raw RF message and report this to the plugin. So you can create an RF Zone within the plugin that will track the status of the motion sensor regardless of the panel state. You will need the serial number and loop (probably 1) when creating this device. If this is a wired motion sensor, all bets are off.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by jhowe View Post
        I just discovered the answer to my first question by digging a little deeper in the documentation. I hadn't seen the 'triggers' information before. I see that I can use an alarm 'trigger' instead of looking at a device state and one of the triggers is the last message. I was able to paste in my desired message and get the event to function. However, it seems that I can only use triggers as the primary condition of an event and not a secondary condition. For example, I want my primary condition to be motion in the garage, and then I want to look to see if my alarm panel is in the state of being armed. It doesn't look like I can do this. Why aren't the alarm panel triggers available in the *AND* clause of an HS3 event?

Thanks!

Jim
        How about putting the alarm trigger first and putting the garage motion condition second. This might be more efficient on homeseer.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          Jim,
          Welcome to the forum.
          2. Its been my experience with the vista 10 and vista 20p, that the panel will not report RF motion sensor status while the panel is armed. However the ad2usb has a feature that will capture the raw RF message and report this to the plugin. So you can create an RF Zone within the plugin that will track the status of the motion sensor regardless of the panel state. You will need the serial number and loop (probably 1) when creating this device. If this is a wired motion sensor, all bets are off.
          Unfortunately this is a hardwired motion sensor. I guess I'll just have to live with it only being usable when the alarm isn't armed.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
            How about putting the alarm trigger first and putting the garage motion condition second. This might be more efficient on homeseer.
            I might try that approach. The issue is that I might arm the panel and it might take X amount of time (less than 30 seconds) before the motion sensor gets triggered so I would have to fiddle with delays. My initial plan was to wait until I saw motion on the garage motion sensor and then look to see what the panel was saying to determine if someone had left the house. Is there some particular reason why the alarm panel triggers aren't available in the AND clause? I notice that my weatherXML triggers are available both as a main event item, as well as the AND, OR and GROUP conditions.

Thanks for the help!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jhowe View Post
              I might try that approach. The issue is that I might arm the panel and it might take X amount of time (less than 30 seconds) before the motion sensor gets triggered so I would have to fiddle with delays. My initial plan was to wait until I saw motion on the garage motion sensor and then look to see what the panel was saying to determine if someone had left the house. Is there some particular reason why the alarm panel triggers aren't available in the AND clause? I notice that my weatherXML triggers are available both as a main event item, as well as the AND, OR and GROUP conditions.

Thanks for the help!

Jim
              I guess I didn't configure the plugin to allow the triggers to also be used as conditions.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
              X