Best Freezer Temp Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you recommend for a freezer temperature sensor? I am looking for something that has been tried and true!

Thanks!

This sensor is received by the RFXtrx433E and RFXrec433E
    with the latest Ext2 firmware flashed.
    http://www.ambientweather.com/amf007tp.html

Comment

Is the expectation with that, that I would just put the probe part in? I'd worry about the wire affecting the seal on the door.

Comment

Batteries don't like the very low temperature in the freezer and if the freezer has a metal cover it will block the RF. Best is to put the probe in the freezer.
        Use a small piece of 1mm thick foam on each side of the cable and stick this with tape.

Comment

I use a current sensor to monitor if the refrigerator is running. I have events setup to tell me if it has not run for several hours, or if it is running continuously (door open). It also tells me how often the door is opened.

This approach is much easier to implement.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I don't agree to this: This approach is much easier to implement.

The RFXCOM plug-in has default the possibility to configure warning and alarm messages on high/low temperature of a sensor and also a standard option to send warning and alarm messages with Notify My Android.
            Or create an event the Input Devices Message panel to send an email message. (see chapter 11 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide.pdf

Comment

There is another possibility which I use in the UK. Fibaro have a Zwave universal sensor, and I bought a waterproof temperature sensor for it (Waterproof Digital Thermal Probe or Sensor DS18B20), looks similar to the one suggested here. I have the universal sensor on a mains power supply, and the temperature sensor is going through the seal of my freezer. Works fine. It is a little pricier than the RFXcom solution though. But its another option.

Comment

i have something similar that worked for years with my hot tub. for some reason i can't get it to report temps consistently any longer. See thread here if you have any ideas:
                https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=187959

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                  i have something similar that worked for years with my hot tub. for some reason i can't get it to report temps consistently any longer. See thread here if you have any ideas:
                  https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=187959
                  I have similar issues with power reporting devices. Some report and have done for months or even longer. Others just get stuck after a while. You can see it on the date of the child device when they last updated. It takes a lot of fiddling with rescanning, re-including and worst case excluding and re-including to get them working again. I never figured out why. Its not down to the manufacturer, I have devices from multiple devices from multiple manufacturers, and its across the board. Its not bad zwave communication either, I have checked with the ztools and they all have good max 1 hop routing.
                  So sorry, I wished I had an answer as that could possibly help me too, as it sounds very similar to the issue I am having. Thinking back, I had exactly the same issue as you have on a zwave temperature sensor, but that is now reporting fine for a few months now. But it took quite a few exclusions and re-including cycles...

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
                    I don't agree to this: This approach is much easier to implement.

The RFXCOM plug-in has default the possibility to configure warning and alarm messages on high/low temperature of a sensor and also a standard option to send warning and alarm messages with Notify My Android.

Or create an event the Input Devices Message panel to send an email message. (see chapter 11 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide.pdf

I was referring to the physical issues related to getting a wired temperature sensor into the refrigerator. The WAF of a wire sticking out of the refrigerator door is totally unacceptable in my house[emoji3].

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                      I was referring to the physical issues related to getting a wired temperature sensor into the refrigerator. The WAF of a wire sticking out of the refrigerator door is totally unacceptable in my house[emoji3].

Steve Q

I know EXACTLY what you mean.... got one just like that...

Comment

Steve Q

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                        I know EXACTLY what you mean.... got one just like that...
                        I spent a bit of time looking at our upright fridge/freezer, pulling it away from the wall and trying to find some way to run a 1-wire temp inside. I couldnt find a way in without serious work.

I'm in the same boat with 'no wires' showing. I ended up putting a Z-Wave motion sensor with temperature sensor and it seems to work ok. I'd much rather have 1-wire though...
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                          I ended up putting a Z-Wave motion sensor with temperature sensor and it seems to work ok. I'd much rather have 1-wire though...

Is the z-wave multi sensor inside the fridge? I never thought of that! How well does it work?

Steve Q

Comment

Is the z-wave multi sensor inside the fridge? I never thought of that! How well does it work?

Steve Q

It works ok. I do get alerts when the door has been left open, which means a higher temperature. It uses the CR123 batteries. When they get low, you get some inaccurate readings, but that's an indication they need to be replaced.
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              It works ok. I do get alerts when the door has been left open, which means a higher temperature. It uses the CR123 batteries. When they get low, you get some inaccurate readings, but that's an indication they need to be replaced.

Good to know! I am thinking about what I will do in the future. It appears that 1-wire is becoming obsolete. Not much support for it on windows 10 and HS3. Also the TEMP08 seems to be fading away. Perhaps there will be an IOT device specifically designed for refrigerators/freezers. I guess receiving a warning message on my phone from an IOT device would be an acceptable alternative to HS3?

Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                              X