Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I dim/brighten with press & hold / release status on HomeSeer switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I dim/brighten with press & hold / release status on HomeSeer switches?

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible with this plug-in and Hue bulbs to mimic dim/brighten behavior of a traditional HS-WD100+ and standard bulb combo? I'd be using the HS-WS100+ switch and its "Press & Held" and "Released" statuses.

For example; when the bottom paddle is held continually drop the brightness of the hue bulb by some X% every Y seconds until released. It feels like it may be some kind of DO WHILE loop, but thought I'd ask if you had any thoughts. I have some Hue bulbs on the way to play with and this is more than likely the plug-in I'd choose if I decided to keep them and integrate them.

Thank you.

Any switch that can be caught by an HS3 event can control the Hue devices. Also the WS100 can trigger events that control the plugin's Hue devices.

I am playing here with some different switches, X10 as well as Zigbee, what I am doing for that, is when a status of the switch becomes "dim holding" (don't know status naming for the WS100) I enable a recurring event that triggers every 2 seconds to perform dimming. Once the button is released, the status of the switch changes, and that is where I trigger an event to disable the recurring event.
    In my case I am using a Ikea remote for it, but you should be able to use any, Zigbee, ZWave, X10 or others.

Thanks,
    Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
      Any switch that can be caught by an HS3 event can control the Hue devices. Also the WS100 can trigger events that control the plugin's Hue devices.

I am playing here with some different switches, X10 as well as Zigbee, what I am doing for that, is when a status of the switch becomes "dim holding" (don't know status naming for the WS100) I enable a recurring event that triggers every 2 seconds to perform dimming. Once the button is released, the status of the switch changes, and that is where I trigger an event to disable the recurring event.
      In my case I am using a Ikea remote for it, but you should be able to use any, Zigbee, ZWave, X10 or others.

Thanks,
      Wim

Thanks, Wim, sounds doable then. The WS100 would be controlling the bulb as a local load, unless I bypass it and hard-wire the fixture then rely on the plug-in, so the switch relay will be the ultimate on/off and then the hold/release functions would be more for dim/bright functions.

Comment

The hue bulbs do not really need a physical switch, in off status they use 0.4 watts here, so I have physical switches only for disasters like HS3 being out here, which nowadays hardly happens. So I am mainly using the switches for triggering events, not on the power line.
        If needed, you should be able to trust on the plugin and keep a physical switch as hidden feature

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

The hue bulbs do not really need a physical switch, in off status they use 0.4 watts here, so I have physical switches only for disasters like HS3 being out here, which nowadays hardly happens.
          Yes, understood, this is more about considering options which maximize the wife acceptance factor to allow such enhancements to continue. There's also the (very slight) downside of always-powered bulbs turning back on after a power outage which is thankfully a very rare event.

So I am mainly using the switches for triggering events, not on the power line. If needed, you should be able to trust on the plugin and keep a physical switch as hidden feature
          I may end up there anyways, but looking at this as a possible stepping stone.

Comment

when a status of the switch becomes "dim holding" (don't know status naming for the WS100) I enable a recurring event that triggers every 2 seconds to perform dimming. Once the button is released, the status of the switch changes, and that is where I trigger an event to disable the recurring event.
            I considered implementing this with my WS100 dimmers, but quickly realized the LEDs on the paddle that indicate dim level will not be in sync with the actual brightness of the bulbs.

Instead, I've settled for triggering on a "Key Released" status after a previous status of "Key Held Down". Then apply the WS100 level to the Hue bulbs.

You don't get a "live update" dimming action with this method, but I find it to be acceptable for the seldom times I need to adjust to something different than my automated default levels.

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post
              I considered implementing this with my WS100 dimmers, but quickly realized the LEDs on the paddle that indicate dim level will not be in sync with the actual brightness of the bulbs.

Instead, I've settled for triggering on a "Key Released" status after a previous status of "Key Held Down". Then apply the WS100 level to the Hue bulbs.

You don't get a "live update" dimming action with this method, but I find it to be acceptable for the seldom times I need to adjust to something different than my automated default levels.
              That's a neat way of doing it for the WD100 units! Maybe I'll order a couple spares to play with.

Comment

I struggled with this for quite a few weeks for a high-end custom install job using brass momentary push button switches. The client wanted to control line-voltage dimmable lights, 0 - 10V lights, and Hue lights with push-on, push-off and push/hold to brighten / dim (by themselves and in groups depending on the button). It was a nightmare.

I came up with two methods for push-and-hold dimming for Hue bulbs:

1. (This is the one I'm using simply based on simplicity) Get a device that uses a central scene class with "button held" and "button released". Trigger a script file to run while the button is held (PM me if you want pics / scripts]. This works very well - except you need to have direct communication between the end-device and the Z-Wave controller (or Z-Net module).

2. (Hang on - this one will get an eye roll)... Take a standard line-level dimmer, (like the Fibaro Dimmer 2) and wire it to a Lutron Grafix Eye control panel. This takes the line-voltage dimming level and converts it to a 0-10V output signal (along with a switching relay that engages when the voltage drops below the minimum set-point indicating the device should turn off).

Now, feed that 0-10V output into the input of a PLC (programmable logic controller). Program the PLC to send various TCP strings to the Hue bridge at various 0-10V inputs. So, at 5V input the PLC transmits "set lights to brightness = 128" or whatever you want.

It's complicated but to the system (and user) it's just another dimmable light. It's beautiful. It also costs about $1000 per light group. But hey...it's just money? Right?

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                X