spurious low temperature inhibit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spurious low temperature inhibit

mcsS is going into a low temperature inhibit but the temperature device /26 designated in the weather page of mcsS is not below 50 and hasn't been for months (this is Tucson). I am graphing the device (an oregon sensor) in rfxCharts and it has been above 75 for weeks so I believe the temp device is working well.

I realize I can uncheck the low temp inhibit in the areas page (which is checked with 50F being the threshold) but I am more interested in knowing if mcsS is working correctly with my system.

mcsSprinklers gets the data from the Virtual Device DeviceString. I'm guessing that the numeric value for the temperature is only being stored in the DeviceValue. I believe that if the DeviceString is empty then mcsSprinklers will get the data from the Device Value. You can confirm the contents of the DeviceString with the oneline script
    &hs.Writelog "StingTest",hs.DeviceString("XX")
    where XX is the device code where the temperature is stored.

Comment

Thanks, I checked the device string and it is good, but now the low temperature inhibit has gone away. Don't know why.

Comment

Now I am getting spurious time inhibitions on all areas. Don't know why, as I haven't specified any time restrictions. This has happened several days now, put in place at a minute past midnight.

Area 1 Time ,11 Inhibit Area 1 Specific Today 12:01:00 AM
        Area 2 Time ,12 Inhibit Area 2 Specific Today 12:01:00 AM
        Area 3 Time ,13 Inhibit Area 3 Specific Today 12:01:00 AM
        Area 4 Time ,14 Inhibit Area 4 Specific Today 12:01:00 AM

Comment

Enable the general debug sometime before midnight and post the file from \Data\mcsSprinklers that contains the debug output and post you \Config\mcsSprinklers.ini

Comment

Here is the log from 9 minutes before midnight to about 8 minutes after midnight. I have also attached the ini file.

It doesn't do these time inhibits every single night, but often it does as it did last night for all 4 areas. Also just to remind you there have been spurious low temp inhibits that were never resolved.

Thanks
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ricky; August 24, 2010, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Your temperature sensor is setup to read from HS device so there is no debug in the log for that now. The update occurs every minute and the General Status Page device 69 shows the most recent temperature read. The inhibit status is updated every minute as well so if you are getting a persistent inhibit then you should also see it in device 69.

When you observe a temperature inhibit then look at device 69. If you need me to add more debug for this then I will. Can your charting software chart mcsTemperature devices as well such as device 69 so you have a comparison. The two devices should be the same.

Comment

Okay about the temperature, thanks. The main problem with temperature appears to be when there is a "communication failure" with the rfxcom HS device and that seems to confuse mcsS as the HS device string reads "communication failure." Could this be causing the problem? Does this make sense? I will look at device 69 in mcss next time there is a com failure.

But what about the time inhibit, what could be causing that? As far as I know I have not instituted any time inhibits. But time inhibits are being instituted just after midnight. That is why I sent you the general debug file around midnight.
                Last edited by Ricky; August 27, 2010, 07:58 AM.

Comment

The RFXCOM error message in the DeviceStirng resolves to a numeric 0 so that is why you have temperature readings of 0. If yoube are not able to influence the behavior of the RFXCOM plugin then your alternative that still uses this device is to run a periodic script that copies the RFXCOM device to another virtual device, but never copies non-numeric values so the last good value will always be in the new virtual device. This device would be used in the mcsSprinklers setup.

When you setup a specific time for a zone to run, then the zone is inhibited until that time is reached. At midnight the days starts so any zones that have a specific start time will show an inhibit condition.

Comment

Ok, the communications failure explains the temp inhibit. Thanks.

About the time inhibit. I understand your points however the behavior I have been seeing with my mcsS installation is that when the time is reached the zone doesn't open, rather the time inhibit is moved forward. Again and again and the valve never opens. Am I being clear? Thanks

Comment

Zip up the log for a time that you see see this behavior. The prior one you posted does not show the debug for any of your scheduled start times. Post the entire file and identify when you have undesired behavior.

Comment

Working...
                      X