X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
    Ok, i figured out what's happening.

the msg you are expected to get processed is a ACK msg. However since the plugin didn't send the original msg, its not expecting an ACK, so it just ignores it.

i guess i can add an ini setting to get the plugin to process misc ACK msgs, but i'm afraid of the side effects if i make this change for everyone.
    Always a great feeling to know the 'why?'.

My first thought would be to suggest you don't go out of your way to change this if you anticipate potential issues. We all like what the plugin has become, including stability.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I understand why a local flip of a switch that sends the same 0x50 gets processed differently by the plugin. Keep in mind my observations are based on what your plugin writes to the log and I may be missing other parts of the logic picture. Still, curiosity is nibbling at me.

Thoughts?

Comment

claude,

basically its not the same msg. when you press a switch manually, it sends a broadcast msg (so other linked devices can react). If the plugin sends a cmd, the switch responds with an ACK (a different msg).

i'll put in an ini setting and let you try it out and see what the side effects are.

i think what will happen is the plugin will double process ACKs.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

claude,

basically its not the same msg. when you press a switch manually, it sends a broadcast msg (so other linked devices can react). If the plugin sends a cmd, the switch responds with an ACK (a different msg).

i'll put in an ini setting and let you try it out and see what the side effects are.

i think what will happen is the plugin will double process ACKs.
        If you're willing to write it, I'm all Go for trying it

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
          If you're willing to write it, I'm all Go for trying it
          Ok, give this a try

add the following to the [config] section of the insteon.ini to active this feature:

ProcessACKs=True

Everything else is the same as 1.8.2.3

based on my quick test of your scenario, it works. Triggers should fire as well for ACK msgs. As i suspected, control from hs will cause the ACK msg to be processed twice; the plugin just sets the status/value twice; this may cause a problem with triggers based on status or value changes.

please report back
          Attached Files
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

A quick run at it, first impressions, when sending commands directly at he hub (individual or group commands):
            - In some cases, status on HS console does not always get updated after command sent to the hub
            - In some cases, status on HS console seems to get updated with some significant delay (3-10 secs): need to do refresh several times
            - group commands seem to be missed by the plugin all together

I can visually see the hub completing the action, whether individual or group command. The issue seems to be the plugin not receiving, or picking up, the buffer

I'll do some more thorough testing after some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
              A quick run at it, first impressions, when sending commands directly at he hub (individual or group commands):
              - In some cases, status on HS console does not always get updated after command sent to the hub
              - In some cases, status on HS console seems to get updated with some significant delay (3-10 secs): need to do refresh several times
              - group commands seem to be missed by the plugin all together

I can visually see the hub completing the action, whether individual or group command. The issue seems to be the plugin not receiving, or picking up, the buffer

I'll do some more thorough testing after some sleep.
              please post log snippets if you continue to have problems.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

About the Hub

Hopefully, this isn't jumping the track too much, but what do you guys think about the hub at this point? Sounds like some of you have been working with it, but I'm a little leery after seeing some initial reviews talking about it not being ready for prime time.

I'm either going to have to get a 2413u or the hub. Any recommendations?

Comment

If you use the hub strictly as a PLM, I think you will be fine.

The other factors are

"Cloud" capability and smart phone apps. This will improve over time but needs some work. By summer / fall time I think it will be ready to use. Homeseer users need to re-add the devices they want to control to the smartphone app

Physical Network capability. This is a mixed blessing. I think the best place for the plm is at the center of the power system at the panel. That said, either you have located your server there, or you have to run a cat 5 line there... 1) a cat 5 line for either for ethernet and I'm guessing there is not an ethernet port there at the panel...Or 2) for extending serial from your sever to there... wiring/network location is probably a nit for many users. The reality is that the plm via serial is a tad faster on receive.. if you are going to use keypad lincs to control time senistive things through homeseer like pausing audio/video, its worth thinking about the traditional PLM for that use.

Logical/web services capabilities. There might be advantages for your setup in pushing messages to the hub or scraping them off. I think the jury is still out on this. Some users are trying it. But the hub doesn't "put" messages, you have to get them from the hub. So you'll (I think) have to create services that will compete with Mark's plugin to get the messages and juggle if you want to clear them or not.

In summary, if you just want to use Mark's plugin as is for now with homeseer and not count too much on the cloud features yet and don't need to work with web services, I think the hub would be a great place to start.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                    If you use the hub strictly as a PLM, I think you will be fine.

The other factors are

"Cloud" capability and smart phone apps. This will improve over time but needs some work. By summer / fall time I think it will be ready to use. Homeseer users need to re-add the devices they want to control to the smartphone app

... <snip> ...

In summary, if you just want to use Mark's plugin as is for now with homeseer and not count too much on the cloud features yet and don't need to work with web services, I think the hub would be a great place to start.
                    Thanks for the info. It sounds like they may get the kinks worked out eventually. I'm thinking I'll give it a try and if I run into too many issues, I'll just send it back. I'm not sure how often they're going to update the firmware, but hopefully enough to get the bugs worked out.

Comment

It was pushed out of the door early for Christmas, no doubt. Since there was 20% discount and free shipping then it was hard to go wrong, and as you say, send it back if it doesn't work.

There are features in the smartphone app and the hub's web pages for uploading new firmware and my update is from October. My guess is that they are fevorishly working on the next update right now.
                      Paul

Comment

please post log snippets if you continue to have problems.
                        Hi Mark,

I did more rigorous tests today. Attached are information and log snippet.

Out of 20 commands sent:
                        - the first was a manual Off from the HS console, just to set the plugin's state
                        - 7 succeeded
                        - 2 failed with no significant log entry
                        - 10 failed, but the log shows a buffer clear

None of my group commands seem to reach the plugin.

I can confirm commands sent from my remote were processed successfully by the hub (visual clue).
                        Attached Files

Comment

claude,

what are the responses like if you send the cmds directly from a browser? can you test

the group cmds only generate an ack from the plm but not from the dest devices. But the group participants should respond if the cmd goes through. Try CF in the group cmd instead of CA.

i can add a log entry to show you the hub buffer but you are already seeing 'received' msgs. I'm confident that you are seeing whatever the hub buffer has.

not sure where to go from here
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

claude,

what are the responses like if you send the cmds directly from a browser? can you test
                            From IE9, commands some times complete, some times don't. From the remote, iPad with DemoPad using GETs, commands complete consistently.

Try CF in the group cmd instead of CA.
                            Done, I'll test again when I get some time

not sure where to go from here
                            My remote works consistently, that's where I wanted to be. That the plugin would keep status in sync would have been a nice to have but no deal breaker: I can always poll from HS, even though it's sometimes painfully slow.

I tried hard to trace the packets, but for some reason Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4, even in P-mode, can't seem to show packets to/from the hub. When I get this deep into trouble, I count my gains and exit.

I say, shelf it for now.

Comment

Polling delays with the hub

I'm experiencing significant delays when polling via the hub. Getting several 'failed polling' statuses over 43 devices tells me someone's having a hard time getting responses back.

I'm powering the hub in the same wall socket as my old 2413U and nothing has changed in my home electrical configuration. And, yes, I have my diimmed desktop lamp off.

I'm looking into it, but was wondering if other hub users are experiencing a similar issue.

[edit] There is no 'Continue' button at the end of the poll as before; is this a change in the last versions?

Comment

I have 27 devices now, including 3 keypad lincs (which are 8 insteon controllers each) I don't poll everything. Having said that, no problems. Those things I do poll, poll properly.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X