Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZWave network unstable after adding devices

Hi all-

I added 6 new HS WS100+ switches and a few WD100+. After adding them to the network the whole thing is now unstable. Prior to adding them I have about 30 (mostly Cooper) devices and an array of other things.

As to unstable, I mean that I cannot reliably control the devices. Strangely, the new HS devices seem a lot more stable than the Cooper ones.

I have performed multiple full optimizations, some of which seem to throw the Z-Net into a red LED state, and the optimize stops. I am also finding this repeating in the logs:

Oct-20 7:45:45 AM Error Posting back to plugin web page ZWaveConfig: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.LogicalCallContext.Propaga teIncomingHeadersToCallContext(IMessage msg) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type) at HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(String page, String data, String user, Int32 userRights) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc(StateObject& state, String Data)

Oct-20 7:45:45 AM Error Posting back to plugin web page ZWaveControllers: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.LogicalCallContext.Propaga teIncomingHeadersToCallContext(IMessage msg) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type) at HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(String page, String data, String user, Int32 userRights) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc(StateObject& state, String Data)

[EDIT] For the above errors I just found the zwave pluging crashed on the server and restarted. This is not the first time this has happened.

I just installed .150 zwave plugin (from .130) - it did not help.

I have also tried that "Reset Z-Wave Data" button. No new help there.

Any thoughts on a path I should take to stabilize things? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    John

ZWave can be frustrating and somewhat magical in how it works
    That said, I've seen recommendations to only perform the Optimize instead of the Full Optimize. You should also perform this from the 'inside - out' meaning start with the device that is closest to your Z-Net and work your way out.

If you have a HS3 Pro license, you should also try out Z-Seer+ which may help you track down some strange routes or nodes with no neighbors.

Also, is your Z-Net mounted somewhat high?
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

The really frustrating thing is that the network was stable for a couple years. Then I had to go and touch it... ;-)

I will try the step-by-step approach that you recommended. Additionally, I do have Z-Seer+ so will experiment further. I actually started it up this morning and it got to node 14 and then started reporting back the following for the remainder of the nodes:

Could not contact node X without routing
      Could not contact node X at all

Although... I can still access the ones that it is saying are missing (albeit unstably). And it was odd that from node 14 onward, it could not get ahold of anything. Not sure what to make of that.

Finally, I am in a 2-story house and the Z-Net is on the first floor, on a shelf, toward the middle of the house. It is not mounted. I can move it upstairs in my equipment closet if that would be helpful... Move the Z-Net and then manually optimize nodes one-by-one? [edit: after some research here I see that higher is better, as well as a vertical mounting - I will make that change before optimizing]

I appreciate the help!

John
      Last edited by Keoni; October 20, 2017, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I moved the Z-Net upstairs and mounted vertically. And I optimized the nodes in order of distance from the Z-Net. That took a lot of patience as many were unreachable without trying over, and over again.

That seemed to help. Mostly. Still a bit flaky, but after running Z Health overnight it seems reasonable. I noticed a few other things though so will start a new thread.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
        X