Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z wave switch for hardwired pull chain light

Hello there,
    Can anyone suggest a device for some light fixtures that are hardwired with a pull chain? They are garage ceiling lights and I want a switch not a dimmer.

Next one... attic lights that are hardwired and have a pull chain but I can easily add a switch at the beginning unless... you recommend a better option for a switch to control them.

Thanks!

If possible I'd suggest adding a light switch to control the garage lights. That gives you both manual and automated control.

If you only need automated control any of the micro or nano switches can be installed inside the light fixture or it's electrical box. The downside is that you will lose the ability to use your pull chain to manually control the light.

You could still install a wall switch that in turn controls the micro/nano switch via your HA system
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

I could add a switch but not easily so that is why I am looking for a z wave switch that is not manual.

I didn't realize I would lose manual control with a nano switch. I may skip that one for now.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceWayne View Post
        I could add a switch but not easily so that is why I am looking for a z wave switch that is not manual.

I didn't realize I would lose manual control with a nano switch. I may skip that one for now.
        All z-wave switches have some sort of manual that I know of for obvious reasons. Also if you add something inline like a micro switch when turned off it will kill power going to the pullchain or light (equivalent of adding an inline switch). So with the microswitch (zwave) turned off you cant use the pull chain anymore. and if anyone pulls the chain and turns that off then the z-wave or micro switch turned on or off will no longer turn the light on either. To me it's a mickey mouse solution. Adding a light switch is the right way but not the only way.

Problem here is pull chain is 19th century and z-wave is 21st. Unfortunately the gap is to large to have a z-wave pull string switch or an easy retro fit due to that gap.

Comment

If you use a relay/switch micro module you can wire the pull chain to it's switch input.

You would need to use a module that supports using a bistable switch - I know the Fibaro modules do, not sure about others.

Then you can have both manual and homeseer control of the lights.

Cheers

Jon.

Comment

Aeon MicroSwitches can be configured to work with momentary or toggle switches. I don't have Nanos to try but I'd be surprised if Nano switches don't implement this functionality.

Qubino relays should also work.

When installing these things in the lamp fixture, make sure antenna is not surrounded by metal. I had some bad experiences

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. For now I am going to put it on the back burner. It was for 8ft led/fluorescent light fixtures and as usual the body is all metal. I rarely use them so the expense and work to make them z wave right now isn't work it.

On to the next project...

Comment

Working...
              X