X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMX512 (ANSI E1.11) Plugin

LINK
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

I've messed with DMX quite a bit with HS, I've got no real practical use but I was interested so I've done the following;

1) My own DMX transmitter using an Arduino, the Arduino had code on it that accepted a serial input and then I sent that serial data from HomeSeer. I created both a plugin and also a script to send it, worked fine for sending simple data but I had issue with sending things like complex changing data (fades etc) - this however was could be attributable to some of my programming. I did write my own plugin in HS for this but it was fairly basic.

2) FreeStyler - free application that also had an in built TCP server, you could therefore send some instructions from HomeSeer via TCP and then the app did the hard work in terms of sending the data to the DMX (I was using a cheap eBay USB>RS485 converter board). The hard work was outsourced so I did not have to worry about serial communication at all. I did put some example scripts up for that.

3) DMXControl - another free application, again offers some degree of external control. I then built some DIY ArtNet nodes that I can set up on the fly and then use to send the DMX, benefit being that it was wireless from my HS PC. Think this may be cross platform?

IMHO I would not even try and emulate DMX devices in HS, the UI and event engine is not built in the same way that a piece of lighting software is, events are not designed to loop (they'll stick around and then go), events may cross over with each other if you are not careful so trying to create any sort of scene with the event builder is going to be painful, hard work and difficult to deal with. Very simple control could be achieved but the thing is you advertise a DMX plugin you might have to deal with people who try and do more than the plugin is capable of.

My $0.02? Leave the hard work of chases, effects, slow fades, cross fades, device libraries etc to a purpose built piece of DMX software like FreeStyler or DMX control. Let them do the hard work, set up your scenes/effects on those applications and then just call them from HomeSeer via the external control methods they advertise. OK I know you get less control from HomeSeer but you will save trying to build something that may amount to a Pyrrhic victory!

Comment

Developer Tools for HS3 Plugins

Timon, To respond to your wondering about cost of developer tools may be necessary to write HS3 plugins, the answer is $0.

Download the Visual Studio Community Edition and some plug-in sample code in VB or C#. You should not need any further tools.

That being said, the plug-in sample code is not exactly self-explanatory. They would do well to comment a lot more. Good luck, though! Would be very interested in seeing a DMX512 plugin.

Comment

Working...
      X