Intercom over TCP/IP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intercom over TCP/IP?

With almost everything being able to connect via ethernet, it would be great to add intercom to my house. I already have multi-zone music using Squeezebox and various touch screens around the house, and almost every room has a ethernet connection (or it can be arranged using HomePlug).

However, it seems to me like there are few intercom available? Or perhaps (and hopefully) I'm missing something?
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

No your not missing a thing!!!

I have tried every bit of software I can find and nothing is a simple intercom, I wanted something so the wife could use the touchscreen in the kitchen to talk to me on the hstouch running in my workshop.

If you find anything PLEASE let me know.

TrOjAn

Comment

Guessing here but you could can run asterisk on just about anything these days.

http://www.asterisk.org/

I did notice the OS on the IP camera that I am playing with has built in SIP functionality and wondered how popular that is now over in China. It might be easier to set up a video intercom with the smaller HD IP cameras with SIP built in.

I'm currently "playing" with Squeezebox, XBMC and MythTV on a Linux box. I don't like what Logitech did to the Squeezebox server so its making me lean a bit more towards XBMC lately. Logitech has stifled its functionality a bit.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I would say having a SIP intercom would be fantastic, with something like a group broadcast, or auto dial. That way the outside intercom could direct to your mobile phone if you are not home!

This is something id love to see enabled in hstouch, how cool would it be to be able to have a plugin, and use the touchscreens to speak to people in different rooms etc (Gives me a few other ideas for the Jogglers, if i can get a Mic)
        HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post
          No your not missing a thing!!!

I have tried every bit of software I can find and nothing is a simple intercom, I wanted something so the wife could use the touchscreen in the kitchen to talk to me on the hstouch running in my workshop.

If you find anything PLEASE let me know.
          That's too bad, I was really hoping for an existing solution. Your scenario is what I want: Push a button on the touch screen and talk....

If I find anything I will of course let you know.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Guessing here but you could can run asterisk on just about anything these days.

http://www.asterisk.org/

I did notice the OS on the IP camera that I am playing with has built in SIP functionality and wondered how popular that is now over in China. It might be easier to set up a video intercom with the smaller HD IP cameras with SIP built in.
          I'm not that familiar with Asterix, but I'm sure it is possible. I was looking for more of an out-of-the-box solution, but perhaps with time (and an increase of "want")...

I'm currently "playing" with Squeezebox, XBMC and MythTV on a Linux box. I don't like what Logitech did to the Squeezebox server so its making me lean a bit more towards XBMC lately. Logitech has stifled its functionality a bit.
          What XBMC is missing is a server option, at least that I'm aware of. I'd love to use XBMC, as it can run on almost anything (I have two Raspberry Pi's waiting), but I like the features I get using Squeezebox and SageTV server installs: Just connect to the server and everything is already configured, no need to configure each unit...
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I am currently doing a kind of DIY sageTV thing with xbmc and mythTV. I have read that the Raspberry's do only OK at streaming HD.

You don't really need to have a back end headless XBMC server these days. I have one box which runs TVersity and PlayOn TV which does well serving up stuff to the XBMC boxes. XBMC though already had plugins to stream video from the internet; so you don't really need TVersity and PlayONTV anymore really.

I'm "cheating" a bit using the smaller Aopen DE's at the LCD TV's as a Linux based XBMC box. Testing so far I can stream internal music, internet music, internet radio, internal and external movies and live TV. It works just fine wired to the network playing back HD content. Personally have migrated from the chrooted little mini NMT's to this and its easier than trying to distribute HDMI. Its making each TV a smart TV in a way. The little AOpen DE's are not much bigger than the little Patriot PBO NMT I was using. Controlling XBMC remote features are commonly available such that you could have a HS plugin which could act as an over the network remote control. It would be a preference to do it this way via a plugin versus doing an IR remote thing.

Asterix has become a main stream piece of software that you can run on just about anything. A little more horsepower server and you can do video with it. There are and have been many wintel (and Linux) software only combo video/audio software dialers now for many years. So doing a custom HS touch plugin / or enabler of sorts isn't really too difficult.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

You don't really need to have a back end headless XBMC server these days. I have one box which runs TVersity and PlayOn TV which does well serving up stuff to the XBMC boxes. XBMC though already had plugins to stream video from the internet; so you don't really need TVersity and PlayONTV anymore really.
              You don't need one, but I'd still want one. It just makes life easier...

As I said, having a central for media would be great. I have TVersity running, but it is not as user friendly as SageTV and SqueezeBox. I also want WAF to be as high as possible!

Comment

Understood.

I am currently configuring a Squeezebox server for a friend who is a dentist currently using the Chumby's as multi do whats for her office stuff. Two offices two dentists. Very high WAF (I am not married to them though).
                Last edited by Pete; August 27, 2012, 09:01 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Cyberdata makes VOIP door intercoms. You can also setup asterisk on your computer and get a SIP client for your smartphone. Valcom makes some good stuff too. VIP-801, VIP-201, etc

Comment

I also found Barix, more specifically this: http://www.barix.com/Annuncicom_PS1/1781/

But I fear the price is far from "right" (read: "low enough")...

Comment

For those interested in a DIY. The smallest IP camera boards now are about 16mm X 38mm square. The OS's all include SIP.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

You guys convinced me to try an experiment. Its a ways away from a video doorbell but a start. For whatever reason years ago I built and totally wired my maibox (its a brick thing). I am slowly shifting over to all IP cameras from Analog. Today I do have a very small footprint analog camera mounted on it. The "can" that I used for the electronics facing the house is very generic. I could fit a front protected from the weather part of one of those new IP camera boards on the cover of the "can" built into the mailbox using one of these small 38" square do all IP HD cameras to see how well it works. That said I will set up the OS with a SIP server and play. The mailbox sits like maybe 50 feet from the house and would use POE.

I'll do a pictorial of the "build" and document testing.
                        Attached Files
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Let me chime on whatwas thinking i currently own an AXIS Q7404 which is capable of two way audio control.http://www.axis.com/products/cam_q7404/
                          My ides is to use it with touchscreen and a door speaker button like
                          http://www.smarthome.com/83630SN/Cha...-Nickel/p.aspx

I think this is possible but haven tried it yet.

Comment

I like Axis products. Very well made.

I'm going way cheap on my test.

The attached sells for way under $100 (like $40 USD). Its very small at 38mm square by about 24mm high. That said it includes wireless, 2MP, SIP and all of the bells and whistles miniaturized.
                            Attached Files
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm going way cheap on my test.

The attached sells for way under $100 (like $40 USD). Its very small at 38mm square by about 24mm high. That said it includes wireless, 2MP, SIP and all of the bells and whistles miniaturized.
                              If you get this to work, it would be great to have a detailed recipe...

Comment

Working...
                              X