FOSCAM camera help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOSCAM camera help

I am looking at purchasing a FOSCAM camera. I emailed the company TWICE and haven't gotten any help so I decided to see if someone here could help me.

My issues is, I think the cord is 10-15 feet long, my problem is, where I need to put the camera is further away (about 25-30 feet) and I don't feel like paying an electrician to come and put in an outlet. So here are my questions and if there is another option I have forgotten, please feel free to add.

1) Using their 10 foot extension, how many can you use and does it reduce the power to the camera?

2) if using POE, how long can the CAT5 cable be without reducing the power?

3) is it possible to use POE from an outlet (possibly a converter of some sort) instead of running all the way from my hub which is in the basement and would require just as much work as hiring an electrician.

4) Is there a better camera to use instead of FOSCAM? I was planning on FOSCAM because it seems the easiest to set up in HS3 with their FOSCAM camera support.

I don't know about the Foscams in particular but I have a generic Chinese brand type wireless camera from DX and it is rubbish over my cable which is probably twelve feet long if that. It frequently drops out from a regulated supply (a surplus Seagate hard drive supply so of reasonable quality) and I suspect the cheaper the cameras are the worse they handle any sort of volt drop across a cable, longer the cable the worse the drop. I imagine in mine the power regulation circuit is probably as cheap as it can be.

Whether you will see issues depends on the cable and the camera, more cameras, more current.

I believe PoE is good for about 100 metres and you can get PoE injectors to use mid way along a cable if that helps..

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      I don't know about the Foscams in particular but I have a generic Chinese brand type wireless camera from DX and it is rubbish over my cable which is probably twelve feet long if that. It frequently drops out from a regulated supply (a surplus Seagate hard drive supply so of reasonable quality) and I suspect the cheaper the cameras are the worse they handle any sort of volt drop across a cable, longer the cable the worse the drop. I imagine in mine the power regulation circuit is probably as cheap as it can be.

Whether you will see issues depends on the cable and the camera, more cameras, more current.

I believe PoE is good for about 100 metres and you can get PoE injectors to use mid way along a cable if that helps..
      Do you know if there is anything like a plug type POE... that I can just plug into an outlet, run the CAT5 cable the 30 feet I need and then use the wireless from the camera?

Comment

Originally posted by cpd5899 View Post
        I am looking at purchasing a FOSCAM camera. I emailed the company TWICE and haven't gotten any help so I decided to see if someone here could help me.

My issues is, I think the cord is 10-15 feet long, my problem is, where I need to put the camera is further away (about 25-30 feet) and I don't feel like paying an electrician to come and put in an outlet. So here are my questions and if there is another option I have forgotten, please feel free to add.

1) Using their 10 foot extension, how many can you use and does it reduce the power to the camera?

2) if using POE, how long can the CAT5 cable be without reducing the power?

3) is it possible to use POE from an outlet (possibly a converter of some sort) instead of running all the way from my hub which is in the basement and would require just as much work as hiring an electrician.

4) Is there a better camera to use instead of FOSCAM? I was planning on FOSCAM because it seems the easiest to set up in HS3 with their FOSCAM camera support.
        I have 5 Foscam cameras (FI8918 & FI8910) but don't use their extension cable. Two of the cameras needed length but I was able to use a standard extension cord and hide all the cords. If an extension cord was impracticable, the safest (easiest) solution would be to buy a heavier duty wall wart (maybe one with terminals instead of a cable) and buy a connector and heavier guage wire and make my own extension cable.
        Integrating the Foscams to Homeseer & HSTouch is a snap.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
          I have 5 Foscam cameras (FI8918 & FI8910) but don't use their extension cable. Two of the cameras needed length but I was able to use a standard extension cord and hide all the cords. If an extension cord was impracticable, the safest (easiest) solution would be to buy a heavier duty wall wart (maybe one with terminals instead of a cable) and buy a connector and heavier guage wire and make my own extension cable.
          Integrating the Foscams to Homeseer & HSTouch is a snap.

Hope that helps.
          Would this http://foscam.us/active-poe-injector-98.html work even if the LAN cable wasn't brought from the router to the injector and only used the injector for POE?

Comment

Originally posted by cpd5899 View Post
            Would this http://foscam.us/active-poe-injector-98.html work even if the LAN cable wasn't brought from the router to the injector and only used the injector for POE?
            I believe so, assuming that you are using wireless for the video signal.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              I believe so, assuming that you are using wireless for the video signal.

Cheers
              Al
              Awesome... That's what I thought too.... Thanks for the all you help from everyone

Comment

Working...
              X