Under cabinet lighting options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under cabinet lighting options?

I am getting ready to do a tile back splash in my kitchen and as part of it, I have the ability to hardwire in under cabinet lights before doing the back splash. I want to use LEDs as under cabinet lighting, but also have RGB LEDs. What options do I have that I can control with both a regular light switch as well as my HS3 software? I want have it setup so that if I ever sell my house, the light switch will turn the RGB LED's on to a standard white, but will work independently of HS3.

I have thought of HUE strips, but am not 100% sold on that. So I am looking for other options, possibly Z-wave connected. So maybe just a z-wave light switch to some RGB LEDs controlled by an AC/DC adapter?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thank you as always!

The builder of my house chose to use the light switch to control a receptacle that is hidden under the sink on my kitchen island. The LED's low voltage transformer plugs into it. My setup was wired with a 2-wire setup for plain white LEDs.

I replaced the light switch with a Z-Wave switch that turns the receptacle that the transformer is plugged into ON-OFF. Note with a low voltage electronic transformer you can't really use a Z-Wave dimmer.

If I were doing this I would pre-wire with a 5 conductor flat cable running to the switched receptacle area. I would also opt for a setup that has a remote control and Wi-Fi access that would work with one of the HS3 plug-ins. Possibly consider a system that can default to white but is equipped with a remote control that you can leave behind for the new owners.

I am far from an expert on this but I have heard that the RGBWs offer greater control over the quality of the White light which may be something to consider.

Thanks though, now that I've got this stuck in my head I am going to have to upgrade my white LED counter lights 2-wire system to the RGBWs 5-wire setup. The projects never end

Comment

I just installed the LED lights listed below. It has a remote and if you put in a ZWave controlled outlet it will illuminate to the last setting when power is applied. You can also use an IR Blaster to control the lights from HS3. I have these as a back lighting on my flat screen TV. You can get 16' with power supply and remote from Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1...ght/1000086111

Bob

Comment

I have a white light version of these and they're great.
        https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Ch...=rgb+led+strip

Also, Qubino makes an RGB dimmer control http://qubino.com/products/flush-rgbw-dimmer/ but I don't know if it's available in the USA yet.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
          The builder of my house chose to use the light switch to control a receptacle that is hidden under the sink on my kitchen island. The LED's low voltage transformer plugs into it. My setup was wired with a 2-wire setup for plain white LEDs.

I replaced the light switch with a Z-Wave switch that turns the receptacle that the transformer is plugged into ON-OFF. Note with a low voltage electronic transformer you can't really use a Z-Wave dimmer.

If I were doing this I would pre-wire with a 5 conductor flat cable running to the switched receptacle area. I would also opt for a setup that has a remote control and Wi-Fi access that would work with one of the HS3 plug-ins. Possibly consider a system that can default to white but is equipped with a remote control that you can leave behind for the new owners.

I am far from an expert on this but I have heard that the RGBWs offer greater control over the quality of the White light which may be something to consider.

Thanks though, now that I've got this stuck in my head I am going to have to upgrade my white LED counter lights 2-wire system to the RGBWs 5-wire setup. The projects never end

Thanks for the suggestions! And I am happy to help getting a new idea in your head. The projects never end, boy if I don't hear that a lot from my wife, LOL. I am always finding some new project lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
            I just installed the LED lights listed below. It has a remote and if you put in a ZWave controlled outlet it will illuminate to the last setting when power is applied. You can also use an IR Blaster to control the lights from HS3. I have these as a back lighting on my flat screen TV. You can get 16' with power supply and remote from Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1...ght/1000086111

Bob
            Thank you. Do you know what IR blaster would work for something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
              I have a white light version of these and they're great.
              https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Ch...=rgb+led+strip

Also, Qubino makes an RGB dimmer control http://qubino.com/products/flush-rgbw-dimmer/ but I don't know if it's available in the USA yet.
              Nice pics of your work! I think that Qubino would be a great, but as you mentioned it may not be available here yet. I will have to do some digging.

Thanks,

Comment

Thank you. Do you know what IR blaster would work for something like this?
                I use the Global Cache WF2IR to control my Home Theater system and my LED lighting. I also use the IR Blaster on the WF2IR (Port 3) to control my gas fireplace in the Theater Room. If needed, there are IR extenders that will re-transmit the IR signal from the IR Blaster into another room.

Bob

Comment

I have a few of the LEDENET DC 12V 24V Magic UFO LED WiFi Controller for controlling RGBW RGBWW LED Strip Lights, see https://www.amazon.com/LEDENET-Contr.../dp/B00MDKOSN0

Click image for larger version

Name:	UFO LED Controller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1190351

I am using the UFO LED WiFi Controller for controlling RGBW lights in some crown molding and under the cabinet floor kick panels in the master bathroom. Using my phone I can control the the color and intensity of the lights. We are working on putting some LED lights in the Kitchen, above the cabinets and in the floor kick panels for accent lighting. We are also working on putting the white lights under the cabinets for better cabinet lighting. It was difficult to get a good picture in the bathroom. These are a few pictures with the intensity set at 100%, the effect in this room looks much better when it is turned down to around 40%.

Name:	20170221_182806.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1190352

Name:	20170221_182740.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1190353

I was able to download a packet capture program and reverse engineer on/off and some of the color settings that the wife likes... Using a packet sender program I am sending the captured data to turn the units off/on and change the colors as needed using HomeSeer. I do not believe that anyone has created a plugin at this time, although it appears someone was at one time, see https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=170515. I was trying to reverse engineer the calculation on the check sum, but so far have not found a reliable calculation.

Is anyone using these units?
                  Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Jon19 View Post
                    Nice pics of your work! I think that Qubino would be a great, but as you mentioned it may not be available here yet. I will have to do some digging.

Thanks,
                    There is a Fibaro RGBW controller listed on eBay which appears to be for the North American market. The UPC code and model numbers are different from the Fibaro's listed on a European site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fibaro-Z-Wav...UAAOSwHMJYDSfy

I think I would still use a switch controlled 120v outlet so the system could be dumbed down or upgraded in the future. I can't imaging selling a house that required an HS3 install.

Comment

I can't imaging selling a house that required an HS3 install.
                      In this day and age, I don't see that as a problem. I envision selling my house complete with HS3, all the zwave devices, the pc I use just for HA/Security, the camera system, etc.

I can't see tearing it all out and putting in basic switches. The new owner will be shown the ropes and what they do with it is up to them.

By that time, there will be something completely new on the horizon and I'll be able to play with some new toys.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions, this gives me enough to get moving in the right direction. I may try a couple different ideas to see what works best.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
                          There is a Fibaro RGBW controller listed on eBay which appears to be for the North American market. The UPC code and model numbers are different from the Fibaro's listed on a European site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fibaro-Z-Wav...UAAOSwHMJYDSfy

I think I would still use a switch controlled 120v outlet so the system could be dumbed down or upgraded in the future. I can't imaging selling a house that required an HS3 install.
                          I saw the Fibaro units, but the $70 price caused me to search for something else. I was able to find the LEDENET DC 12V 24V Magic UFO LED WiFi Controllers on Amazon for $12 a piece. They are around $25 now... I have been pleased with their performance so far. What I have in HomeSeer turns the units off and on, some color change if certain conditions are met. A plugin would be nice. The units seem to be working well and we can also control them via our phone without HomeSeer if needed...
                          Billy

Comment

for me i wanted to go a cheap route but due to wife and also local codes i was left with an expensive and painful setup...

I have 2 x ge zwave toggle dimmable switches that each go to a dimmable tranformer. Then I used white 12" LED strips with 3m sticky on other side.

funny thing is the guy at the electrical store told me the ebay cheap crap will die and i will constantly be replacing them..

well i already in 3 months have 2 of these 12" "expensive but so much better solutions" strip go bad. havent gone back yet but plan to since my entire setup cost me $750!!!!! oh and i did all the work...
                            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
                              I have a few of the LEDENET DC 12V 24V Magic UFO LED WiFi Controller for controlling RGBW RGBWW LED Strip Lights, see https://www.amazon.com/LEDENET-Contr.../dp/B00MDKOSN0

[ATTACH]60330[/ATTACH]

I am using the UFO LED WiFi Controller for controlling RGBW lights in some crown molding and under the cabinet floor kick panels in the master bathroom. Using my phone I can control the the color and intensity of the lights. We are working on putting some LED lights in the Kitchen, above the cabinets and in the floor kick panels for accent lighting. We are also working on putting the white lights under the cabinets for better cabinet lighting. It was difficult to get a good picture in the bathroom. These are a few pictures with the intensity set at 100%, the effect in this room looks much better when it is turned down to around 40%.

[ATTACH]60331[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH]60332[/ATTACH]

I was able to download a packet capture program and reverse engineer on/off and some of the color settings that the wife likes... Using a packet sender program I am sending the captured data to turn the units off/on and change the colors as needed using HomeSeer. I do not believe that anyone has created a plugin at this time, although it appears someone was at one time, see https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=170515. I was trying to reverse engineer the calculation on the check sum, but so far have not found a reliable calculation.

Is anyone using these units?
                              I use an eBay unit that uses the same software. You have gotten further along than I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X