X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does PLM need replacing?

Hi,

About 9 months ago I added some insteon devices to my network. Over the last little while I am noticing that they never really work. I think it could be the PLM (2413s) that is not working properly, but am not entirely sure.

What I have been finding is that if I unplug my PLM and restart the plugin it sometimes starts to work. However it never lasts for long.

As an example, I got it working at 1pm today. You'll see from the log that I was able to successfully control a lamp dimming through homeseer from a button on an insteon keypad. I was able to run a comm test from the plugin mgmt page. Then 30 minutes later, I was no longer able to run a comm test successfully.

I'm attaching the insteon error report as well as the insteon log entries.

any ideas what might be going on here? I've read a lot about the PLM device being unreliable and breaking down so am wondering if this is the likely issue. Is there anything in the logs that confirms this or provides any indication that there might be a different problem?
    Attached Files

have you tried a interface reset and reprogram from the plugin
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I have now tried that again. It is still behaving poorly.

Comment

can you tell me the hardware version of your plm? its on the sticker on the outside
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

2413S V2.2 1622

Comment

Adam,

the plm version looks good.

have you looked for a noisy insteon device (or other electrical device) that might be flooding the plm with traffic which would cause the plugin issues?

I would look at the devices you added 9 months ago that you referenced in your first post
            Last edited by mnsandler; July 13, 2017, 10:07 AM. Reason: I would look at the devices you added 9 months ago that you referenced in your first post
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

How would I identify a "noisy" insteon device or other device that is flooding the plm with traffic? How could I determine if the plm is being flooded with traffic?

Comment

I think the led on the plm flashes when it sends and receives msgs. check the plm led when you aren't transmitting anything from the plugin.

pull the set btn on switches to disable them, and retest. start with the most recent devices.

you could also cut circuit breakers to help identify when the noise might be coming from.

the plm should be plugged directly into an outlet (not a power strip, surge, or battery backup)
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

the plm is and always has been plugged into an outlet directly.

The LED is always lit up green. When I turn on/off an insteon light via the homeseer web page, there might be a minor flicker on the LED of the PLM, but I am not even sure if there really is one. It is very slight.

Given that the LED is always on (I'm assuming that is normal) and there is maybe a very slight flicker when I control and insteon device, not sure how I could use the LED to identify if there is noise overloading the PLM.

Comment

ok. than follow my other suggestions and see what you get.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

which other suggestion?

the circuit breaker one?

Comment

yes

pull the set btn on switches to disable them, and retest. start with the most recent devices.

you could also cut circuit breakers to help identify when the noise might be coming from.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

some updates on my end.

I ended up getting a warranty replacement on the PLM.

I removed all the devices form the plugin, switched over to the new PLM, did a factory reset on the keypad and just re-added that one keypad.

It worked properly at first. Now today, if I do a comm test it fails all 4 tries.

Jul-15 11:28:26 AM Insteon Scheduled polling resumed.
                          Jul-15 11:28:26 AM Insteon Did not get a ping response from Insteon device Mudroom Dual-Band KeypadLinc On/Off 0 (41.42.AF)
                          Jul-15 11:28:25 AM Insteon Pinging Insteon device 41.42.AF
                          Jul-15 11:28:25 AM Insteon Did not get a ping response from Insteon device Mudroom Dual-Band KeypadLinc On/Off 0 (41.42.AF)
                          Jul-15 11:28:24 AM Insteon Pinging Insteon device 41.42.AF
                          Jul-15 11:28:24 AM Insteon Did not get a ping response from Insteon device Mudroom Dual-Band KeypadLinc On/Off 0 (41.42.AF)
                          Jul-15 11:28:24 AM Insteon Pinging Insteon device 41.42.AF
                          Jul-15 11:28:24 AM Insteon Did not get a ping response from Insteon device Mudroom Dual-Band KeypadLinc On/Off 0 (41.42.AF)
                          Jul-15 11:28:20 AM Insteon Pinging Insteon device 41.42.AF
                          Jul-15 11:28:20 AM Insteon Scheduled polling temporarily stopped.
                          Jul-15 11:28:20 AM Insteon Device index 1 was selected.

However if I try to turn the light on from the homeseer interface, I get entries in my log that would seem to indicate the action failed

Jul-15 11:29:30 AM Insteon Transmit failed to device Mudroom Dual-Band KeypadLinc On/Off 0 (41.42.AF) for cmd 00 00 00 41 42 AF 0F 11 FF after 5 tries.
                          Jul-15 11:29:27 AM Device Control Device: Mudroom Dual-Band KeypadLinc On/Off 0 - Button On/Load to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

HOWEVER, the light actually turned on but the status of the device changed to 'unknown'. If the log is showing the communication failed, how did it turn on the light?

The new PLM is a v1.B 1252 (vs. the original is a V2.2 1622). Although the issues seem to be similar with both PLMs, could the new PLM hardware be causing a separate issue that just seems similar? That seems unlikely to me, but worth considering.

Is this issue is simply a function of the power in my house and not easily diagnosable/solveable, am I better to switch to an insteon hub (2245-222) and not use the PLM (is that even possible?). I basically have ~5 6/8 button keypads that I use to control a few local loads, one lamplinc and the rest of the buttons on the keypads are intended to start various homeseer events.
                          The cost of a hub is low enough that if it solves my problem by me not needing the PLM, it'll be a worthwhile investment.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by adamgreenberg View Post
                            ... HOWEVER, the light actually turned on but the status of the device changed to 'unknown'. If the log is showing the communication failed, how did it turn on the light?
                            Mark S. would know for sure, but I suspect the command goes out OK, but no ACK detected, therefore the 'fail'. Seeing the issue with 2 PLM's, I believe there is some sort of noise interference in play.

So, as Mark would say, "have you looked for a noisy insteon device (or other electrical device) " ?

Comment

All of my other insteon keypads have the airgap switch pulled out so I wouldn't imagine they could be causing noise.

As to whether there is something else in my house causing some noise, I can't say for sure. I have 40 breakers in my electrical panel. The thought of having to systematically shut down each one (or groups of them) to identify if there is something on one particular breaker causing noise is daunting. That is why I was asking about the hub. If a <$75 hub can save me that trouble (because there is no guarantee that I'd even find a problem), I'd go that route.

Does the hub get around the problem of something causing noise on the wires? Are there drawbacks to using a hub vs. a PLM

Comment

Working...
                              X