Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SET DEVICE ... TO ... doesn't work in events??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SET DEVICE ... TO ... doesn't work in events??

I have an XPS3 - a plain, on/off wall switch with no status reporting and a paddle for local control. I set this up in HS3 (Linux, if that matters) and in the Device List I see the switch with ON and OFF buttons. Good so far...

If I click ON or OFF in the device list, HS3 ALWAYS sends the command to the device, regardless of whether HS3 thinks the device is already on or off. That's important because since the switch has local control AND doesn't report its status, HS could be wrong about the current state of the switch. All's well so far...

The problem is that if I create an event that says something like "IF ... whatever ... THEN SET DEVICE MySwitch TO OFF" then HS3 DOESN'T do this. It appears that if HS3 thinks the device is already off then the "SET DEVICE .... TO OFF" in the event doesn't do anything. In the situation where somebody has locally changed the state of the switch to be ON, this is a real bummer - it means the event doesn't work at all.

I can't be the first one with this problem. There must be a workaround, right?? Please ???

Have you tried switching it ON, then OFF in the event?

Comment

Are you using the latest version of the plug-in?

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185551
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

My apologies - after more poking around I find that I was wrong about the cause of the problem. It's not the SET DEVICE ... that's a problem; it's the condition I'm using to trigger the event.

I have an HR12 palmpad remote interfaced to HS3 with the RFXCOM plug in. When I press button 1 ON on the remote I want HS to turn on three lights, including the XPD3. Likewise button 1 OFF turns them off. Should be no problem for HS...

The HR12 sends X10 codes, so in my case button 1 sends A1 ON/A1 OFF. The only way I could figure out how to handle these events with RFXCOM was to create a "Palmpad Button 1" X10 device and assign it to A1, and then RFXCOM will change the state of the Palmpad button 1 device as I press the buttons on the remote.

My event then triggers on "IF Palmpad Button 1 changes and becomes ON" and, you guessed it, if HS3 thinks the button is already on then the event won't trigger again.

Looks like what I really want is to say "IF Palmpad Button 1 had its value set to ON". This appears to trigger every time I push the button on the HR12, regardless of what HS thinks the current state may be. That's the behavior I want.

Bob

Comment

You will want to use a trigger that is based on X10 RECEIVED rather than when a HS device changes state or value. Check to see if the RFXCOM plugin provides a "X10 Received" trigger and build an event like this:

When RFXCOM X10 Received: A1 ON Then
          Send X10 Command: C1 ON
          Send X10 Command: C4 ON
          Send X10 Command: D15 ON
          Note that using the "Send X10 Command:" will force the X10 Plugin (for powerline, not RF) to send the command regardless of the state of the device in HS.
          Best regards,
          -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
          Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
            You will want to use a trigger that is based on X10 RECEIVED rather than when a HS device changes state or value. Check to see if the RFXCOM plugin provides a "X10 Received" trigger and build an event like this...
            That'd be nice, but as far as I can tell RFXCOM doesn't provide any special triggers - everything (MS13, HR12, DS10, etc) creates a device and you trigger off that. Maybe I'm missing something, though. I've been using Heyu for years, but only switched to HomeSeer a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
              Note that using the "Send X10 Command:" will force the X10 Plugin (for powerline, not RF) to send the command regardless of the state of the device in HS.
              P.S. Thanks - I see that option, but the problem with that is that you have to specify the actual X10 house/device that you want to send. If my switch is say, B1, then that X10 code will appear in a bunch of different events. If I ever change the code for some reason, I'll be in bad shape. If I do "control a device", then the X10 code only appears once, in the definition of that device.

And despite my original comment, this doesn't seem to be a problem. "Control a device" always seems to send the X10 command regardless of the current state.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X