This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJVann View Post
    In reference to previous message, I just noticed that HS3 did not create any devices for any of the new On-Off Outlets I added to ISY today. The only ones showing in HS3 are the Living Room Top/Bottom outlet, which were the originals from some time ago. Here is how they are laid out in the ISY, for you reference, and note too that I tried a restart of HS3, but the errors continue and the devices are not present in any of the rooms.
    I don't have an outletlinc. I guess I might have to pick one up.

Have outletlinc's always had separate control over the top and bottom outlets? I don't recall having any code to handle that since any device that has one Insteon address but behave as multiple devices requires some special handling.

When you look at each in the ISY interface, how does the address show up for the top and the bottom outlet?
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

They don't sell OutletLincs any longer, these are the newer dual-band On/Off Outlets. These have individual control over each outlet with a red-or-green status LED to indicate if it's off or on. They're really nice - and the work properly with LED lighting, unlike the original OutletLincs.

The ISY shows the addresses with a 1 or 2 after it as follows:
      ##.##.## 1 Top Outlet
      ##.##.## 2 Bottom Outlet
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks,

I just took a look at the developer docs for the on/off outlet and it's a unique device (I.E. requires special handling that no other Insteon device requires).

At this point, the plug-in does not have support for this device. It should be showing up as an "unknown lighting device". I guess the top outlet might work by default, but since the ISY is showing two devices with the same Insteon address they look like duplicates to the plug-in right now.

I don't think I'll have time before next week to look at adding support for this device.

Also, Smarthome is now showing these as out of stock. Must be popular
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I found some time and just uploaded a new version that has some support for the On/Off Outlet.

I have the feeling I've missed something, but I'm not sure what. I did order an On/Off Outlet but no idea yet when they'll be back in stock.

You may have to remove any existing HS devices for the device(s) and restart the plug-in to have it recreate them, not sure.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Thanks for jumping on this so quickly! I updated the plug-in, deleted all outlets from HS3, and restarted HS3. It is creating 4 devices for every outlet. The HS Log appears to be setting the name correctly, but the Device Utility page is creating extra devices.

Look at the Dining Room Outlet, for example (highlighted in yellow). The bottom outlet has the "Tree Light" plugged into it, the "Top Outlet" is not in use yet.

The HS Log agrees with the ISY layout. They both say:
            1. Downstairs/Dining Room/Top Outlet
            2. Downstairs/Dining Room/Tree Light

HomeSeer is creating 2 devices for each of the 2 plugs:
            1. Downstairs/Dining Room/Top Outlet - BOTTOM
            2. Downstairs/Dining Room/Top Outlet - TOP
            3. Downstairs/Dining Room/Tree Light - BOTTOM
            4. Downstairs/Dining Room/Tree Light - TOP

Eventually "Top Outlet" or "Bottom Outlet" will be changed to describe whatever is plugged into it. For example, Coffee Pot, Desk Light, Accent Lights, Christmas Tree, etc.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so that didn't work. Maybe the outlet is more like a fanlinc module. Turns out that even though Smarthome listed them as out of stock, apparently I timed it right with my order and I should have one today to play with.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I think you'll like it - I was impressed with mine. It makes a nice permanent Insteon location, like next to the fireplace for holiday lighting, without having to leave a wall module plugged in all the time. Plus it looks kind of high-tech and impressive.

Comment

Just uploaded a new version with proper support for the On/Off Outlet. It wasn't as special as I had feared and really just needed to have the device type added to the list so that it wasn't an unknown device.

I guess I timed my order right and they got stock just as I ordered. I have it temporarily hooked up so that I could test. I wonder how well it handles high current (< 15amp) inductive loads? I've found one X10 outlet that could handle switching my dust collector on/off, everything else I've tried only lasted a few cycles before the relay contacts melted. Replacing that last X10 device with Insteon would be nice.
                  --
                  Bob Paauwe
                  ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

3.0.0.27 works perfectly - Thank you! I've not overly abused the outlets. Probably the hardest work was from a fan or my hammer drill to install the outlet into brick.

Comment

Comment

Can't control ISY programs from HS

Go figure. Several controller reboots yesterday (not ISY) and today programs can be triggered by HS.

Comment

I just tried this following the install instructions but it says $59.99 and no trial, you're charging $60USD for a beta of something we can't even test to see if it works? Definitely passing on this one sorry.

Comment

Download the beta from the first post in this thread.

the HS3 plug in is beta, but it's been running perfectly for me. I ran the HS2 version for years with NO problems. Bob's running an extended beta for the HS3 version to ensure it's completely dialed in.

Bob's plug-in is first class, and his support is tough to beat. If you run an ISY, it's the only way to fly.
                            My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Originally posted by ryuvann View Post
                              I just tried this following the install instructions but it says $59.99 and no trial, you're charging $60USD for a beta of something we can't even test to see if it works? Definitely passing on this one sorry.
                              That's the price it will be once it is out of beta and is available via the HomeSeer store. I believe the HomeSeer store automatically allows a trial period and it's not something the author has any control of. There is no charge to use the beta and the only restriction is that it will expire. However, as long as it's beta, there will be new versions that extend the expiration date.

I'm sorry that it wasn't clear. The installation override file is what get's sent to HomeSeer when adding it to their store and I just left in the price of the HS2 version of the plug-in.

Please go ahead and try it, you won't be charged anything and I welcome any feedback you may have.
                              --
                              Bob Paauwe
                              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I'm sorry I thought I had replied to this! I did get it working and it did work great. Where I'm torn is if I want to pay for Mark's plugin for native support or stick with the ISY. Mark's plugin does work well but I've had a few wonky issues and am nervous because it's not HomeSeer that made it, where as the ISY is made for Insteon out of the box. On the flip side if you stop your plugin then I'm stuck with an expensive ISY for nothing! But I guess better than if Mark stops his as at least I can use the ISY.

I noticed that my Z-Wave lights all added to HomeSeer as well which was nice. Not sure about locks or other things as I have a Z-Wave USB stick on HS3 already so no real need.

Going to give it a try once more as I have a few days left on the trial for Mark's plugin. I'm just so nervous January might roll around and you might disappear and then the plugin expires and I'm stuck!

Comment

Working...
                                X