Aeon Labs OTA Firmware Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Labs OTA Firmware Updates

Has anyone been able to do an OTA update on the various Gen5 devices through the HS3 software? I have looked all over for the appropriate hex or hec file but I have never found such an animal.

I know you can remove it from the network and upgrade it with a Z-Stick but that is a lot of hassle for someone with about 40 of these devices.

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
    Has anyone been able to do an OTA update on the various Gen5 devices through the HS3 software? I have looked all over for the appropriate hex or hec file but I have never found such an animal.

I know you can remove it from the network and upgrade it with a Z-Stick but that is a lot of hassle for someone with about 40 of these devices.
    Aeotec does not provide the binaries separately, so you must use their software and one of their controllers. Unless you are using an Aeon controller, you will have to exclude the device from HomeSeer, include it in a supported controller, update the firmware, exclude it from their controller and include it back in HomeSeer.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Works fine with the Z-Wave.me UZB-stick also. I just shutdown HS3 and start the update-program instead.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Aeotec does not provide the binaries separately, so you must use their software and one of their controllers. Unless you are using an Aeon controller, you will have to exclude the device from HomeSeer, include it in a supported controller, update the firmware, exclude it from their controller and include it back in HomeSeer.
        I was afraid of that. Too much hassle for the number of devices I have.

Comment

Can't you update the multi sensors thru the usb and a computer at least?

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
            Can't you update the multi sensors thru the usb and a computer at least?
            No, it has to be done OTA and by using the Windows executable that Aeon provides. the software can only communicate with supported contreollers connected by USB. The binary is buried in the executable. A while back someone posted that they disassembled the executable and were able to find the binary, but I never heard further about it.

According to Aeotec last year, they do not plan on releasing the firmware as a binary out of concerns to protect their "proprietary intellectual property".
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

But they have the same statement now as Fibaro has:

"Some gateways will support firmware upgrades over-the-air (OTA) and have MultiSensor 6's firmware upgrades packaged as part of their platform. For those that don't yet support such upgrades, MultiSensor 6's firmware can be upgraded using Z-Stick from Aeotec and Microsoft Windows."

Comment

Just FYI for anyone else that might be wondering if the Aeon Labs OTA windows app works with HS's SmartStick+... (I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else)

I finally got around to buying a spare SmartStick+ for testing, etc.

I tried their OTA app with the SS+ and it works fine. I upgraded a number of Multi6 units to v1.08 with no issues.

Sad thing about their OTA app is it does not even have a mode to obtain the firmware version of any added devices besides the root UBZ device itself. So you'll need to add your Multi6 to an existing HS system first if you care to see if it already has been upgraded to the current firmware version.

Comment

Originally posted by PoZoWo View Post
                  Just FYI for anyone else that might be wondering if the Aeon Labs OTA windows app works with HS's SmartStick+... (I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else)

I finally got around to buying a spare SmartStick+ for testing, etc.

I tried their OTA app with the SS+ and it works fine. I upgraded a number of Multi6 units to v1.08 with no issues.

Sad thing about their OTA app is it does not even have a mode to obtain the firmware version of any added devices besides the root UBZ device itself. So you'll need to add your Multi6 to an existing HS system first if you care to see if it already has been upgraded to the current firmware version.
                  Did you follow a guide on how to update the FW? Aeon Labs documentation sucks, and is all over the place.

Comment

I realize the last post here was from a while ago, but since Aeon Labs just came out with a new version of firmware (ie. 1.10) for the MultiSensor6-Gen 5 (ie ZW100), and I just spent the last couple of hours upgrading all of my sensors, I thought I'd document my steps.

First know that I run the Linux version of Home Seer with a Z-Net as my primary Z-wave Interface. I have an old Z-Stick that I'm using for upgrading these, using a separate Windows 10 PC.

1. Check the existing sensor while still connected to Homeseer. Do a connectivity test from the z-wave tab of the root device. Make sure it is reachable. I had one sensor that must have lost its reference to the zwave database some time ago, without me knowing. So, this just let me know I had an existing problem to fix, that wasn't caused by my firmware update.
                    2. Make sure the Aeon Labs firmware app can access your Z-Stick and shows as a valid device within the app.
                    3. Bring the sensor near your Windows 10 PC. In the Aeon Labs app, click Remove Node, and then press the action button on the sensor. This will clear the sensor's association to Homeseer (Note that I did NOT remove the node from Homeseer).
                    4. In the Aeon Labs app, click Add Node (then press the action button on the sensor) to tie the sensor to the Z-Stick on your Windows 10 PC.
                    5. Click on that new device and then over to the right in the firmware update section, click "start". That will begin the update. Should only take a few minutes. You'll get a message saying it was successful. I'm sure the device restarts in that process, but I power cycled it anyway to reboot it.
                    6. Remove the device association from the Z-Stick by clicking "Remove Node" in the Aeon Labs app, then clicking the action button on the sensor.
                    7. Now, let's get it re-associated to HomeSeer. Make sure the sensor is near the Homeseer's z-wave interface. Go back into HomeSeer and go to the root device of the sensor, then to the Z-wave tab. I click "Test Connectivity" verify that Homeseer can no longer see the device (since we cleared the association from the sensor in step 3).
                    8. Click "replace node". Homeseer will check to see if it can talk to the sensor (which it can't), then SHOULD tell you that it removed the node from the interface and is ready to add the new device. Click the Action button on the sensor and that SHOULD add it back in using the previous node number. If the re-add of the "new" node fails, Homeseer doesn't actually remove the "old" node.
                    9. Go check the device settings (there are some new ones).
                    10. Go check any events that were using the device to make sure everything's still good.

That's it. In theory, it should be a painless process. But we've all worked with this stuff long enough to know that things don't always go perfectly. But it does work.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by dlover; December 25, 2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlover View Post
                      I realize the last post here was from a while ago, but since Aeon Labs just came out with a new version of firmware (ie. 1.10) for the MultiSensor6-Gen 5 (ie ZW100), and I just spent the last couple of hours upgrading all of my sensors, I thought I'd document my steps.

First know that I run the Linux version of Home Seer with a Z-Net as my primary Z-wave Interface. I have an old Z-Stick that I'm using for upgrading these, using a separate Windows 10 PC.

1. Check the existing sensor while still connected to Homeseer. Do a connectivity test from the z-wave tab of the root device. Make sure it is reachable. I had one sensor that must have lost its reference to the zwave database some time ago, without me knowing. So, this just let me know I had an existing problem to fix, that wasn't caused by my firmware update.
                      2. Make sure the Aeon Labs firmware app can access your Z-Stick and shows as a valid device within the app.
                      3. Bring the sensor near your Windows 10 PC. In the Aeon Labs app, click Remove Node, and then press the action button on the sensor. This will clear the sensor's association to Homeseer (Note that I did NOT remove the node from Homeseer).
                      4. In the Aeon Labs app, click Add Node (then press the action button on the sensor) to tie the sensor to the Z-Stick on your Windows 10 PC.
                      5. Click on that new device and then over to the right in the firmware update section, click "start". That will begin the update. Should only take a few minutes. You'll get a message saying it was successful. I'm sure the device restarts in that process, but I power cycled it anyway to reboot it.
                      6. Remove the device association from the Z-Stick by clicking "Remove Node" in the Aeon Labs app, then clicking the action button on the sensor.
                      7. Now, let's get it re-associated to HomeSeer. Make sure the sensor is near the Homeseer's z-wave interface. Go back into HomeSeer and go to the root device of the sensor, then to the Z-wave tab. I click "Test Connectivity" verify that Homeseer can no longer see the device (since we cleared the association from the sensor in step 3).
                      8. Click "replace node". Homeseer will check to see if it can talk to the sensor (which it can't), then SHOULD tell you that it removed the node from the interface and is ready to add the new device. Click the Action button on the sensor and that SHOULD add it back in using the previous node number. If the re-add of the "new" node fails, Homeseer doesn't actually remove the "old" node.
                      9. Go check the device settings (there are some new ones).
                      10. Go check any events that were using the device to make sure everything's still good.

That's it. In theory, it should be a painless process. But we've all worked with this stuff long enough to know that things don't always go perfectly. But it does work.

Good luck!
                      I wish they had kept the ability to just upgrade via USB.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Aeon Labs just came out with a new version of firmware (ie. 1.10) for the MultiSensor6-Gen 5 (ie ZW100)
                        Thanks! And are you satisfied with the latest changes?

Comment

I haven't seen any issues with the firmware. I was actually trying to solve a different issue. Recently, I've been trying to fix an issue where I ALWAYS get new child devices created on these sensors if I re-scan the root device. Never fails. I rescan and I get a new Temperature, Humidity, and Lumens child devices. This is incredibly painful as it sometimes, becomes the actual device that is getting the current device values. Besides messing up my configs, I now have to go check every event and HS Touch design layout.

I figured I must have introduced a new incompatibility with some of the latest HS3 betas and z-wave betas. So, I upgraded the sensor to see if that would fix it. And it did not. Same issue.

But once I figured out how to upgrade these, I figured I might as well upgrade them all (I have about 6).

Comment

@dlover - I saw your other post about the same issue and I too have this. At times, unsure why child devices will get created that already exist. I then have to pick the one that was most recently updated and delete the other one.

That's been going on as long as I can remember to when I first got the two units I have about a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X