WeatherXML and NOAA GIF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WeatherXML and NOAA GIF files

Been trying to incorporate newest NOAA GIF files to WeatherXML current version.

It works fine when I look at the variable in Homeseer 3 GUI.

[ATTACH]69724[/ATTACH]

That said when I try to use the GIF in HS3 Designer it locks up designer and Windows Server version 2003. Never seen this before.

I can load the GIF fine on the Homeseer Touch screens running XPe desktop with IE or Firefox.

Anyone try this?

I have attached the GIF file (does the same for any NOAA GIF file downloaded). The one attached is 10Mb.

Here is a direct link to the gif.

USLoop

I have put it on Microsoft Drive as it will not fit here as an attachment.

Downloaded GIF zipped.
    Last edited by Pete; July 20, 2018, 10:24 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Any one try this yet?

Here configuring my Kodi weather pages to utilizing these new images.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I didn't think that HSTouch supported animated gifs.

I really don't do much with maps anymore. I tend to use the weather data in some speak events and for event conditions but don't use the weatherxml web pages anymore, other than to check them occasionally for testing.
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Comment

I'll spare you guys all the things I tried to get this to show up with no success. But I will say I opened up the file itself and retreived one of the images, and I cannot get the image saved as a .png to show up either. It appears the images the gif file is made up with are for some reason not viewable by hstouch.? It sounds ridiculous.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Jeff.

Yeah here have used GIF files here for a long time with HSTouch. That was a bugzilla issue relating to using HSDesigner / HSTouch a few years back. Since then I have used many animated Gifs for my weather screens. Over the years transitioned most of these over to using the Unisys images. Now finding the NOAA GEOS 16 images have switched.

NOAA today has current / archived images in JPG, GIF and PNG formats which work for me and I can see them fine using Internet Explorer or Firefox here. It is only the GIF file display in HS Designer right now that locks up Designer and PC which I have never experienced.

I am starting to utilize the static JPGs as screen saver images. I am amazed at the quality of these images.

Yes too related to weather primary weather here is from weather station and sensors in place.

I do pull down NOAA satellite pictures via SDR but the image quality is totally different than the GOES 16 pictures.

[ATTACH]69851[/ATTACH]

Midwest GIF turned to a JPG.

[ATTACH]69852[/ATTACH]
            Last edited by Pete; July 11, 2018, 05:45 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

and I cannot get the image saved as a .png to show up either

The image is there but doesn't show up all of the time so I moved it to a URL link of the image rather than using the device status image.

Utilize VNC here to get to my touchscreens...and an old version .36 of Windows HSTouch client.

Just noticed too that the top image below is a cached image from yesterday. I shut down HSTouch on the touchscreen and reloaded it to get current image.

Will upgrade client to most current version to see about seeing the GIF files. Never really touch my HSTouch screens much lately.

[ATTACH]69853[/ATTACH]

Got Jeff's MAP status image to show up fine using current version of HSDesigner and HS Windows Client .30.

GIF files still lock up the designer and computer. Might try embedding the gif maps in a web page under html on the mothership which is the same way I use today for old flash files.

[ATTACH]69854[/ATTACH]
              Last edited by Pete; July 11, 2018, 07:52 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am now thinking that the GIF file is too big for display using HSDesigner.

File size: 13.01MiB, width: 900px, height: 540px, frames: 74, type: gif

[ATTACH]69857[/ATTACH]

I converted the 9 second GIF to MP4 video and it plays back fine using HTML5.

[ATTACH]69858[/ATTACH]
                Last edited by Pete; July 11, 2018, 10:08 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Updating the Homeseer client and using the link to the status of the device didn't work as I had a blank - black image after a few hours.

Keeping same version of HSTouch put the image back in the URL link and it seems to be working. The NOAA gif files still abend HSDesigner and computer such that I kill the application to get out of it if I do it fast. If I wait the whole screen locks up with no BSOD.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Jon00 has the Image Utility Plugin, and I downloaded it a few months ago, but have yet to mess with it. Is this a situation where that utility would be useful? Can it reduce the size of a gif file?

Comment

Thank you Thomas. Will give it a try. Thinking the issue is relating to the number of frames in the GIF image.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So tested the GIF file display editing the Wintel Touch xml file and reloading HSTouch.

Works fine.

Touch tablets gif display also works fine with Polybytes, IE and Firefox.

Then installed HSDesigner on W7 and W10 (I5 16Gb of memory) laptops. Loading the GIF file with a link to it or via the device status icon (weatherxml) still causes HSDesigner to lock up.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I was able to get the gif file to work in HSDesigner. It is documented here but I couldn't find it. There was an issue a while back with some updating of HSDesigner betas that broke it. Then it was fixed.

Basically it is just a text box and you insert the html for the gif file in the text part of the text box.

Resizing sort of works so instead created a few line html file with the resize of the gif file attached to the link.

Just put this in your html page.

Code:
                          img src="/images/weatherXML/maps/downloadMap_2_1.gif" alt="NOAA1" style="width:600px;height:400px;"
                          Noticed a few connection errors when downloading some times and leaving it open in Firefox will over time cause Firefox to error out and exit.
                          Last edited by Pete; July 21, 2018, 09:05 PM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                          X