Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Started

I am just getting started with home automation on a new vacation home, and want to start with the furnaces. I've looked briefly at different software packages and I think I am going to go with HomeSeer, as I want internet control over the home.

I've looked at X10, but see that there are several other up-and-coming technologies. I see that X10 is controlled over the AC lines, but I was wondering if there are IP or 802.11 as I am wiring the home for network and wireless capability with a central server.

I've perused this forum, but am not seeing where to get started. Once I have that figured out I want to expand to lighting, jacuzzi, and security. Any pointers in the right direction would be wonderful!

Hi Litho and welcome to HomeSeer.
    Originally posted by litho
    I am just getting started with home automation on a new vacation home, and want to start with the furnaces. I've looked briefly at different software packages and I think I am going to go with HomeSeer, as I want internet control over the home.
    A very good decision to go with HomeSeer or HS for short. I started with Automated Home then went on to Zeus. There will always be new techologies, this one is tried and proven. When new stuff appears HS does look at it and adapts, Z Wave is an example. It also offers probably the best support and advice of any product I can think of in the way of this BBS and the help desk on HS's web site.
    I've looked at X10, but see that there are several other up-and-coming technologies. I see that X10 is controlled over the AC lines, but I was wondering if there are IP or 802.11 as I am wiring the home for network and wireless capability with a central server.
    I have basically only used X10, I know Philips have a system and there is Z Wave, you can read about Z Wave on this BBS. not sure what you mean by 802.11. You can remotely control HS by phone, e-mail or internet, and it does have wireless capability and can run on a server which at the end of the day is a computer.
    I've perused this forum, but am not seeing where to get started. Once I have that figured out I want to expand to lighting, jacuzzi, and security. Any pointers in the right direction would be wonderful!
    Start with basic instalation, get to know how HS operates and what it expects from you in the way of cammands, scripts etc. and take off from there. Decide on the X10 (or whatever type of modules you decide to go for) that fit your needs best. Read this BBS, it's a great learning tool and if you don't find the answer, ask.

Beware, there is one limatation with HomeSeer which none of the HomeSeer tech's have been able to sort, and the only thing that prevents HomeSeer from doing anything and everything:

Your Imagination
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Newbie & HS

Hi Litho:
      I am a relitive newbie to HS just a few months. But have been using X-10 since 1998 with Active Home. From my experience a) as a novice and b) as a non programer, HS is by far the best software on the market. X-10 has some little problems but these can be overcome as you progress. The ease of HS is straight out of the box even for a non computer person, as you expand your requirements these guy's on the BB are second to none. If its been done then they will tell how, if its new then someone will have an answer shortly.
      Check out the other software BB and you will see what I mean.
      Good luck.
      Mike

Comment

I am just getting started with home automation on a new vacation home, and want to start with the furnaces.
        Litho,
        Welcome times 2. One favor from you if you don't mind would be to update your profile to indicate where you are from. There are may members on this BB and many are form areas outside the US. This information can come into play when answering questions because other areas outside the US use different modules and have different power requirements.

Now on to your first goal - furnaces. Using HomeSeer and a free plugin you can control many different types of thermostats. I personally use an RCS TX15B thermostat. With an always on broadband connection and an always on PC I can control my tstat from anywhere in the world that has web access or cell phone access. So I have a couple of questions for you. Are you planning on leaving on a PC at all times? Do you have dial up or broadband web access. Is it going to be easy to run wires from your PC to your thermostat? All of these questions have bearing on the type of tstat and how you are desiring to control it. Let us know and we can offer more suggestions.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Here's a note of clarification:

I was wondering if there are IP or 802.11 as I am wiring the home for network and wireless capability
          The home has a central server that will be on a permanent broadband connection, and will run the HS software. I've run some network cable for computer use, but I don't know what I'll be needing for the X10 or other controls. There will be a wireless (803.11) switch so any wireless capable device in the house can hook in to the network. That's why I'm wondering if any X10 or specific line of home automation devices are wirless capable so that I don't need to worry about where I run other lines. Or do I need to run extra Cat5 (network line) from the server to the device(s)?

The sheetrockers are not going to be starting until later next week, so any wiring changes I need to get in place would best be done now.

Thanks again for the input!

Comment

Working...
          X