Node only has 2 neighbors - optimize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Node only has 2 neighbors - optimize

I added a new node, which is working fine.

I ran optimize, and full optimize. Then audit, it only has 2 neighbors, and they are the 2 the furthest away. There are at least 4 much closer. I ran optimize and full optimize on those, reran the new node. Same result.
    Then did optimize and full on the entire system. Same result.

any thoughts?

Also, I thought I read once there is a way to have the system automatically optimize periodically, though I am not currently having any issues.

tags: Optimize, full optimize, audit, node neighbors
    Last edited by CinBRandon; March 28, 2018, 08:55 AM.

I decided to run optimize again today, not it's down to one neighbor, and I know there are at least 4 devices that are much much closer.

Is there a way to "force" other neighbors, or get it to have more neighbors?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

Is the device in question not working properly? Are the devices near it power line devices or battery operated devices?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It is working properly, but with only one neighbor, I found it interesting and a bit concerning. The devices that are near it, that I'm counting, are line powered devices. Not counting battery devices.

2 Wall switches, thermostat, garage control, etc. Those devices are neighbors to other devices, etc.

As I type this, I ran optimize again today. It is now showing three neighbors, though 2 of those are the furthest ones away. There are definitely at least 3 closer.

I've wondered this before about other devices, how they sometimes show a neighbor 4 rooms away, but not one directly half way between the hub and itself, no walls, doors, etc in between.

Comment

Originally posted by CinBRandon View Post
          It is working properly, but with only one neighbor, I found it interesting and a bit concerning. The devices that are near it, that I'm counting, are line powered devices. Not counting battery devices.

2 Wall switches, thermostat, garage control, etc. Those devices are neighbors to other devices, etc.

As I type this, I ran optimize again today. It is now showing three neighbors, though 2 of those are the furthest ones away. There are definitely at least 3 closer.

I've wondered this before about other devices, how they sometimes show a neighbor 4 rooms away, but not one directly half way between the hub and itself, no walls, doors, etc in between.
          I noticed something very similar during my testing recently (new to HS3) and I have 2 Zooz ZEN22 dimmers and an Aeotec SmartPlug 6 that all show less than 4 neighbors and bounce between 2 and 5 neighbors. The odd thing is they are within 20 feet of each other and there are 5 other hard wired z-wave devices (switches and thermostat) all in the same area that show 10+ neighbors each.

Now the Aeotec plug I'll pass it off as having been moved in the last couple of days (however I have ran a couple optimizes since moving it).

As for the two ZEN22 dimmers. I also get z-wave errors periodically to those two switches. I'm beginning to question if those switches are bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Is the device in question not working properly? Are the devices near it power line devices or battery operated devices?
            Rupp - could you elaborate on what effect Powerline and battery operated devices could have on z-wave devices and best practice?

Cheers
            Scott

Comment

Powerline devices will repeat all of the z-wave signals, adding to the “mesh wireless network.”

Battery powered devices do not repeat sognals. They receive signals and only transmit signals that pertain specifically to themselves, thus saving battery, but not helping repeat the other z-wave signals to other devices.

Or at least this is my understanding. ��

Comment

Ah right, I thought Rupp meant IP/Power type Powerline might affect z-wave. I have a couple of z-wave power sockets in the shed which are unrelable - they are close to a Devolo IP over Power wireless box.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                X