HS-WS200+ LED vs resistive load ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-WS200+ LED vs resistive load ratings

In my shop, I have 162W LED linear high bay lights, wired 3 per switch.

The HS-WS200+ specs list 1800W (15 amp) resistive load but only 200W LED/CFL load.

Since this is a switch and not a dimmer, is there a reason why the LED load spec is so much lower than the resistive load?

I haven't opened one up to look at it, but if the load is switched by a 15A relay, isn't 15 amps = 15 amps regardless of the type of load??

Thanks,
    Shawn

Might be related to limiting inrush current, which could potentially damage the switch?

https://www.meanwellaustralia.com.au/news/avoiding-led-driver-inrush-current-problems

Comment

Interesting, thanks -- that makes sense. Sounds like a lot of variables to inrush current, so 200W would be a safe/conservative rating without knowing all the details of the load.

Seems odd that with the proliferation of LED's, inrush current limiting devices are not readily available online. Also, odd that the spec sheet for my lights does not list inrush current (they are newer, commercial lights).

Makes me wonder if the ~1 second delay when turning on newer LED lights may be related to inrush current limiting components built into the driver.

Guess I need to open up one of the lights and see if I can find a spec sheet on the driver. A lot of the concern about inrush current seems to be when there are many (8+) individual drivers wired in parallel on one circuit, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnB View Post
        Guess I need to open up one of the lights and see if I can find a spec sheet on the driver. A lot of the concern about inrush current seems to be when there are many (8+) individual drivers wired in parallel on one circuit, so maybe I'm overthinking it.
        I actually have a datapoint that might be related to this issue, mine is with the WD200 dimmers rather than the switches.

I've had several WD200+ die on me after a few days, and all of those happen to be hooked up the circuits with multiple bulbs wired in parallel. In my case they were five 11W Philips LED BR30 lights, and I tried replacing the dimmer 3 times, and it killed all three times. The WD200+ spec states 600W incandesces, 150W for LED/CFL.

Other dimmers I had purchased at the same time are working just fine on circuits with one or two lights.

Comment

The limit for an LED load is likely related to voltage, not current. LEDs are inductive. When the switch breaks the circuit, the induced voltage is dissipated to avoid damaging the switch. I assume HS is confident the transient suppression circuitry can handle voltages that might be induced by a load of up to 200 watts and that anything above that could lead to premature, if not catastrophic, failure of the switch.

Cliff
          Last edited by calligoo; October 16, 2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X